Calculating Power for Hovering Thrust of a Fan

In summary, the conversation is about calculating the power required for a hovering fan based on given variables such as the diameter of the fan, thrust output, air density, and fan efficiency. The equation used to calculate this power is questioned and alternative equations are suggested for further research. There is also a discussion about the units used for thrust and potential solutions to the issue.
reebrah
Basically I am doing work that requires me to calculate power for given thrust of a fan which is hovering.

Variables known:
diameter of fan: 0.8m, thrust output of fan: 250kg, rho=1.1455 kg/m^3 which is the density of air at 35Celcius , and eta which is the fan efficiency = 0.8

I tried this equation I found on wikipedia:

P^2 = (T^3) / ( (eta^2)(rho)A)

using this equation I got 7322w of power to attain a thrust of 250kg...This seems a little off. What is wrong here? does anyone know if this is even the correct value or even correct equation? thank you and appreciate it!

Engineering news on Phys.org
True but in this equation the eta^2 is replaced with a 4. This would then further decrease the power estimated from this relation. Anybody else know anything for hovering thrust?

Did you forget that thrust is in Newtons, not "kilograms"?

I think that might just solve my problem lolz

At least it will give you a bigger number. 7kW is obviously way too small for a quarter-tonne chopper with a teeny little 0.8m dia rotor :biggrin:

1. What is hovering thrust calculation?

Hovering thrust calculation is the process of determining the amount of thrust required to keep an object suspended in the air without any vertical movement. It is commonly used in the design of aircraft, helicopters, and other flying vehicles.

2. What factors affect hovering thrust calculation?

Several factors can affect hovering thrust calculation, including the weight of the object, air density, airfoil design, and engine efficiency. These factors must be carefully considered in order to accurately calculate the required thrust.

3. How is hovering thrust calculated?

Hovering thrust is calculated by first determining the weight of the object and then using the equation F = mg, where F is the force of thrust, m is the mass of the object, and g is the force of gravity. Additional factors such as air density and engine efficiency can also be taken into account in more complex calculations.

4. Why is hovering thrust calculation important?

Hovering thrust calculation is important because it allows engineers to design flying vehicles that are capable of achieving and maintaining stable flight. Without accurate calculations, a vehicle may not have enough thrust to stay airborne or may use too much fuel, leading to inefficiency and potential safety risks.

5. How can hovering thrust calculation be applied in real-world situations?

Hovering thrust calculation is commonly used in the design and testing of aircraft and helicopters. It can also be applied in other situations, such as the development of drones, hovercrafts, and other types of flying vehicles. Additionally, understanding hovering thrust can help pilots make adjustments during flight to maintain stability and control.