Register to reply

Finding the unknown cordinates of a point on a vector

by EmilyHopkins
Tags: cordinates, point, unknown, vector
Share this thread:
EmilyHopkins
Dec18-12, 09:55 AM
P: 8
Relative to the origin O, the position vectors of two points A and B are (1,4) and (7,1) respectively. Give that the point P (t,t+1) is on AB find

1) AP and BP in terms of t

2) Find the value of t and hence the ratio AP:PB

Solution:

1) AP= (-i - 4 j) + ti + (t+1)J = (t-1)i + (t-3)j
BP= -7i -j + ti + (t+1)j =(t-7)i + (t)j

2) I have no idea how to find t.
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Sapphire talk enlivens guesswork over iPhone 6
Geneticists offer clues to better rice, tomato crops
UConn makes 3-D copies of antique instrument parts
Dick
Dec18-12, 10:43 AM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
Thanks
P: 25,251
Quote Quote by EmilyHopkins View Post
Relative to the origin O, the position vectors of two points A and B are (1,4) and (7,1) respectively. Give that the point P (t,t+1) is on AB find

1) AP and BP in terms of t

2) Find the value of t and hence the ratio AP:PB

Solution:

1) AP= (-i - 4 j) + ti + (t+1)J = (1-t)i + (t-3)j
BP= -7i -j + ti + (t+1)j =(t-7)i + (t)j

2) I have no idea how to find t.
AP and PB are parallel vectors, since P is on AB, right? How do you express two vectors being parallel in algebra? BTW your expression for AP has a sign mistake.
EmilyHopkins
Dec18-12, 11:02 AM
Quote Quote by Dick View Post
AP and PB are parallel vectors, since P is on AB, right? How do you express two vectors being parallel in algebra? BTW your expression for AP has a sign mistake.
Well if AP and PB are parallel then their cross product is 0.

0 = AP X PB

0= ((t -1)i + (t-3)j) X (( T-7)i + tj)
0 = - (t-3)(t-7)k + (t-1)t k
0 = (3-t)(t-7) k + (t-1)tk
0= (3t -t^2-21+7t)k + (t-1)tk
0= (10t -t^2 -21)k + (t-1)tk
0= (10t -t^2 -21)k +(t^2 - t)k
0= (9t -21)k

9t-21=0
9t=21
t= 7/3

Dick
Dec18-12, 11:07 AM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
Thanks
Finding the unknown cordinates of a point on a vector

That would be one way to go if you extend them to three dimensional vectors. It's also true that if they are parallel then they are multiples of each other. k*AP=PB for some constant k.
EmilyHopkins
Dec18-12, 11:20 AM
Quote Quote by Dick View Post
That would be one way to go if you extend them to three dimensional vectors. It's also true that if they are parallel then they are multiples of each other. k*AP=PB for some constant k.

Wouldn't that just introduce another unknown variable which would require us to have 2 equations in order to solve. I thought this route already but didn't bother going this way since I don't know the ratio, and hence the value of k.
Dick
Dec18-12, 11:31 AM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
Thanks

0 = AP X PB

0= ((t -1)i + (t-3)j) X (( T-7)i + j)
0 = - (t-3)(t-7)k + (t-1) k
0 = (3-t)(t-7) k + (t-1)k
0= (3t -t^2-21+7t)k + (t-1)k
0= (10t -t^2 -21)k + (t-1)k
0= (11t - t^2 -22)k

11t - t^2 -22 =0

a= -1, b= 11, c=--22

t = -11 ▒ (121 -4(-1)(-22))1/2/2(-1)

t= -1.72 or t= 12.7 ???
You are being pretty sloppy here. (t-7)i + (t)j turned into (( T-7)i + j). Something missing. If you do this right the t^2 will cancel.
Dick
Dec18-12, 11:33 AM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
Thanks
Wouldn't that just introduce another unknown variable which would require us to have 2 equations in order to solve. I thought this route already but didn't bother going this way since I don't know the ratio, and hence the value of k.
Once you split into components it WILL turn into two equations in the two unknowns t and k. It's about the same amount of work to do it this way as to solve the cross product equation.

Register to reply