Field Angular Momentum (Thomson Dipole)

In summary, the conversation discusses a homework question about the relationship between mu_0, epsilon_0, and the Poynting Vector in relation to momentum density. The student has attached images instead of typing out the equations and has discovered that angular momentum density has two components, one in the z direction and one in the x direction. The student is having trouble verifying the solution given in the book and is seeking help. A tip is also provided for constructing the equation.
Septim

Homework Statement

I have attached the question as jpg to this post. Typing these were too time consuming and I uploaded the relevant sections as image files, thanks for your understanding.

Homework Equations

mu_0*epsilon_0*Poynting Vector = Momentum density

Position vector X Momentum density = Angular momentum density

The Attempt at a Solution

These too are attached in png format.

I have found out that angular momentum density has two components, one in the z direction and one in the x direction. According to the books solution the x component integrates to zero but I was unable to verify this and I am highly skeptical about this topic. Any help would be appreciated. I have attached the relevant information to this post.

Attachments

• Attempt_page2.jpg
    Attempt_page2.jpg
    13.8 KB · Views: 589
  • Question.png
    Question.png
    13.4 KB · Views: 631
  • Attempt_page1.jpg
    Attempt_page1.jpg
    15.5 KB · Views: 517
Physics news on Phys.org
In constructing your equation (8), note that ##\hat{r}## will generally have a ##\hat{y}## component as well as ##\hat{x}## and ##\hat{z}## components: ##\hat{r} = (\hat{r} \cdot \hat{x}) \hat{x} + (\hat{r} \cdot \hat{y}) \hat{y} + (\hat{r} \cdot \hat{z}) \hat{z}##.

##\hat{r} \cdot \hat{x} = sin\theta cos\phi##, etc.

See what you get for the x and y components of the angular momentum when you integrate over ##\phi##.

Last edited:

1. What is field angular momentum?

Field angular momentum, also known as Thomson dipole, is a measure of the amount of rotation or spinning of a field around its axis. It is a fundamental property of electromagnetic fields and plays a crucial role in many physical phenomena.

2. How is field angular momentum calculated?

Field angular momentum is calculated by multiplying the strength of the field by the distance from the axis of rotation and the sine of the angle between the two. This gives a vector quantity that describes the direction and magnitude of the angular momentum.

3. What is the significance of field angular momentum in quantum mechanics?

In quantum mechanics, the concept of angular momentum is extended to include the intrinsic angular momentum of particles, also known as spin. The total angular momentum of a quantum system is the sum of its orbital and spin angular momenta, and it is a conserved quantity in many physical processes.

4. How does field angular momentum affect the motion of particles?

The angular momentum of a field can exert a torque on particles within the field, causing them to rotate or spin. This effect can be observed in various physical systems, such as the motion of charged particles in a magnetic field or the behavior of spinning tops in a gravitational field.

5. Can field angular momentum be manipulated or controlled?

Yes, field angular momentum can be manipulated or controlled by changing the parameters of the field, such as its strength, direction, or orientation. This is important in many technological applications, such as in the design of MRI machines or in the development of new materials for spintronics.