Sick freak kills first-graders

by Jack21222
Tags: firstgraders, freak, kills, sick
Share this thread:
Hlafordlaes
Dec14-12, 04:31 PM
P: 28
Quote Quote by IMP View Post
PLEASE don't use this tragic event to further your opinion of guns laws. This is not the time or place.
Out of respect for your and another poster's sensitivities on just such a discussion, I will not express an opinion on gun laws. However, I do wish to ask, isn't now exactly the time such a discussion should take place?
chiro
Dec14-12, 04:52 PM
P: 4,573
Like George Carlin said, it's just another example of extreme human behavior.

We are all capable of it potentially and understanding this one fact would change a lot about how we not see the world but ourselves.

I'd personally rather not do anything like this due the consequences of such actions, but some people do for various reasons and if anything positive can be gotten out of this situation, it would be getting the real honest to god unfiltered intent on why this happened.

The answer may not be one that people would want to hear let alone agree with, but at least it would provide an understanding to aid in getting to the core of the problem rather than trying to put a band-aid on a gun-shot wound.

Unsurprisingly digging deeper into these kinds of issues (like what psychologists, some psychiatrists, and other investigators do) does bring some of the intent (i.e. the why) to the surface and we should be supporting this regardless of the message from the killer to build a society that doesn't repeat the mistakes of the past.

I hope the parents and families of these children get through all of this.
Monique
Dec14-12, 04:59 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 4,642
Quote Quote by WannabeNewton View Post
Anyways, the point is that humans are terrible creatures and this kind of appalling behavior is a testament to how messed up this species has become but it shouldn't come as a surprise that people do these things.
You're speaking in too generalized terms. People are able to do horrible things, but the vast majority doesn't go out murdering and severely traumatizing other people's children.

The event is truly heartbreaking.
russ_watters
Dec14-12, 05:05 PM
Mentor
P: 22,297
Quote Quote by Hlafordlaes View Post
However, I do wish to ask, isn't now exactly the time such a discussion should take place?
No, it isn't. This is the time when people are least rational and decisions should be based on rational thoughts.
arildno
Dec14-12, 05:11 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
PF Gold
P: 12,016
This is a dreadful event, and my condolences to all Americans in general.
Evo
Dec14-12, 05:38 PM
Mentor
P: 26,546
He had semi-automatic weapons with high capacity extended clips, an assualt rifle and a bullet proof vest. There is no reason why any civilian should be allowed to buy any these things. These can all be banned without banning guns for those that fear living without one. These are separate issues.
leroyjenkens
Dec14-12, 05:46 PM
P: 538
Whoever he got the guns from needs to be locked up and whoever knew anything about this beforehand needs to be locked up.
arildno
Dec14-12, 05:50 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
PF Gold
P: 12,016
Quote Quote by Evo View Post
He had semi-automatic weapons with high capacity extended clips, an assualt rifle and a bullet proof vest. There is no reason why any civilian should be allowed to buy any these things. These can all be banned without banning guns for those that fear living without one. These are separate issues.
Back in Britain in the 19'th century, arsenic was freely sold as rat poison and insecticide.
In the 1840s and early 50s, there was a string of poisoning cases (from 1843-52, 17 out of 22 women hanged had been found guilty of arsenic poisoning), and a Sale of Arsenic Bill was passed in 1851 to regulate the trade.

It was not necessarily an irrational action from the Victorians to do so, but quite possibly a sensible one.
http://www.capitalpunishmentuk.org/arsenic.htm
enosis_
Dec14-12, 05:57 PM
P: 120
I don't think a law can be written that would prevent someone capable of trapping little children in a room and killing them one at a time from doing so without people close to the situation taking action to prevent the act. IMO -we need to find out what triggered their actions, determine if they were somehow de-sensitized, investigate how and when they obtained weapons and gear, and re-search how they were not identified in advance or if they were - what has the breakdown?
Jack21222
Dec14-12, 06:06 PM
P: 772
Well, almost every gun is semi-automatic, it's the high capacity clips that are the problem in your example. Semi-automatic just means you don't need to manually reload after every shot like a musket.
Greg Bernhardt
Dec14-12, 06:18 PM
Admin
P: 9,562
It appears the guns were legally registered by the mother
http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2012...-massacre?lite
Pengwuino
Dec14-12, 06:42 PM
PF Gold
P: 7,120
Quote Quote by leroyjenkens View Post
Whoever he got the guns from needs to be locked up and whoever knew anything about this beforehand needs to be locked up.
He got the guns from his mother after (or before) killing her :-/
Evo
Dec14-12, 06:45 PM
Mentor
Let's not derail the thread with crackpot and doomsday scenarios. Such posts will be deleted.
Evo
Dec14-12, 06:48 PM
Mentor
Quote Quote by Greg Bernhardt View Post
It appears the guns were legally registered by the mother
http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2012...-massacre?lite
Wow, can't wait to hear why a kindergarten teacher was amassing such a collection.
AlephZero
Dec14-12, 07:08 PM
Engineering
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
Thanks
P: 7,162
IMO gun laws are pretty much irrelevant to extreme events like this.

On the other hand, they probably ARE relevant to the fact that roughly the same number of people are killed in road accidents and by firearms in the USA, compared with a ratio bigger than 10:1 in the UK. But that discussion is off topic for this thread, of course.
Pengwuino
Dec14-12, 07:11 PM
PF Gold
P: 7,120
Wow, can't wait to hear why a kindergarten teacher was amassing such a collection.
They haven't been specific as to whether or not the assault rifle was hers. The pistols only seem to be hers which I would hardly call a collection.
Evo
Dec14-12, 07:15 PM
Mentor
Quote Quote by Pengwuino View Post
They haven't been specific as to whether or not the assault rifle was hers. The pistols only seem to be hers which I would hardly call a collection.
With extended clips and a boatload of shells? Was the bullet proof vest hers?

I can see a person owning a hunting rifle or shotgun if they hunt. Or a small hand gun if they fear a home intrusion. What she owned was excessive, IMO.
TheMadMonk
Dec14-12, 07:20 PM
P: 11
With extended clips and a boatload of shells? Was the bullet proof vest hers?

I can see a person owning a hunting rifle or shotgun if they hunt. Or a small hand gun if they fear a home intrusion. What she owned was excessive, IMO.
The important part there is that is in your opinion. You may wish to force your beliefs upon other people but that doesn't make it right.

You're also using the term clip wrongly. What you really mean is magazine.

Register to reply