Register to reply

What's the most active field of physics nowadays?

by scottbekerham
Tags: active, field, nowadays, physics
Share this thread:
scottbekerham
Dec18-12, 04:03 AM
P: 49
I have some questions.
Is theoretical high energy physics worth doing ? What's the current state of research ?
Which is easier one to get quickly into research ,Condensed matter or particle physics, string theory etc.?
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
What lit up the universe?
Sheepdogs use just two simple rules to round up large herds of sheep
Animals first flex their muscles
Vanadium 50
Dec18-12, 05:29 AM
Mentor
P: 16,349
Quote Quote by scottbekerham View Post
I have some questions.
Condensed matter.

Is theoretical high energy physics worth doing ? What's the current state of research ?
Could you possibly be any vaguer on this?

Which is easier one to get quickly into research ,Condensed matter or particle physics, string theory etc.?
Doesn't this depend on a lot on where you are?
scottbekerham
Dec18-12, 07:34 AM
I hear people saying that theoretical HEP is very difficult . The entry barrier is very hard to penetrate and similar stories . Also and most importantly it has no connection to real life and it will take decades to produce a real theory so one should better study condensed matter that have applications etc.

scottbekerham
Dec18-12, 07:35 AM

I mean one who is working on strings feels that theories he's developing will turn out to be ultimately false (It's just some mathematical curiousity) but in condensed matter one study graphene and other things that's very important in real life
Choppy
Dec18-12, 01:44 PM
Sci Advisor
P: 2,714
If you look at this report:
http://www.aip.org/statistics/trends...ysgrad2008.pdf
on page 11 you'll see a breakdown of physics PhDs granted by subfield. Although the data is now about 5 years old, condensed matter seems to be a clear leader and I doubt that's changed.
LastOneStanding
Dec18-12, 01:54 PM
P: 718
I mean one who is working on strings feels that theories he's developing will turn out to be ultimately false (It's just some mathematical curiousity) but in condensed matter one study graphene and other things that's very important in real life
Well then it sounds like you answered your own question. If working on things that could just be a 'mathematical curiosity' doesn't appeal to you, then from your perspective it's not worth doing.
Arsenic&Lace
Dec18-12, 06:37 PM
P: 295
For condensed matter PHD's, what are industry employment prospects like? Do they have greater odds of getting jobs in academia, and of working in tech/engineering sectors (if I can't be a physicist, at least I can work in tech or engineering).

Register to reply