Share this thread:
OmCheeto
Dec16-12, 02:53 PM
PF Gold
P: 1,420
Quote Quote by Gad View Post
*depressed*
It's the Vonnegut below you.

I met his son Mark at the bookstore one day.

Wow!

Can't elaborate. I'd be fired.

---------------------------
ps. listen to nazarbaz. quite quotable.
OmCheeto
Dec16-12, 04:04 PM
PF Gold

And no, you silly toilet minded people. It was named after a 17th century French submarine.

Quote Quote by wiki and therefore true and undeniable!
Plongeur (French for "Diver") was a French submarine launched on 16 April 1863. She was the first submarine in the world to be propelled by mechanical (rather than human) power.
Godspeed young B.Elliot, and steer your crew away from those nasty underwater mountains.

------------------------
OMG! You have laptops and flat-screens!? We had 12 inch floppies back then.

Diver! I was so happy to hear that we were not named after a toilet un-plugger-er.. or, whatever...
Michael Redei
Dec16-12, 04:21 PM
P: 181
Quote Quote by wiki, and perhaps not the whole truth
Plongeur (French for "Diver") was a French submarine launched on 16 April 1863. She was the first submarine in the world to be propelled by mechanical (rather than human) power.

In modern, colloquial, French, plongeur is the term for a dishwasher (the human, not the machine). It makes sense, even if it doesn't seem very appetising.
OmCheeto
Dec16-12, 04:46 PM
PF Gold
just happy not to be banned on a blathering Sunday afternoon.

Jimmy Snyder
Dec17-12, 11:02 AM
P: 2,179
One of the tail-lights went out on the family chariot so last night I went to fix it. I'm not that handy so this was an adventure. I bought a new bulb at the parts store and replaced it, but it didn't fix the problem. What's worse, one of the headlights went out too. My wife said that when I tried to fix the tail-light I broke the headlight. Yeesh, how do you counter logic like that?

This morning I prepared to take the car to the shop to find out why I couldn't fix the tail-light. I also tried to open up the headlight compartment to change that bulb, but it was too complicated and I gave up. According to the parts store clerk, you need a special tool to do it.

Before I went to the shop to have everything fixed, I tried one more time with the tail-light and this time I noticed that there was more than one bulb and I had replaced the wrong one, the one that was already working. So I went to the parts store to buy the right bulb and I replaced it. That fixed the one problem. Just by luck, when I was testing the lights to make sure that I had fixed the problem, I took another look at the headlights, and what do you know, they're both lit. I must have jolted something back into place when I tried to open it up. So of course, I told my wife that I fixed the tail-light and in so doing also fixed the headlight. Now there's logic for you.
Michael Redei
Dec17-12, 11:24 AM
P: 181
Quote Quote by Jimmy Snyder View Post
So of course, I told my wife that I fixed the tail-light and in so doing also fixed the headlight. Now there's logic for you.
Congratulations. You seem to have shown that, counter to Newton, there is action at a distance.
turbo
Dec17-12, 12:00 PM
PF Gold
P: 7,363
Too much kale in this vegetable soup. I love the flavor, but not the chewiness.

Still snowing. I'll have to break out the tractor, probably.
Jimmy Snyder
Dec17-12, 12:34 PM
Quote Quote by Michael Redei View Post
Newton.
Einstein.
Evo
Dec17-12, 12:40 PM
Mentor
P: 26,428
One of the tail-lights went out on the family chariot so last night I went to fix it. I'm not that handy so this was an adventure. I bought a new bulb at the parts store and replaced it, but it didn't fix the problem. What's worse, one of the headlights went out too. My wife said that when I tried to fix the tail-light I broke the headlight. Yeesh, how do you counter logic like that?

This morning I prepared to take the car to the shop to find out why I couldn't fix the tail-light. I also tried to open up the headlight compartment to change that bulb, but it was too complicated and I gave up. According to the parts store clerk, you need a special tool to do it.

Before I went to the shop to have everything fixed, I tried one more time with the tail-light and this time I noticed that there was more than one bulb and I had replaced the wrong one, the one that was already working. So I went to the parts store to buy the right bulb and I replaced it. That fixed the one problem. Just by luck, when I was testing the lights to make sure that I had fixed the problem, I took another look at the headlights, and what do you know, they're both lit. I must have jolted something back into place when I tried to open it up. So of course, I told my wife that I fixed the tail-light and in so doing also fixed the headlight. Now there's logic for you.
I noticed that my left front turn signal is out, I'll give you $5 if you come fix it.
turbo
Dec17-12, 01:20 PM
PF Gold
P: 7,363
Quote Quote by Evo View Post
I noticed that my left front turn signal is out, I'll give you $5 if you come fix it.
$5 plus gas and expenses? NJ is a long way from you. ;-D

You could buy another car.
dkotschessaa
Dec17-12, 01:51 PM
P: 586
Quote Quote by turbo View Post
Too much kale in this vegetable soup. I love the flavor, but not the chewiness.

Still snowing. I'll have to break out the tractor, probably.
Is there a running PF recipe thread, kind of like this one and the music one?

I'd be interested in how you make this in a soup. I can't get the hang of kale.
dkotschessaa
Dec17-12, 01:52 PM
Differential equations homework = packing material for Christmas care packages!
Evo
Dec17-12, 02:02 PM
Mentor
Quote Quote by dkotschessaa View Post
Is there a running PF recipe thread, kind of like this one and the music one?

I'd be interested in how you make this in a soup. I can't get the hang of kale.
The Food Thread

http://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=124615
dkotschessaa
Dec17-12, 02:09 PM
yay!
Jimmy Snyder
Dec17-12, 02:20 PM
Quote Quote by Evo View Post
I could really use the money. Unfortunately, PF rules forbid commercial activity. There's a PS to my story. The headlight was not fixed. What happened was that while I was fiddling with the lights to test the rear lights, I accidentally turned on the high beams. They were working, but not the low beams. So I had to shell out the $35 and have the dealer fix it. I think it's a crime that you can't change a lightbulb in a car yourself.
Evo
Dec17-12, 02:29 PM
Mentor
I could really use the money. Unfortunately, PF rules forbid commercial activity. There's a PS to my story. The headlight was not fixed. What happened was that while I was fiddling with the lights to test the rear lights, I accidentally turned on the high beams. They were working, but not the low beams. So I had to shell out the $35 and have the dealer fix it. I think it's a crime that you can't change a lightbulb in a car yourself.
I agree, maybe I will just lean out of the driver's sdie window and use my flashlight.
zoobyshoe
Dec17-12, 05:00 PM
P: 5,625
Just by luck, when I was testing the lights to make sure that I had fixed the problem, I took another look at the headlights, and what do you know, they're both lit. I must have jolted something back into place when I tried to open it up.
This is actually a strange fact of auto circuitry. Two remote lamps are often dependent on each other and when one blows the other won't light. I do not understand the why of such a circuit but it has proven to be the case on most cars I've owned.

Edit: just saw this wasn't your problem.
drizzle
Dec17-12, 10:16 PM
PF Gold
P: 525
Oh God, I'm sleepy and still have lots of things to do, and it's due tomorrow

Register to reply