Coriolis force - Question about sign

by Curious2013
Tags: coriolis force, deduction, reference frame
Share this thread:
Curious2013
Dec17-12, 12:35 AM
P: 4
Dear all

I have a question concerning the Coriolis acceleration expression. I learnt it as Ac = -2ω x v, where ω is the vector which indicates the rotation axis direction of Earth and v the velocity of a body that I want to check the Coriolis effect on.

My question: where the minus sign comes from? As far as I understand, it depends on what reference frame I use (inertial or non inertial - the minus comes from the latter, like the Earth, in my conception). Am I correct?

Thanks in advance!
Phys.Org News Partner Physics news on Phys.org
Engineers develop new sensor to detect tiny individual nanoparticles
Tiny particles have big potential in debate over nuclear proliferation
Ray tracing and beyond
A.T.
Dec17-12, 03:48 AM
P: 4,078
Quote Quote by Curious2013 View Post
Dear all

I have a question concerning the Coriolis acceleration expression. I learnt it as Ac = -2ω x v, where ω is the vector which indicates the rotation axis direction of Earth and v the velocity of a body that I want to check the Coriolis effect on.

My question: where the minus sign comes from?
You can swap ω and v, and the minus sign is gone:

-2ω x v = 2v x ω

Quote Quote by Curious2013 View Post
As far as I understand, it depends on what reference frame I use (inertial or non inertial
The Coriolis force exist only in non inertial frames.
AlephZero
Dec17-12, 01:17 PM
Engineering
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
Thanks
P: 7,177
The minus sign is there because humans made the arbitrary decision to use right-handed coordinate systems rather than left handed ones.

The Coriolis force is just a consequece of Newton's laws of motion. The physics doesn't depend on what frame you use to describe it, or whether the frame is inertial or non-inertial. The details of the math depend on those things, but "the map is not the country", and similarly "the math is not the phyiscs".

tiny-tim
Dec17-12, 02:32 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
Thanks
P: 26,148
Coriolis force - Question about sign

Quote Quote by AlephZero View Post
The minus sign is there because humans made the arbitrary decision to use right-handed coordinate systems rather than left handed ones.
no, it would still be there, because you'd still need v = ω x r

(btw, this is a duplicate thread to http://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=659387)
A.T.
Dec17-12, 05:03 PM
P: 4,078
Quote Quote by AlephZero View Post
To me it seems more like it's the arbitrary decision to have ω first in the term.

Register to reply