by hwangii
Tags: combination, convex, sets, sort, volume
Share this thread:
hwangii
Dec10-12, 01:50 PM
P: 4
Hi all,
I hope someone can tell me whether this is true or not:

Let [itex]A_{i},i=\{1,...,m\}[/itex] be [itex]m \times n[/itex] matrices, and let
[itex]H_{i}=\{x\in \mathbb{R}^{n}:A_{i}x\geq 0\},i=\{1,...,m\}.[/itex] Also let a probability measure [itex]\mu[/itex] be given.
Define
[itex]H(\lambda)=\{x\in\mathbb{R}^{n}:\sum_{i=1}^{m} \lambda_{i} A_{i} x\geq 0\}[/itex] where [itex]\lambda=(\lambda_{1},...,\lambda_{m}) \in \mathbb{R}^{m}[/itex] and [itex]\forall i\in\{1,...,m\},\lambda_{i}\geq 0,\sum_{i=1}^{m}\lambda_{i}=1.[/itex]
Then is the following true?
[itex]\mu(H(\lambda)) \geq min_{i \in \{1,...,m\}} \mu(H_{i})[/itex]
My guess is that this has something to do with Brunn-Minkowski theorem, it looks like Brunn-Minkowski theorem is for linear combinations of convex sets, but my [itex]H(\lambda)[/itex] is not a linear combination of [itex]H_{i},i=\{1,...,m\}[/itex], so I don't know if there is some version of the theorem that is applicable to my question.
Thanks!
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
'Office life' of bacteria may be their weak spot
Lunar explorers will walk at higher speeds than thought
Philips introduces BlueTouch, PulseRelief control for pain relief

Register to reply