Register to reply

Positive Definite Matricies

by BrainHurts
Tags: definite, matricies, positive
Share this thread:
BrainHurts
Dec9-12, 12:54 AM
P: 84
on page 261 of this paper by J. Vermeer (http://www.math.technion.ac.il/iic/e..._pp258-283.pdf) he writes

The following assertions are equivalent.
a) A is similar to a Hermitian matrix
b) A is similar to a Hermitian matrix via a Hermitian, positive definite matrix
c) A is similar to A* via a Hermitian, positive definite matrix

anyway the proof of a)[itex]\Rightarrow[/itex]c) he writes:
"There exists a V[itex]\in[/itex]Mn(ℂ) such that VAV-1 is Hermitian, i.e. VAV-1=(VAV-1)*=(V*)-1A*V*. We obtain:

V*VA(V*V)-1=A*

V*V is the required Hermitian and positive definite matrix."

My questions is how do we know V*V is positive definite? I know it's Hermitian, i know that V*V has real eigenvalues and I know V*V is unitarily diagonalizable.

I don't think that V*V is Hermitian is enough right? Does this mean that a matrix B being Hermitian is a sufficient but not necessary condition for B to be positive definite?
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
NASA team lays plans to observe new worlds
IHEP in China has ambitions for Higgs factory
Spinach could lead to alternative energy more powerful than Popeye
quasar987
Dec9-12, 08:43 AM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
PF Gold
P: 4,772
Let e_i be a H-orthonormal diagonalizing basis for V*V. Here H is the standard hermitian product on C^n. The existence of such a basis is equivalent to diagonalizability of V*V by a unitary matrix because the unitary condition is just that the columns are H-orthonormal.
The ith eigenvalue of V*V is then [itex]H(e_i,V^*Ve_i)=e_i^*V^*Ve_i=e_i^*V^*e_ie_i^*Ve_i=(e_i^*Ve_i)^*(e_i^*Ve_ i)=H(e_i^*Ve_i,e_i^*Ve_i)=|e_i^*Ve_i|^2\geq 0[/itex]

But "=0" is not possible since V*V is invertible. Therefor wrt the basis e_i, the matrix of V*V is diagonal with all nonpositive diagonal entries, so it's positive definite.
BrainHurts
Dec9-12, 01:15 PM
Hi this is really helpful thank you but I have one more question are the ei are the standard basis vectors in ℂn?

you wrote H(ei, V*Vei)=ei*V*Vei

=ei*V*eiei*Vei

I'm a little confused on where this eiei*, this is the matrix with the iith entry being 1 and zeroes everywhere else correct?

quasar987
Dec9-12, 09:19 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
PF Gold
P: 4,772
Positive Definite Matricies

Mh! Maybe my argument is flawed. try this much simpler one instead: H(v,V^*Vv) =H(Vv,Vv)=|Vv|^2 for all v. If v is not zero, neither is Vv since V is invertible.
BrainHurts
Dec9-12, 09:38 PM
i thought the first one was nice, umm lemme think about this one for a bit, either way thanks!

Register to reply