Baby it's cold outside

by Evo
Tags: baby, cold, evo
Share this thread:
turbo
Dec18-12, 12:22 PM
PF Gold
P: 7,363
Typical Maine winter weather today, swinging between snow and rain with temps in the high 30s. Once all this stuff comes down, it's a good bet that an arctic blast will come in and cement the saturated snow to everything.
PeteyCoco
Dec18-12, 01:45 PM
P: 36
I planned on doing some skiing here in Nova Scotia over the break, but all we've been getting recently is snow followed by rain. I should have stayed in Montreal
turbo
Dec18-12, 02:19 PM
PF Gold
We have some very nice neighbors. Our closest neighbor just dropped in with his plow-truck and cleared the wet snow from our driveway. My wife takes him fresh-baked French bread about every weekend, so the plowing is not a surprise. He loves to pay it back.
George Jones
Dec18-12, 03:13 PM
Mentor
P: 6,226
Quote Quote by PeteyCoco View Post
I planned on doing some skiing here in Nova Scotia over the break, but all we've been getting recently is snow followed by rain. I should have stayed in Montreal
Lots of snow here in north-central BC. Sunday night, I went cross-country skiing with my six-year-old daughter. It was the first time either of us had been on skis of any kind.
turbo
Dec18-12, 03:50 PM
PF Gold
Quote Quote by George Jones View Post
Lots of snow here in north-central BC. Sunday night, I went cross-country skiing with my six-year-old daughter. It was the first time either of us had been on skis of any kind.
In HS, all our school had to offer was WWII military-surplus skis. They were quite heavy and the bindings were pretty rigid and crappy. By the time our district could afford some light-weight alpine skis, a couple of us were so strong that we excelled and were top contenders.

Our school was very small, as were most of our competition, so when we had ski-meets, there was slalom, giant slalom, downhilll, cross-country skiing, showshoe races, etc, and almost every team member had to participate in all of the competitions. My graduating class was the largest ever, with 42 seniors.
dlgoff
Dec18-12, 10:05 PM
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 2,701
Quote Quote by turbo View Post
Typical Maine winter weather today, swinging between snow and rain with temps in the high 30s. Once all this stuff comes down, it's a good bet that an arctic blast will come in and cement the saturated snow to everything.
I've been watching the Weather Channel and seeing your snow. I'll never forget the photograph of your home with snow up to the eves.
turbo
Dec18-12, 10:38 PM
PF Gold
Quote Quote by dlgoff View Post
I've been watching the Weather Channel and seeing your snow. I'll never forget the photograph of your home with snow up to the eves.
We get what we get, When I was a kid, I remember shoveling well over a foot of "partially cloudy" out of our driveway. When I went away to school, my father somehow managed to buy a plow-truck. Fancy that!
George Jones
Dec19-12, 01:38 PM
Mentor
P: 6,226
Our temperature this morning, -13 C = 9 F, was about normal for this time of year. My six-year-old daughter and I walked for 30 minutes to a coffee shop, stopped and had stuff, and then walked another 10 minutes to her school.
turbo
Dec19-12, 01:52 PM
PF Gold
38 today with a wintery mix. I would love to get right into dry and frigid.
Alfi
Dec26-12, 07:03 AM
P: 151
WINTER POEM

It's winter in Canada !
And the gentle breezes blow
Seventy miles an hour
At thirty-five below.
Oh, how I love Canada
When the snow's up to your butt
You take a breath of winter
And your nose gets frozen shut.
Yes, the weather here is wonderful
So I guess I'll hang around
I could never leave Canada
I'm frozen to the friggin' ground!
Evo
Dec26-12, 09:41 AM
Mentor
P: 26,423
Quote Quote by Alfi View Post
WINTER POEM

It's winter in Canada !
And the gentle breezes blow
Seventy miles an hour
At thirty-five below.
Oh, how I love Canada
When the snow's up to your butt
You take a breath of winter
And your nose gets frozen shut.
Yes, the weather here is wonderful
So I guess I'll hang around
I could never leave Canada
I'm frozen to the friggin' ground!
That's cute. It's was 10F when I got up, an hour later it was 9F.
Astronuc
Dec26-12, 08:59 PM
Admin
P: 21,808
'Tis the season to be shoveling,

Tra-la-la, tra-la-la, la-la-la

Don we now our work apparel

Tra-la-la, tra-la-la, la-la-la

Update: Snow, then sleet, then freezing rain makes for a heavy ground cover.
turbo
Jan1-13, 05:36 PM
PF Gold
Currently, lower than 15 deg, and the temps are headed for single digits later tonight. The NW wind makes it feel much colder. Duke had to go out a bit earlier, and he didn't dawdle.
turbo
Jan2-13, 07:14 PM
PF Gold
We are about 0 F tonight, already, and will likely head into the negative numbers soon. On the upside, Duke (who wants to go out often due to diarrhea) is reluctant to dawdle and returns promptly. I love him, but walking him in this weather is painful. With the wind, 0 deg F can be really tough.
Astronuc
Jan2-13, 09:14 PM
Admin
P: 21,808
It was a more normal temperature between 5 and 10F this morning. It should be the same tonight, although the low could be around 0F.

Update: According to our back yard thermometer, it was -1F.
fourier jr
Jan5-13, 05:06 PM
P: 948
in the prairies they harvest grain like this, in montreal they harvest snow with giant snowblowers

dlgoff
Jan5-13, 05:38 PM
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 2,701
Quote Quote by fourier jr View Post
in the prairies they harvest grain like this, in montreal they harvest snow with giant snowblowers

Not just for harvesting.

Pythagorean
Jan5-13, 07:23 PM
PF Gold
P: 4,262
Quote Quote by Pythagorean View Post
-40 is coming soon
Never again, now in a location that doesn't go very far below freezing

Register to reply