The most nerve wracking time of our life

by wolram
Tags: life, nerve, time, wracking
nsaspook
Nov22-12, 11:00 PM
P: 494
Spending 3 months (We left port in January for the mission that ended in April) waiting for the 1980 Iran rescue to happen while operating with the Nimiz battle group as a staff communications technical controller near Oman praying that more than half the people involved would make it out alive. Then having to deliver the news to our commanders that the mission had failed, we left dead men behind and having to deliver the whole story of what happened to the crew from the Russian TASS news service broadcasts from Afghanistan because all we could offically release was the message from the President.

http://millercenter.org/president/speeches/detail/3936
http://www.press.umich.edu/pdf/0472108670-03.pdf
Evo
Nov22-12, 11:10 PM
Mentor
P: 25,940
Funny what affects people. I witnessed a murder, the man was shot down across the street from me. The murderer was holding a shotgun hanging out of the backseat window of a car driving by. Didn't affect me.

A bomb threat was called in by the KKK as being left in the elevator 10 feet from my desk at a radio station that got bombed earlier. The police and the FBI came, removed some parts of our radio tower that was bombed (left in the elevator by the bombers), that they claimed was another bomb. They didn't evacuate us, hmmm. Didn't affect me.

I could go on and on about life threatening and very tragic events in my life and they didn't effect me. I have trouble even remembering a lot of them. I've had an odd life.

I broke a date with a guy and he killed himself. His family and friends blamed me. Yeah, there's a bit more to this story, but not much.

Oh, when I was young, living at home, I lived around the corner from the boy who's body was the first to be found that turned out to be the 28th victim of a serial killer. That was sad, had to take a back road to my house due to all of the police.

When I got my first apartment, detectives knocked on my door questioning me, the girl that lived next door had been murdered.

Went to work, noticed that the glass door was smashed, just missed a gunman that had broken in and opened fire and killed 2 people.

My best friend at the same workplace borrowed a nickel from me to buy a soda, I must have given him a strange look because he said "hey, it's not like you'll never see me again", I never saw him again, he was murdered a few hours later, shot through the head in his own car.

BTW, I lived in wealthy areas with almost no crime, worked for one of the world's largest companies in a nice area.
TheMadMonk
Nov22-12, 11:22 PM
P: 11
Getting shot at in Angola was a pretty rubbish experience. Felt pretty helpless sitting there hoping I didn't get hit.
Evo
Nov22-12, 11:29 PM
Mentor
Quote Quote by TheMadMonk View Post
Getting shot at in Angola was a pretty rubbish experience. Felt pretty helpless sitting there hoping I didn't get hit.
That definitely sucks.
Evo
Nov22-12, 11:42 PM
Mentor
Quote Quote by Thermate View Post
Do you know what PTSD is?
Oh yeah, I was in an elevator crash where there was an explosion and the cable broke, the safety cable caught and prevented us (me and my two little girls) from falling all the way. The ceiling crashed on us, flourescent bulbs shattered, we were cut by glass and metal rods from the ceiling and we were trapped for 2 hours, covered by debris between floors until they could attach a cable to the car and manually winch us up. I had the girls curl up on the floor and covered them with clothing I had purchased (we were in a department store), both to protect them from breathing the heavy white vapor in the elevator, the falling debris and in case we fell again, i wanted them on the floor. The elevator would rock if we moved and parts of the ceiling that was still hanging above us was falling. The girls suffered from PTSD, couldn't even get them into a public builiding until after a couple of years of therapy.
TheMadMonk
Nov23-12, 12:05 AM
Quote Quote by Evo View Post
That definitely sucks.
Funny thing is I'd been shot at before elsewhere and it hadn't really bothered me anywhere near as much, I'm not sure why that had such an effect when similar incidents didn't seem to.
Evo
Nov23-12, 12:19 AM
Mentor
Quote Quote by TheMadMonk View Post
Funny thing is I'd been shot at before elsewhere and it hadn't really bothered me anywhere near as much, I'm not sure why that had such an effect when similar incidents didn't seem to.
I think being shot at any time would be nerve wracking. I certainly don't want to experience that.
TheMadMonk
Nov23-12, 06:06 AM
I think being shot at any time would be nerve wracking. I certainly don't want to experience that.
I've found it to be quite exciting at times for some odd reason, probably quite a dangerous way to think but I can't really explain it.
nobahar
Nov23-12, 03:51 PM
P: 503
Evo, remind me to never hang-out with you.
turbo
Nov23-12, 04:27 PM
PF Gold
P: 7,367
No fun!
turbo
Nov23-12, 04:35 PM
PF Gold
P: 7,367
I was shot at by a hunter from New Jersey who heard me coming through the woods and assumed that I was a deer.
dlgoff
Nov23-12, 06:17 PM
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 2,633
I shouldn't have looked at this thread. The electrocution thing brings back a memory I just as soon forget. Now that the images are clear in my mind now, I guess I'll share.

It had been a long work week of 12-14 hours/day doing electrical maintenance at this chemical plant; one project being installing some conduit into a large control panel/cabinet. This cabinet was about 7 feet high with access doors which were open in order to fasten the new conduit coming from above. Inside this cabinet was a maze of relays, switches, etc with live 440vac on them.

There were three of four of us doing the job; me being on a ladder, which was leaning on the front of the cabinet, directing the conduit down into its entry hole. As I was trying to get it aligned and inserted for the person below to fasten, the ladder flipped over throwing me directly into the cabinet.

They say, "things move in slow motion as your life flashes before you". It's true.

Well, one on the guys reacted very quickly putting himself in the cabinet and deflecting my trajectory. He put himself at risk as we both were within inches from the power as I crashed down.

I stood up shaking like a leaf with the first thing out of my mouth being, "Thank you for saving my life".
wolram
Dec2-12, 12:42 PM
PF Gold
P: 3,669
Quote Quote by dlgoff View Post
I shouldn't have looked at this thread. The electrocution thing brings back a memory I just as soon forget. Now that the images are clear in my mind now, I guess I'll share.

It had been a long work week of 12-14 hours/day doing electrical maintenance at this chemical plant; one project being installing some conduit into a large control panel/cabinet. This cabinet was about 7 feet high with access doors which were open in order to fasten the new conduit coming from above. Inside this cabinet was a maze of relays, switches, etc with live 440vac on them.

There were three of four of us doing the job; me being on a ladder, which was leaning on the front of the cabinet, directing the conduit down into its entry hole. As I was trying to get it aligned and inserted for the person below to fasten, the ladder flipped over throwing me directly into the cabinet.

They say, "things move in slow motion as your life flashes before you". It's true.

Well, one on the guys reacted very quickly putting himself in the cabinet and deflecting my trajectory. He put himself at risk as we both were within inches from the power as I crashed down.

I stood up shaking like a leaf with the first thing out of my mouth being, "Thank you for saving my life".
A very lucky escape, i have had a few near misses with HV electtrics
Danger
Dec2-12, 08:33 PM
PF Gold
P: 8,961
Quote Quote by dlgoff View Post
Too true. I have experienced the time dilation effect hundreds or maybe even thousands of times, when circumstances demanded it. No "life flashes" though; it was just a matter of my mental processes accelerating to an incredible level so that everything appeared to happen in extreme slow motion. A few times, it saved my life (like when I fell head-first directly onto a spike-belt conveyor from 3 metres above, and landed on my feet beside it); most times, it allowed me (as pitcher) to catch a ball that the batter had aimed at me in hope of hurting me. There was also the occasional bar fight...
I was originally going to say the my most nerve-wracking experience was that bit about dying last year, but in retrospect that seems sort of mild.
trueo
Dec2-12, 09:02 PM
P: 18
You experienced similar fights before; or do you want them to take place with you in some very near future ? <<< this is why I believe I don't have a flight and I will never accept or be accepted to deal with anyone in charge, especially those who could see me from above
Pythagorean
Dec3-12, 02:27 PM
PF Gold
P: 4,182
The birth of my first child. We did it in a hospital and it was like medieval England.

Second child was in a birth center with midwives. Way smoother and more enjoyable.
Jimmy Snyder
Dec3-12, 06:14 PM
P: 2,163
My daughter was born in Japan. When my wife went to birthing lessons at the hospital, I asked to join in. However, they told me husbands were not allowed. Then when the time came I asked if I could be in the delivery room and they said no because I hadn't taken birthing lessons. When I first saw my daughter it was a few minutes after she was born. Right away I noticed a drop of blood on her forehead and it made me think she got hurt coming down the birth canal. Then it hit me that when she was born she was covered head to foot in blood and that she had been cleaned up.
Pythagorean
Dec3-12, 06:31 PM
PF Gold
P: 4,182
In the hospital birth, they stuck a thermometer right in my daughter's head. We didn't realize it actually gets stabbed into the top of the head until she was out. I'm telling you, medieval!

Register to reply