Register to reply

What is the meaning of material requirements?

by hazar
Tags: case study, crankshaft
Share this thread:
hazar
Dec18-12, 05:28 PM
P: 4
i have a case study on a crankshaft. i have completed the service requirements but i have no idea about what i am supposed to do for the material requirements.

the question is:
Discuss and identify the material requirements for the component by relating the material property requirements to the service requirements identified in your answer to service requirements?

could someone please explain this question to me. do i have to talk about which materials have to be used or what the materials properties have to be or both?
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Sapphire talk enlivens guesswork over iPhone 6
Geneticists offer clues to better rice, tomato crops
UConn makes 3-D copies of antique instrument parts
AlephZero
Dec18-12, 06:07 PM
Engineering
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
Thanks
P: 6,951
It means "what the material properties have to be."

You can't select a material until after you have that information.
Studiot
Dec18-12, 07:11 PM
P: 5,462
Well I suppose it depends upon your idea of service requirements.

Your question asks you how to use the service requirements to influence the materials requirements and therefore eventually the materials.

Here is one possible line of reasoning.

Service requirement - service lifetime = duration of one race (up to 5 hours) before replacement.

Does this allow case hardened components?

Service requirement - service lifetime = 10,000 running hours.

Does this moot a through hardened component?

Were there any statistical constraints on the service requirment such as the loads or friction falling with a certain range?

This would imply limit state design and therefore the materials requirements would require consideration of limit state factors.

billblack
Dec21-12, 10:13 PM
P: 35
What is the meaning of material requirements?

Let us take the question apart and see if we can find what they are asking...

"Discuss and identify the material requirements for the component" <how do they want you to do this? ---> by relating the material property requirements to the service requirements <the service requirements which you ---> identified in your answer to service requirements.

Sometimes you just have to slow down and parse the question. I spent many hours over-analyzing and under-analyzing questions during my academic journey. Hope this is of some help.

Register to reply