University of Nebraska Lincoln

• Schools
  • Thread starter austim14
  • Start date
  • Tags
    University
In summary: But, after discussing it with my adviser, we thought that I would benefit from a physics major since it is a quantitative subject.
austim14
I have just been accepted to the university of Nebraska at Lincoln. How is their physics program?

Physics news on Phys.org
Positives/praise: It won't hold you back from anything. There are a few undergrads from the past year that went to very good graduate programs.

The condensed matter and high-energy physics departments are pretty good. There are lots of opportunities for Physics majors to get involved since there aren't that many majors compared to faculty (I think the department statistic is something like 70% of physics majors are employed by the department?). The upper level physics classes are taught with 'quintessential' material, which prepares you well for grad school.

I have yet to have a bad professor nearing the end of my junior classes. Everyone is very open and willing to help (if you're willing to learn). Finally, the building is brand new, and it is modern/clean.

Downsides/negatives: the student labs (both intro and advanced) are getting a little tired but they are very well kept up by the lab managers. The upper level classes are only offered once a year, so a well thought out plan for upper level coursework is important else you can fall behind easily.

A tip: talk to your adviser about taking the honors series of intro physics classes (even if you're not in the honors college). They will help you significantly later on as a physics major. Don't fret if they say no, but if you've got a decent high school prep they won't be too bad.

I applied undecided. How do I get into the program?

austim14 said:
I applied undecided. How do I get into the program?

Talk with your adviser at the College of Arts and Sciences and/or talk with the Chief Physics Adviser. All of the contact information is on the UNL website.

Maybe a good question for you is, then, why did you apply undecided and so quickly consider changing to physics?

Well my math grades were a bit shaky. I did not know if I would have been admitted into the program.

1. What is the history of the University of Nebraska Lincoln?

The University of Nebraska Lincoln (UNL) was founded in 1869, making it the oldest and largest university in the state of Nebraska. It was originally established as a land-grant institution under the Morrill Act and was known as the University of Nebraska until 1969 when it was renamed UNL. Over the years, the university has grown to include nine colleges and more than 150 undergraduate majors, over 100 graduate programs, and over 30 doctoral programs.

2. What is the student population at UNL?

As of Fall 2021, the total student enrollment at UNL is approximately 26,000 students. This includes around 20,000 undergraduate students and 6,000 graduate students. The university also has a diverse student body, with students from all 50 states and over 100 countries.

3. What are the top programs offered at UNL?

UNL has a wide range of programs and is well-known for its strong agricultural and engineering programs. Some of the top programs at UNL include agricultural sciences, business, engineering, social sciences, and biological sciences. The university also offers a highly ranked law school and a well-regarded journalism program.

4. What is the campus like at UNL?

The UNL campus is located in the city of Lincoln, Nebraska and spans over 600 acres. It is a mix of historic and modern buildings, with many green spaces and outdoor areas for students to study and relax. The campus also has a variety of amenities such as dining options, recreational facilities, and a performing arts center.

5. What opportunities are available for research at UNL?

UNL is a top research university, with research expenditures of over $300 million annually. The university offers a wide range of opportunities for students to get involved in research, including undergraduate research programs, graduate research assistantships, and research centers and institutes in various fields. Some notable research areas at UNL include agriculture, engineering, and the humanities.