Register to reply

PF Random Thoughts

by protonchain
Tags: random
Share this thread:
zoobyshoe
Dec19-12, 09:26 PM
P: 5,630
On that subject, it looks like they've found an important difference between a dog and a sociopath:

'Psychopaths' Have an Impaired Sense of Smell, Study Suggests
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases...0920115739.htm
AnTiFreeze3
Dec19-12, 09:35 PM
P: 251
Quote Quote by zoobyshoe View Post
On that subject, it looks like they've found an important difference between a dog and a sociopath:

'Psychopaths' Have an Impaired Sense of Smell, Study Suggests
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases...0920115739.htm
I used to have a terrible sense of smell, but it seems as if, lately, I have been able to smell more acutely. I have mostly been smelling perfume that some girls wear, but it's almost annoying.

I guess the world now has one less sociopath to deal with.
zoobyshoe
Dec19-12, 11:36 PM
Quote Quote by AnTiFreeze3 View Post
I used to have a terrible sense of smell, but it seems as if, lately, I have been able to smell more acutely. I have mostly been smelling perfume that some girls wear, but it's almost annoying.

I guess the world now has one less sociopath to deal with.
I used to have a terrible sense of humor, but it seems as if, lately, I have been able to joke more acutely. I have mostly been joking about the perfume that some girls wear, but it's almost like something Jimmy Snyder would post.

I guess the world now has one more peudo-paraphraser to deal with.
turbo
Dec20-12, 12:10 AM
PF Gold
P: 7,363
I have mostly been joking about the perfume that some girls wear, but it's almost like something Jimmy Snyder would post.
When I was a Freshman in HS, my friend's older sister asked me to dance with her at a Freshman mixer. It was a slow dance, and every time I think of her, I recall the scent of Right Guard. I don't "remember" it. I actually smell it in my mind.

Other smells, like wild strawberries, fresh-picked green beans, etc, are there in my head, but Right Guard is a big one. Haven't seen her in years (she would be 64-65 by now). Another hugger comes to mind whenever I get a whiff of Noxema. Had to be there.
zoobyshoe
Dec20-12, 12:22 AM
Quote Quote by turbo View Post
... every time I think of her, I recall the scent of Right Guard.
Of all our senses I think the sense of smell is the most amusing.
turbo
Dec20-12, 12:40 AM
PF Gold
Of all our senses I think the sense of smell is the most amusing.
It could be the most primal, and the most tied to our brain. I certainly don't get the same strong memories for most other senses.
AnTiFreeze3
Dec20-12, 12:43 AM
P: 251
It could be the most primal, and the most tied to our brain. I certainly don't get the same strong memories for most other senses.
So, how does that add up to 'amusing'?
zoobyshoe
Dec20-12, 09:41 PM
Quote Quote by AnTiFreeze3 View Post
So, how does that add up to 'amusing'?
Smell is hilarious. Without smell, your ability to laugh is pretty much wrecked. Plus, smell is heavily loaded into your basic chuckles. Can you remember a lover from 40-50 years ago without LOLing?
Pythagorean
Dec20-12, 11:01 PM
PF Gold
P: 4,287
Smell is hilarious. Without smell, your ability to laugh is pretty much wrecked. Plus, smell is heavily loaded into your basic chuckles. Can you remember a lover from 40-50 years ago without LOLing?
The sandwich protagonist buttered several splotches of confiscated Tupperware, igniting a terrified night shop.
zoobyshoe
Dec21-12, 12:02 AM
Quote Quote by Pythagorean View Post
The sandwich protagonist buttered several splotches of confiscated Tupperware, igniting a terrified night shop.
Strong, amusing smells crawled abiogenically into the blackbody radiator of Odin's eye socket inadvertently delousing his raven, who said (quothe), "Furthermore!"
turbo
Dec21-12, 12:06 PM
PF Gold
My dog is "interesting". I have a CD carousel that is on "random" play almost all day and night. Duke has a nice bed in the living room and another in the bedroom. I have a lot of difficulty sleeping, and if I can breathe well enough, I head off to bed at odd hours. If I leave the stereo on, Duke stays on the living room bed. If there is no music, he retires to the bedroom.
Ivan Seeking
Dec21-12, 12:14 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 12,501
My dog is "interesting". I have a CD carousel that is on "random" play almost all day and night. Duke has a nice bed in the living room and another in the bedroom. I have a lot of difficulty sleeping, and if I can breathe well enough, I head off to bed at odd hours. If I leave the stereo on, Duke stays on the living room bed. If there is no music, he retires to the bedroom.
It could be that when you turn off the music, that signals to him it's bedtime. When you leave the music on, he may be expecting you to come back.
turbo
Dec21-12, 12:44 PM
PF Gold
Quote Quote by Ivan Seeking View Post
It could be that when you turn off the music, that signals to him it's bedtime. When you leave the music on, he may be expecting you to come back.
I don't know, and he ain't tellin' He is a shelter-rescue with a lot of character. He has a lot of "rules" and I haven't figured them all out yet.

I'd love to meet his former owner, so that I could congratulate him or her for training him so well, and then beat the crap out them for abandoning him on the streets. No pet deserves that.
turbo
Dec21-12, 04:19 PM
PF Gold
My best friend died a bit earlier today. I was able to speak to his wife and his son this evening, and there was sadness all around. His son offered that "at least the suffering is over". I could only respond with silence. Too sad.
dlgoff
Dec21-12, 04:44 PM
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 2,726
My best friend died a bit earlier today. I was able to speak to his wife and his son this evening, and there was sadness all around. His son offered that "at least the suffering is over". I could only respond with silence. Too sad.
Sad indeed. So sorry turbo.
turbo
Dec21-12, 04:50 PM
PF Gold
Quote Quote by dlgoff View Post
Sad indeed. So sorry turbo.
Thanks, dlg. He and I have been best friends for over 50 years, and I will miss him terribly.
Borek
Dec21-12, 05:23 PM
Admin
P: 23,592
My condolences, Turbo.
drizzle
Dec21-12, 05:34 PM
PF Gold
P: 526
Sorry to hear that turbo, my condolences

Register to reply