Register to reply

Experimental covariance curve

by jk22
Tags: covariance, curve, experimental
Share this thread:
jk22
Dec26-12, 06:07 AM
P: 153
Some experimental covariance curve for entangled photons gives abs(Cov(0)) less than 1.
For example : Violation of Bell inequalities by photons more than 10km apart by Gisin's group in Geneva.

Does this mean that experimentally we cant predict with certainty in this case ?

In order to explain that curve I made a quantum calculation that leads to Cov(theta) equals -7/8*cos(theta) but i find it a bit weird and dont know if i can put it in this forum.
Phys.Org News Partner Physics news on Phys.org
First in-situ images of void collapse in explosives
The first supercomputer simulations of 'spin?orbit' forces between neutrons and protons in an atomic nucleus
Magnets for fusion energy: A revolutionary manufacturing method developed
mfb
Dec26-12, 10:54 AM
Mentor
P: 11,580
Does this mean that experimentally we cant predict with certainty in this case ?
Knowing one value, we cannot predict the other with 100% certainty in this case, right.
jk22
Dec26-12, 12:30 PM
P: 153
However standard qm gives -cos(theta) and hence predict with certainty at theta equals 0.

So is the theory with something to be changed in order to get nearer to the experimental result or is it the experiment which is not accurate enough ?

mfb
Dec26-12, 03:52 PM
Mentor
P: 11,580
Experimental covariance curve

I don't know which specific experiment you mean, but no experiment is perfect. You always have uncorrelated background (or even background correlated in the wrong way), which reduces correlation.

Register to reply