The two-body problem with pushing force, what ll be their speed in t=infinity?

In summary, the conversation discusses a 2-body problem involving two particles interacting through an inverse square force. The motion of the particles will not form a perfect ellipse, so closed form expressions for the 2-body problem are not applicable. Possible approaches to solving for the speed of the particles after infinite time include using numerical methods or energy conservation principles.
malrf
Hi!

I want to solve the following: I have 2 particles p1, p2, with given m1,m2,v1 , p2 stands still in the origin(x,y,z=0).
Between them there is only 1 force F=1/(d^2), the force is pushing the particles away from each other.
I start p1 from infinite distance with given speed, and i know it's equation of motion without the pushing force, and i want to know what ll be it's speed after infinite time. (p1 is closing to p2 and p1's line of motion without the force is not crossing p2)

After searching google i found that there might be a closed form expression solving the 2-body problem, but those expression only true if the course of the particles is an ellipse, so i don't know how to solve my problem.

Thanks for helping!

Physics news on Phys.org

Hi there!

Thank you for reaching out about your problem. It sounds like you are dealing with a classic 2-body problem in physics. This type of problem involves two particles interacting with each other through a force, in this case the force is inversely proportional to the distance between the particles squared.

First, it is important to note that the motion of the particles in this system will not form a perfect ellipse, as you mentioned, so the closed form expressions for the 2-body problem will not be applicable here. However, there are still ways to solve for the motion of the particles and determine their speeds after an infinite amount of time.

One approach is to use numerical methods, such as computer simulations, to track the motion of the particles over time. This can give you a good approximation of their speeds after infinite time.

Another approach is to use energy conservation principles. In this case, the total energy of the system (kinetic energy + potential energy) will remain constant as the particles move. This means that you can set the initial energy of the system (which you can calculate from the given masses and speeds) equal to the energy at any point in time, and solve for the speed of the particle at that time. Repeating this process for infinite time will give you an approximate value for the speed after infinite time.

I hope this helps! Let me know if you have any further questions. Good luck with your problem!

1. What is the two-body problem with pushing force?

The two-body problem with pushing force is a classical mechanics problem that involves two objects interacting with each other through a force applied by one of the objects. This force causes the objects to accelerate and move in a particular direction.

2. How is the speed of the two objects determined in this problem?

The speed of the two objects in the two-body problem with pushing force is determined by the magnitude and direction of the pushing force, as well as the masses of the two objects. The acceleration of each object can be calculated using Newton's Second Law (F=ma), and the speed can be found by integrating the acceleration over time.

3. What happens to the speed of the objects as time approaches infinity?

As time approaches infinity, the speed of the objects will continue to increase, but at a decreasing rate. This is because as the objects move further apart, the force between them decreases, causing the acceleration to decrease as well.

4. Can the speed of the objects ever reach infinity?

No, the speed of the objects cannot reach infinity in the two-body problem with pushing force. This is because as the speed increases, the objects will also experience an increase in their kinetic energy, which will eventually reach a maximum value and prevent the objects from reaching infinite speed.

5. How does the direction of the pushing force affect the speed of the objects?

The direction of the pushing force can greatly affect the speed of the objects in the two-body problem. If the force is applied in the same direction as the initial velocity of one of the objects, the speed will continue to increase. However, if the force is applied in the opposite direction, it can cause the objects to slow down or even come to a complete stop.