Register to reply

Non Linear PDE in 2 dimensions

by L0r3n20
Tags: dimensions, linear
Share this thread:
L0r3n20
Dec18-12, 03:20 PM
P: 19
Hi all. I'm trying to solve this PDE but I really can't figure how. The equation is
[tex]
f(x,y) + \partial_x f(x,y) - 4 \partial_x f(x,y) \partial_y f(x,y) = 0
[/tex]
As a first approximation I think it would be possible to consider [tex] \partial_y f [/tex] a function of only y and [tex] \partial_x f [/tex] a function of only x but even in this case I couldn't find a general solution.
Any idea?
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Bees able to spot which flowers offer best rewards before landing
Classic Lewis Carroll character inspires new ecological model
When cooperation counts: Researchers find sperm benefit from grouping together in mice
pasmith
Dec18-12, 05:35 PM
HW Helper
Thanks
P: 946
Quote Quote by L0r3n20 View Post
Hi all. I'm trying to solve this PDE but I really can't figure how. The equation is
[tex]
f(x,y) + \partial_x f(x,y) - 4 \partial_x f(x,y) \partial_y f(x,y) = 0
[/tex]
As a first approximation I think it would be possible to consider [tex] \partial_y f [/tex] a function of only y and [tex] \partial_x f [/tex] a function of only x but even in this case I couldn't find a general solution.
Any idea?
Your equation needs to be supplemented by a boundary condition: say [itex]f(x,g(x)) = h(x)[/itex] for suitable [itex]g(x)[/itex].

The method of characteristics looks like a good bet.

By the chain rule,
[tex]
\frac{\mathrm{d}f}{\mathrm{d}t} = \frac{\partial f}{\partial x}\frac{\mathrm{d}x}{\mathrm{d}t} + \frac{\partial f}{\partial y}\frac{\mathrm{d}y}{\mathrm{d}t}
[/tex]
which by comparison with your equation gives the following system:
[tex]
\frac{\mathrm{d}x}{\mathrm{d}t} = 1 \\
\frac{\mathrm{d}y}{\mathrm{d}t} = -4\frac{\partial f}{\partial x} \\
\frac{\mathrm{d}f}{\mathrm{d}t} = - f
[/tex]
subject to the initial conditions [itex]f(0) = f_0 = h(x_0)[/itex], [itex]x(0) = x_0[/itex], [itex]y(0) = y_0 = g(x_0)[/itex] so that [itex]f(x_0,g(x_0)) = h(x_0)[/itex].

Solving the first equation gives [itex]x = t + x_0[/itex], and the third gives [itex]f = f_0e^{-t} = f_0e^{x_0-x}[/itex]. Substituting these into the second gives
[tex]
\frac{\mathrm{d}y}{\mathrm{d}t} = 4f \\
[/tex]
so that [itex]y = y_0 + 4f_0(1 - e^{-t})[/itex].

Therefore given a characteristic starting at [itex](x_0,g(x_0))[/itex], the value of the function at [itex](x,y) = (x_0, g(x_0) + 4h(x_0)(1 - e^{-t}))[/itex] is [itex]h(x_0)e^{-t}[/itex].

It is of vital importance that the curve [itex](x,g(x))[/itex] on which the boundary condition is given is not a characteristic (ie a curve [itex](x(t),y(t)[/itex]) for some [itex](x_0,y_0)[/itex]). There may also be a problem if characteristics intersect.

Register to reply