by protonchain
Tags: random
Share this thread:
OmCheeto
Dec7-12, 09:22 AM
PF Gold
P: 1,433
Quote Quote by Evo View Post
The urinals on the wall are always a dead give away.
That would explain why:

About a month ago I noticed a young man going into the men's room at work. About one second later, the door flew open and he exited quite red faced.

They had remodeled the room about 7 years ago, splitting it into separate alter-abled and men's room. They didn't have room for even a single urinal on the new mini-me men's room wall.

The young man double checked the sign next to the entrance, went back in, and I presume, finished his business.
BobG
Dec7-12, 03:56 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
P: 2,280
Quote Quote by BobG View Post
Has this ever happened to you?
Quote Quote by my sister
I did that once too. I was in a Third World foreign country at the airport, jet-lagged and stupid, walked into the bathroom and thought "Hmm, they have urinals in the ladies' room in this country...how interesting". When I came out of the stall, a man was in there and laughed at me. It's one of those things that seems funny after a bit of time has passed.
What a bizarre coincidence.

Except instead of being in a third world country and suffering from jet-lag, I was in my classroom on a Friday afternoon, transferring updated powerpoint slides from the network drive to the classroom computer hard drive.

And instead of noticing urinals in the classroom and thinking "how interesting", I noticed a lot of extra files on the classroom hard drive and thought, "Who the heck put all this extra stuff on here?" (I only need the powerpoint slides on the classroom computer.)

And instead of a man standing there, laughing at me, there was only me, shocked to find only old powerpoint slides on the "network drive".... and slowly realizing I'd just deleted my entire course from the network drive.

Fortunately, I'd already printed everything I need for next week's class and the "old" power point slides were only missing the updates I'd made this morning. And, naturally, the network drives are backed up every night, so I only lost the 3 hours of work I put in this morning.

So maybe it will seem funny after a bit of time?

Probably not.
dkin
Dec7-12, 08:01 PM
P: 5
Quote Quote by Jimmy Snyder View Post
Which page?
On page 95
w = ez or z = logw

On page 96

First he uses wz = ezlogw
In this case he replaces the z he had been using previously with logw and introduces a new z

On page 97
he returns to the definition he was using before the previous paragraph except this time with log to the base b
w = bz

on page 98 he returns to the z used on page 96 briefly and then introduces the zth root of a complex number (w1/z).

Ridiculous.
Jimmy Snyder
Dec7-12, 08:33 PM
P: 2,179
Quote Quote by dkin View Post
Ridiculous.
Ah, now I see what you mean. However, it starts much earlier than page 95. If you look on page 25, Fig. 2.1, you will see the letters a and b used for the sides of a right triangle. Then in Fig 2.8 on page 30 he shows a completely different triangle, not even a right triangle and yet he uses the same letters a and b for the sides. Then on page 52 he uses a and b, not for sides of a triangle, but for integers. He shouldn't reuse letters like that, it's very confusing.
Astronuc
Dec7-12, 09:29 PM
Admin
P: 21,883
Quote Quote by dkin View Post
On page 95
w = ez or z = logw

On page 96

First he uses wz = ezlogw
In this case he replaces the z he had been using previously with logw and introduces a new z

On page 97
he returns to the definition he was using before the previous paragraph except this time with log to the base b
w = bz

on page 98 he returns to the z used on page 96 briefly and then introduces the zth root of a complex number (w1/z).

Ridiculous.
but z is any complex number, e.g., z = x + iy in Cartesian coordinates, or z = r e = r (cos θ + i sin θ), and w = f(z) = u(x,y) + i v(x,y), where u and v are any real-valued functions.

However, if one is a EE, the i = j, and i is something else like current.

For some reason, I enjoyed complex analysis.
Astronuc
Dec7-12, 09:34 PM
Admin
P: 21,883
Quote Quote by BobG View Post
Just out of curiosity, are you folks digging up these bathroom pictures from the internet or you snapping these pictures yourself right before you post?

With the advent of laptops and mobile smartphones, almost a third of people now visit social networking sites while using the bathroom.
My office mate was out last night, and eventually noticed that he was doing facetime with someone. He quickly checked to find out the he was doing facetime with a client, and the guy had been watching him (an alternating view of his face and the ceiling) for some time. He stopped the facetime and sent a message apologizing for unintentionally broadcasting himself.

Fortunately, he wasn't doing anything for which he would be ashamed.
nazarbaz
Dec8-12, 03:20 AM
P: 44
There is no legitimate foundation to "power" : the best it could do is to be guided toward the achievement of reasonable goals.
Who and what is "reasonable" in the world we live in ? Well, certainly not me... Are you "reasonable" ?
Borek
Dec8-12, 03:23 AM
Admin
P: 23,599
I have looked through the window at the feeder and told Marzena chickadees eat seeds as if the world was going to end soon.

Then I started to think - do they know something we don't know?
xunxine
Dec8-12, 09:23 AM
P: 27
When child actors grow up, do they become adult actors?
turbo
Dec8-12, 12:14 PM
PF Gold
P: 7,363
Quote Quote by Borek View Post
I have looked through the window at the feeder and told Marzena chickadees eat seeds as if the world was going to end soon.

Then I started to think - do they know something we don't know?
Chickadees are little pigs at seed-feeders. At least they are not wasteful, like the goldfinches. Goldfinches will take a sunflower seed out of the feeder, then drop it on the ground. They do this over and over again. A flock of goldfinches can clean out my seed feeder in no time, and most of the seeds end up in a pile on the patio.
Jimmy Snyder
Dec8-12, 03:53 PM
I just got back from watching the movie Anna Karenina. The movie is flighty, the story is fragmented, Levin's religious awakening is absent, and Vronsky is effeminate. Amid this sinking ship, Knightley managed to portray Anna's disintegration much as the book presents it, as did Jude Law portray Karenin's cold behavior towards his wife.
Ivan Seeking
Dec8-12, 05:12 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 12,501
I just got back from watching the movie Anna Karenina. The movie is flighty, the story is fragmented, Levin's religious awakening is absent, and Vronsky is effeminate. Amid this sinking ship, Knightley managed to portray Anna's disintegration much as the book presents it, as did Jude Law portray Karenin's cold behavior towards his wife.
That reminds me of an episode of Gilligan's Island...
Jimmy Snyder
Dec8-12, 05:24 PM
Tonight's the night. Hapi Hanikinaka.
Evo
Dec8-12, 05:48 PM
Mentor
P: 26,557
Hapi Hapi Jimmy and family!!!
drizzle
Dec8-12, 06:16 PM
PF Gold
P: 526
People want me to go to this party, but I've hiked for 6 hours today and I feel sooo tired -_-''
dlgoff
Dec8-12, 06:35 PM
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 2,726
Quote Quote by Gad View Post
People want me to go to this party, but I've hiked for 6 hours today and I feel sooo tired -_-''
Go for it. You'll get a second wind.
lisab
Dec8-12, 07:52 PM
Mentor
P: 2,990
Quote Quote by turbo View Post
Chickadees are little pigs at seed-feeders.
Aw c'mon, you can't fool me - pigs don't fly.
lisab
Dec8-12, 07:53 PM
Mentor
P: 2,990
Chappy Chanukah!

Register to reply