Understanding L U Factorization: A Guide to Solving Linear Systems

In summary, LU matrix factorization is a useful tool in linear algebra for solving equations, inverting matrices, and calculating determinants. It involves using elementary row operations to decompose a matrix into two triangular matrices, U and L, with specific entries based on the identity matrix. This method is more efficient when there are multiple equations to solve, making it an O(M*N2) problem rather than an O(M*N3) problem with simpler methods. Textbooks may offer complicated explanations, but at its core, LU decomposition is simply a systematic way of performing row operations on a matrix.
symbolipoint
Homework Helper
Education Advisor
Gold Member
I'm still confused about L U matrix factorization. I'm trying to understand how to do it and why doing so is valuable. Would elementary row operations to solve Ax=b be easier?

I'm not in any class. I am looking in the Larson & Edwards Linear Algebra book. Chapter 2. I have trouble following the different elementary matrices that are used in finding the U and the L matrices. I am confused about how certain numbers are selected to be part of each elementary matrix, the ones that have mostly the 1's along the main diagonal, and that some in the main diagonal are not 1's. Then, there is some other matrix containing other elements that came from using the elementary matrices.

Physics news on Phys.org
LU is useful for a couple reasons. It can make solving some equations easier, it can make inverting a matrix easier, it can make calculating the determinant a little faster, I am sure there are more but just a couple off the top of my head.

For the U matrix, you should just get the reduced echelon form. For the L matrix you should be getting the numbers that you would need to row reduce from to A to U and then with the entries of the identity matrix on the diagonal.

The main advantage of LU decomposition over simpler methods arises when you have many b's. Suppose there are M b's that you need to solve. Using simple methods requires solving Ax=b for each b. This is an O(M*N3) problem. With LU decomposition, solving Ax=LUx=b becomes two O(N2) problems, first solving Ly=b and then solving Ux=y. With many b's, this becomes an O(M*N2) problem. The O(N3) problem of decomposing A into A=LU is a one-time cost that vanishes against the problem of solving Ax=b for M b's.

It might help to understand it a different way, when there is no pivoting. Write the matrix equation out in full for a small example:
$$\begin{bmatrix} a_{11} & a_{12} & a_{13} \\ a_{21} & a_{22} & a_{23} \\ a_{31} & a_{32} & a_{33}\end{bmatrix} =
\begin{bmatrix}1 \\ l_{21} & 1 \\ l_{31} & l_{32} & 1\end{bmatrix}
\begin{bmatrix} u_{11} & u_{12} & u_{13} \\ & u_{22} & u_{23} \\ & & u_{33}\end{bmatrix}
$$
Now work through A term by term, and see what the LU product for that term is:

##a_{11} = u_{11}##
##a_{12} = u_{12}##
##a_{13} = u_{13}##
##a_{21} = l_{21}u_{11}##, and we already know ##u_{11}##, so we can find ##l_{21}##
##a_{22} = l_{21}u_{12} + u_{22}##, and the only unknown is ##u_{22}##
and so on.
This is Crout's algorithm for the LU decomposition without pivoting.

Textbooks do seem to enjoy finding complcated ways to explain something that is really quite simple. Even with pivoting, it is just a systematic way of doing row operations on A, and remembering what you did, so you can do the same thing to the right hand side vector later.

AlephZero,
Your response is still complicated, but interesting. I'll need to recheck it from time to time. As for HOW to perform LU decomposition, there is a couple of youtube videos in which the presenter refers specificly to the identity matrix for each row operation to give each elementary matrix. Interesting and specific, but still not enough for me yet.

What is L U factorization?

L U factorization, also known as LU decomposition, is a method used to decompose a square matrix into two triangular matrices: an upper triangular matrix (U) and a lower triangular matrix (L). This can be written as A = LU, where A is the original matrix.

How is L U factorization performed?

L U factorization is performed using a process called Gaussian elimination. This involves using elementary row operations to transform the original matrix into an upper triangular matrix, while keeping track of the operations performed. The resulting matrix is then used to solve for the lower triangular matrix.

Why is L U factorization useful?

L U factorization is useful for solving systems of linear equations, as it allows for a more efficient and accurate method of finding solutions. It also has applications in other areas of mathematics, such as calculating determinants and inverses of matrices.

What are the benefits of using L U factorization over other methods?

L U factorization is more numerically stable compared to other methods, meaning it is less prone to rounding errors and can provide more accurate solutions. It also has a lower computational cost, making it a more efficient option for solving systems of linear equations.

Can L U factorization be used for non-square matrices?

No, L U factorization can only be performed on square matrices. However, there are other methods, such as QR decomposition, that can be used for non-square matrices.