Register to reply

Quadratic form, law of inertia

by Gauss M.D.
Tags: form, inertia, quadratic
Share this thread:
Gauss M.D.
Dec20-12, 06:49 AM
P: 150
Getting ready for linear algebra exam. One question that I got right but not exactly sure why is this:

---
Consider the quadratic form

Q(x,y,z) = 3x^2 + 3z^2 + 4xy + 4xy + 8xz

a) Decide if Q is positive definite, indefinite, etc.

b) What point on the surface Q = 1 lies closest to the origin and what is that distance?
---

I computed the eigenvalues and got -1, -1 and 8, i.e. indefinite. But when just completing the square, there is only two positive terms: x(3x + 4y + 8z) + z(3z + 4y). How does this mesh with Sylvesters law of inertia?

Also, this form has got to be some kind of hyperboloid or something. So how can I know if the point associated with 1/sqrt(8) is actually on the surface? Since we're dealing with hyperbolas and not ellipses, that isn't always the case, is it?
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Scientists develop 'electronic nose' for rapid detection of C. diff infection
Why plants in the office make us more productive
Tesla Motors dealing as states play factory poker
pasmith
Dec20-12, 07:05 AM
HW Helper
Thanks
P: 1,008
Quote Quote by Gauss M.D. View Post
Getting ready for linear algebra exam. One question that I got right but not exactly sure why is this:

---
Consider the quadratic form

Q(x,y,z) = 3x^2 + 3z^2 + 4xy + 4xy + 8xz

a) Decide if Q is positive definite, indefinite, etc.

b) What point on the surface Q = 1 lies closest to the origin and what is that distance?
---

I computed the eigenvalues and got -1, -1 and 8, i.e. indefinite. But when just completing the square, there is only two positive terms: x(3x + 4y + 8z) + z(3z + 4y). How does this mesh with Sylvesters law of inertia?
That's not the result of completing the square. If you complete the squares in x, y and z in that order you should get
[tex]3\left(x + \frac23y + \frac43z\right)^2 - \frac43\left(y + \frac12z\right)^2 - 2z^2[/tex]
Gauss M.D.
Dec20-12, 07:14 AM
P: 150
Quote Quote by pasmith View Post
That's not the result of completing the square. If you complete the squares in x, y and z in that order you should get
[tex]3\left(x + \frac23y + \frac43z\right)^2 - \frac43\left(y + \frac12z\right)^2 - 2z^2[/tex]
But I thought the law indicated that no matter how you complete the square, the number of positive and negative terms will always be the same?

pasmith
Dec20-12, 07:34 AM
HW Helper
Thanks
P: 1,008
Quadratic form, law of inertia

Quote Quote by Gauss M.D. View Post
But I thought the law indicated that no matter how you complete the square, the number of positive and negative terms will always be the same?
Yes, but rearranging [itex]Q(x,y) = x(3x + 4y + 8z) + z(3z + 4y)[/itex] is not completing the square.
Frogeyedpeas
Dec21-12, 03:38 PM
P: 80
out of curiosity what level of linear algebra is this? Because I just finished my course and we never covered this haha. Though we did talk about eigenvectors

Register to reply