Plotting potential of 2 bodies.

by kagestodder
Tags: field, potential
kagestodder
Dec17-12, 03:27 PM
P: 2
Hi everyone,

Im currently following an example of this paper: http://ocw.mit.edu/courses/aeronauti...7F09_Lec18.pdf

And have reached a standstill on page 5. Im trying to plot the pseudo potential of the two bodies. I have succeded in plotting the gravitational potential in maple. But when i want to plot the pseudo potential i have to use the function (14). But on the added centrifugal force theres r, which i pressume is the position vector.

Im not really sure how to plot this since i now have 3 (x,y,r) variables instead of 2(x,y). r must be some sort of function of x and y, i think? If anyone has ever plottet the potential field i would love to know what to do now.

Regards
and thanks in advance.
Phys.Org News Partner Physics news on Phys.org
Physicists consider implications of recent revelations about the universe's first light
Vacuum ultraviolet lamp of the future created in Japan
Grasp of SQUIDs dynamics facilitates eavesdropping
jtbell
Dec17-12, 03:58 PM
Mentor
P: 11,254
Hint: r is the "diagonal" distance running directly from the origin to the point (x,y). x is the "horizontal" distance from the origin. y is the "vertical" distance from the origin. x, y and r form the three sides of a right triangle. What famous Greek do you think of when you look at a right triangle?
kagestodder
Dec17-12, 04:16 PM
P: 2
Doh!

Register to reply