Register to reply

How to compute this integral ?

by y33t
Tags: compute, integral
Share this thread:
y33t
Dec4-12, 03:25 PM
P: 107
As the title obviously states, how can I evaluate this integral by hand ? I know the result of it, I need to learn how to do it.

∫(z2+x2)-3/2dx

Thanks in advance.
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Scientists develop 'electronic nose' for rapid detection of C. diff infection
Why plants in the office make us more productive
Tesla Motors dealing as states play factory poker
arildno
Dec4-12, 03:29 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
PF Gold
P: 12,016
Letting "x" be the variable to integrate first, set x=z*Sinh(u), where Sinh(u) is the hyperbolic sine function.
y33t
Dec4-12, 03:57 PM
P: 107
Quote Quote by arildno View Post
Letting "x" be the variable to integrate first, set x=z*Sinh(u), where Sinh(u) is the hyperbolic sine function.
I didn't get it, it's from a simple example from a textbook. There should be a simpler way of doing this because it just skips the evaluation of this integral and directly passes to the result as if it's "that" easy to do. Any simpler solutions ?

arildno
Dec4-12, 04:05 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
PF Gold
How to compute this integral ?

Quote Quote by y33t View Post
I didn't get it, it's from a simple example from a textbook. There should be a simpler way of doing this because it just skips the evaluation of this integral and directly passes to the result as if it's "that" easy to do. Any simpler solutions ?
No.

it is NOT a particularly easy integral to evaluate, in that it is rather lengthy to do so.
That is probably why your book skipped it.
dextercioby
Dec4-12, 04:08 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
P: 11,927
x=z tan t can also do the trick.
arildno
Dec4-12, 04:11 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
PF Gold
Quote Quote by dextercioby View Post
x=z tan t can also do the trick.
Sure enough.
Scribbling out the solution with tan(t) or Sinh(t) takes about the same amount of time and space, though..
arildno
Dec5-12, 09:03 AM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
PF Gold
The actual derivation is rather lengthy, but here it is:
1. x=zSinh(t).
Thus, we have:
[tex]dx=z\cosh(t)dt[/tex]
[tex]z^{2}+x^{2}=z^{2}(1+\sinh^{2}(t))=z^{2}\cosh^{2}(t)[/tex]
Thus, the integral can be simplified to:
[tex]\int\frac{dt}{z|z|\cosh^{2}(t)}[/tex]
2. This is readily integrated to:
[tex]\frac{\tanh(t)}{z|z|}=\frac{x}{z^{2}\sqrt{z^{2}+x^{2}}}[/tex]
HallsofIvy
Dec6-12, 09:25 AM
Math
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
Thanks
PF Gold
P: 39,564
Arildno really likes the hyperbolic function substitutions. Personally, I prefer trig substitutions, perhaps only because they were the first ones I learned.

We know, of course, that [itex]sin^2(\theta)+ cos^2(\theta)= 1[/itex] and, dividing through by [itex]cos^2(\theta)[/itex], [itex]tan^2(\theta)+ 1= sec^2(\theta)[/itex].

So if we let [itex]x= z tan(\theta)[/itex], [itex]z^2+ x^2= z^2+ z^2tan^2(\theta)= z^2(1+ tan^2(\theta)_= z^2sec^2(\theta)[/itex]. Of course, [itex]dx= z sec^2(\theta)d\theta[/itex] so the integral becomes
[tex]\int\frac{z sec^2(\theta)}{z^3 sec^3(\theta)}d\theta= \int \frac{1}{sec(\theta)}d\theta[/tex]
[tex]= \int cos(\theta) d\theta[/tex]
which is easy.

Since [itex]\theta= arctan(x/z)[/itex], the integral will eventually give [itex]sin(arctan(x/z))[/itex]. You can imagine that as describing a right triangle with legs x and z (x opposite the angle) so that the hypotenuse has length [itex]\sqrt{x^2+ z^2}[/itex] and [itex]sin(arctan(x/z))= \frac{x}{\sqrt{x^2+ z^2}}[/itex].
swle
Dec6-12, 02:13 PM
P: 9
Sorry that this is a bit late, but is Z a real number?
If not then you could use Cauchy: non-holomorphic points will be at z^2 = - x^2 ( e.g. x =1, z = i).

Register to reply