Is it reasonable to pursue a medical science PhD?

In summary: You may also want to consider the opportunity cost of pursuing a PhD, as it may take several years and may delay your career in accounting. In summary, the speaker is currently pursuing a career in accounting but has a strong interest in medical science. They have concerns about the stability and time commitment of a PhD in the medical science field and whether it is worth it for their career goals. They may consider alternative ways to learn about the field, such as online classes and attending conferences.
HiILikeMath
I'm in accounting now and plan to graduate in spring of '14. My Plan A has been to pursue accounting, retire early, and do with the rest of my life what I like - probably something related to science. I want or wanted to learn independently the sciences and risk having no way to contribute formally as a layman.

The main concerns I had that deterred me from pursuing a medical science PhD are mainly:

A. Employment is said to be unstable, more so than any other sector. I'm rather risk-averse in this regard which is why I chose accounting.

B. The prospect of a long period being a postdoc. One interview I watched on this subject suggested that, in total, you could expect about 20 years of schooling and postdoc before you are really employable. I have some confusion on this though, is the postdoc only necessary to become a professor?

C. I'm 22 now and have my roots set it seems in a business career. Considering there's no commonalities with this and science, I can expect about 9 more years before I'd have a PhD completed from when I set out to start (which might be a few more years to get a job first and clear my debt). The opportunity cost is tremendous when you consider the money/experience I'd get in accounting. Money isn't the prime motivator , but I'm a pragmatist.

D. I'm not sure that even with a PhD I can do what I'd like. I like to see the whole picture and wouldn't like a career that is focused on one super specific thing. I'm interested in interdisciplinary fields like psychoneuroimmunology however. I'm fascinated in particular with one researcher of that field (Michael Maes) who has done exactly what my dream is, which is crisply tie together many different areas to explain for instance, CFS/FMS or depression.

With that said I can't say I see myself as passionate about anything other than medical science, which is why my Plan A has had appeal in that I could be secure in a career while also learning the science in my own time. If I knew it were worth it to get a PhD and could do the things I like, am I at a disadvantage being where I'm at now with accounting? I think by the time I'd be ready to transition into science if I did, online schooling might be more realistic and I could knock out classes without giving up a full time job before going for the doctorate (if that can be done).

I know this is an overused question but: is a PhD really worth it in my case?

Physics news on Phys.org
It really depends on what you want to get out of it. If you are looking for a more stable career in the sciences, then a PhD may be worth it. However, if you are looking for an interdisciplinary field like psychoneuroimmunology, you may find that a PhD isn't necessary. You may be better off doing research in your spare time and attending conferences and lectures related to the field. Additionally, if you have the resources, you may find it beneficial to take online classes related to the field. Ultimately, it is up to you to decide if a PhD is worth it in your case.

1. Is a medical science PhD worth the time and effort?

The answer to this question depends on your personal goals and interests. Pursuing a medical science PhD can lead to a rewarding career in research, academia, or industry. It also provides a deep understanding of the field and can open up opportunities for leadership positions. However, it is a long and challenging journey that requires dedication and perseverance.

2. What are the job prospects for those with a medical science PhD?

Job prospects for individuals with a medical science PhD are generally positive. There is a high demand for highly trained and specialized scientists in various industries, including pharmaceuticals, biotechnology, and academia. However, it is important to note that the job market can be competitive, and obtaining a PhD does not guarantee a job. Networking, gaining relevant experience, and building a strong research portfolio can increase your chances of securing a job.

3. How long does it take to complete a medical science PhD program?

The duration of a medical science PhD program can vary, but it typically takes 4-6 years to complete. This includes coursework, research, and dissertation writing. However, the time may also depend on the individual's progress, research topic, and any unforeseen circumstances. It is important to carefully plan and manage your time to ensure timely completion of the program.

4. What skills do I need to have to pursue a medical science PhD?

In addition to a strong academic background in science, pursuing a medical science PhD requires critical thinking, problem-solving, and communication skills. You should also have a passion for research and the ability to work independently. Other important skills include time management, organization, and teamwork.

5. Can I work while pursuing a medical science PhD?

Working while pursuing a medical science PhD can be challenging, as it is a full-time commitment. However, some programs may offer part-time options or allow students to work as teaching or research assistants. It is important to carefully consider your workload and prioritize your studies to ensure success in the program.