2n2222 npn transistor voltage question

In summary, This circuit can only give you a higher voltage at the emitter of the transistor, which is not what you want. You can get a higher output by replacing the 9V with 24V, replacing the buzzer with a short circuit, or taking the output from the transistor instead of the comparitor.
lindhaw
So I am working on a project and I am using a diagram I found on this forum but I want to alter it a little. The transistor on the right is a 2n2222 npn transistor. I want to change the 9v to 24v. I've been looking up datasheets on it and I think it will do what I want but I wanted to get a second opinion just in case because I am still new. Will this output 24v is my first question? And will the transistor work properly with the increased voltage?

Attachments

• circuit question.png
    circuit question.png
    15 KB · Views: 1,118
Engineering news on Phys.org
2N2222 can work with +24V, so that is safe. The transistor is serve as voltage follow that buffer the amplifier. The question is how much current you are planning to draw from the transistor. You increase from 6 to 24V, power dissipation on the transistor is going to be higher even drawing the same current. There is not enough info to answer that as I don't know your buzzer.

sorry i forgot to add that in the first post. the buzzer only draws 5mA (its just one i had laying around).

What about the 6v to opamp? Will that become 24V also?

Look at R5-R4 voltage divider - it likely won't turn off with 24 volts to R5.

I was only planning on changing the 9vdc to 24. does this mean I need to change up the R5 value?

Are you at all familiar with circuits? It's okay if you're not, we all start out unfamiliar.

Will this output 24v is my first question?
No, it can't put out more than about the voltage to opamp and R5, which you're leaving at 6 volts.

Do a quick search on "emitter follower" .

Well I don't know very much at all, I am just in my first circuits class at WWU. Ok so i did a quick search for emitter follower and I am going to be honest, I am not sure what I was supposed to take away from my reading. Are you suggesting that I replace everything coming off the second pin of the comparitor with an emitter follower circuit?

But why you want to change 9V to 24V?
Also you already know that Q1 work as a emitter follower.
https://www.physicsforums.com/showpost.php?p=4048914&postcount=5
So the buzzer voltage will be 0.6V lower the the base voltage.
And this means that the increase collector voltage from 9V to 24V will not change buzzer voltage.

I don't really care about the buzzer so much I just was thinking I could use this circuit as a very basic encoder. I came across an old PLC at a garage sale that I've been playing with. I want the 24v because that is what the PLC accepts.

Jony nailed the "emitter follower". That's what the circuit you posted is, an emitter follower.

key point is - an emitter follower can't give you any voltage gain. You can't turn 6v at base into 24V at emitter with that circuit.

I encourage experimenting.
You can get your higher output by:
1. change 9V to 24V;
2. replace the buzzer with a short circuit
3. replace that wire between C of transistor and +9(24?) volts with about 15k ohms.
4. take output from C of transistor instead of E..

discuss it with classmates and teacher...

1. What is the voltage rating for a 2n2222 NPN transistor?

The typical voltage rating for a 2n2222 NPN transistor is 40 volts. However, it is important to consult the datasheet for the specific transistor as the voltage rating may vary depending on the manufacturer and other factors.

2. Can a 2n2222 NPN transistor handle higher voltages than its rating?

No, it is not recommended to operate a 2n2222 NPN transistor above its voltage rating. Doing so can cause damage to the transistor and potentially lead to malfunction or failure.

3. What is the maximum collector-emitter voltage for a 2n2222 NPN transistor?

The maximum collector-emitter voltage for a 2n2222 NPN transistor is 60 volts. Again, this may vary depending on the specific transistor and should be checked in the datasheet.

4. Can the voltage rating of a 2n2222 NPN transistor be increased?

No, the voltage rating of a transistor is determined by its physical construction and cannot be increased. If a higher voltage is required, a different transistor with a higher voltage rating should be used.

5. What happens if a 2n2222 NPN transistor is operated at a voltage higher than its rating?

Operating a 2n2222 NPN transistor above its voltage rating can cause it to overheat and potentially fail. It is important to always operate transistors within their specified voltage range to ensure proper functioning and avoid damage.