Showing the Fundamental Group of S^1 is isomorphic to the integers

In summary, J.P. May's book on "A Concise Course in Algebraic Topology" discusses how to find a loop f_n by e^{2\pi ins} and defines a loop f_{n} by e^{2\pi ins}
trmukerji14
Hi,

I am reading J.P. May's book on "A Concise Course in Algebraic Topology" and have approached the calculation where [itex]\pi[/itex][itex]_{1}[/itex](S[itex]^{1})[/itex][itex]\cong[/itex]Z

He defines a loop f[itex]_{n}[/itex] by e[itex]^{2\pi ins}[/itex]

I want to show that [f[itex]_{n}[/itex]][f[itex]_{m}[/itex]]=[f[itex]_{m+n}[/itex]]

I understand this as trying to find a homotopy between f[itex]_{n}[/itex]*f[itex]_{m}[/itex] and f[itex]_{m+n}[/itex]

I have some attempts some attempts which have been unsuccessful are

H(s,t)= f[itex]_{n+mt}[/itex]*f[itex]_{m(1-t)}[/itex]
H(s,t)={e[itex]^{2\pi in2st}[/itex]e[itex]^{2\pi im2s(1-t)}[/itex] for s in [0,1/2]
{e[itex]^{2\pi im(2s-1)t}[/itex]e[itex]^{2\pi in(2s-1)(1-t)}[/itex] for s in [1/2,1]

Any help would be very much appreciated on my part.

Physics news on Phys.org
Your idea seems correct. To separate into cases depending on whether s is smaller or larger than 1/2 is a good idea in this problem (as you have done).

However try to think about what you are doing. [itex]f_{m+n}[/itex] loops with a speed of (m+n) for the whole interval [0,1]. [itex]f_n * f_m[/itex] instead first loops with speed 2m for [0,1/2], and then loops with speed 2n for [1/2,1].

Let us first focus on what our homotopy should be for [itex]s \in [0, 1/2][/itex]. In this case we start with a speed of 2m and would like to end up with a speed of m+n. In other words for the part [itex]s\in[0,1/2][/itex] we would like to have
[tex]e^{2\pi i 2 m s}[/tex]
when t = 0 and
[tex]e^{2\pi i (m+n) s}[/tex]
when t = 1. In your case when we plug in t=0 we get
[tex]e^{2\pi i m 2s}[/tex]
as we wanted, but when we plug in t=1 we get
[tex]e^{2\pi i n 2 s}[/tex]
but we wanted
[tex]e^{2 \pi i (m+n) s}[/tex]
Can you figure out how to correct this? The same problem happens when [itex]s \in [1/2,1][/itex], so you must also correct your homotopy here.

If you think you have done this, then all that remains is to check that this is a homotopy between the correct loops and that your two expressions agree on the intersection [itex]s = 1/2[/itex].

As a side remark the homotopy you constructed instead shows
[tex][f_n][f_m] = [f_m][f_n][/tex]
which will follow from what you want to prove eventually, but it is also interesting if you couldn't figure out how to prove the general result.

Thank you for the help.

So far what I have is for s in [0, 1/2]

H(s,t)= e[itex]^{2\pi i(m+n)st}[/itex]e[itex]^{2\pi im2s(1-t))}[/itex]

and for s in [1/2, 1], I have:

H(s,t)= e[itex]^{2\pi i(m+n)st}[/itex]e[itex]^{2\pi in(2s-1)(1-t))}[/itex]

This satisfies our conditions for a homotopy for t=0 and for t=1.

Unfortunately, when we consider s it fails miserably. For a basepoint of 1. We have that H(0,t)=1 and that is good but when we try to plug in s=1/2 or s=1 we do not get what we want.

So I'm scratching my head at the moment trying to fix this.

As for the side remark, I understand that if we show this equivalence we can define a homomorphism from the integers to the fundamental group of the circle which will give us the abelian property. But I don't think I showed the abelian property with the homotopy I had since that one fails also when s=1.

Thanks for the help again.

There are basically still 3 issues with your homotopy:
1) You forgot an extra coefficient of 2 in front of n in your H for s >= 1/2.
2) It doesn't line up on s=1/2, i.e. the two expressions you gave are different when s=1/2
3) It isn't a homotopy of loops (i.e. not a based homotopy).
1 is easily fixable and I assume you can easily do this. If you solve 2, then 3 should be solved automatically since your speeds gives you whole revolutions (this is obviously not a rigorous argument and you will need to check, but intuition never hurts).

Fixing 1 for you I assume you wrote down:
[tex]H(s,t) = \begin{cases} e^{2\pi i (m+n) st}e^{2\pi i m 2 s (1-t)} & \textrm{for }s \in [0,1/2] \\
e^{2\pi i(m+n)st}e^{2\pi i n 2 (2s-1)(1-t)} & \textrm{for }s \in [1/2,1]
\end{cases}[/tex]
Let us focus on fixing the fact that this is not well-defined for s=1/2. Ideally we would like some continuous function [itex]\alpha : [0,1] \to \mathbb{R}[/itex] such that
[tex]H(s,t) = \begin{cases} e^{2\pi i (m+n) st}e^{2\pi i m 2 s (1-t)} & \textrm{for }s \in [0,1/2] \\
e^{2\pi i(m+n)st}e^{2\pi i n 2 (2s-1)(1-t)}e^{2\pi i \alpha(t)} & \textrm{for }s \in [1/2,1]
\end{cases}[/tex]
would work as a homotopy. Note that this does not change the "speeds" we work with, but just where around the circle the second case takes over when s reaches 1/2, so as long as [itex]\alpha[/itex] is well-chosen this should let us fix the problem at s=1/2. Clearly for this to work you must have (up to addition by an integer)
[tex](m+n)\frac{1}{2}t + 2m\frac{1}{2}(1-t) = (m+n)\frac{1}{2} t + 2(1-t) + \alpha(t)[/tex]
This should give you an expression for [itex]\alpha[/itex] which will let you fix your homotopy, and then you should get a well-defined homotopy of loops.

I got it! This is awesome.

I got [itex]\alpha(t)[/itex]=m(1-t) which gave the well defined homotopy

e^{2\pi i(m+n)st}e^{2\pi i n 2 (2s-1)(1-t)}e^{2\pi i m(1-t)} & \textrm{for }s \in [1/2,1]
\end{cases}[/tex]

This almost worked except when s=1, we did not get our desired result of 1. So if we use this:

e^{2\pi i(m+n)st}e^{2\pi i n (2s-1)(1-t)}e^{2\pi i \alpha(t)} & \textrm{for }s \in [1/2,1]
\end{cases}[/tex]

We have our homotopy of loops.

Thanks again for the help.I was really stuck out there.

1. What is the fundamental group of S^1?

The fundamental group of S^1, also known as the circle, is a mathematical concept that represents the set of all possible loops on the circle. It is denoted by π1(S^1) and is isomorphic to the integers.

2. What does it mean for two groups to be isomorphic?

Groups are considered isomorphic if they have the same structure, meaning they have the same number of elements and the same way of combining those elements. In terms of the fundamental group of S^1, this means that it has the same structure as the integers, even though the elements may be represented differently.

3. How is the fundamental group of S^1 related to topology?

The fundamental group of S^1 is a topological invariant, meaning it is a property of a space that does not change under continuous deformations. In topology, the fundamental group is used to classify spaces and determine if they are topologically equivalent.

4. What is the significance of the fundamental group of S^1 being isomorphic to the integers?

This is a fundamental result in algebraic topology that has many applications. It allows us to represent any loop on the circle as an integer, which can then be used to classify spaces and study their properties. It also provides a connection between the geometric and algebraic structures of a space.

5. How is the isomorphism between the fundamental group of S^1 and the integers proven?

There are several ways to prove this isomorphism, but one common method is to use the concept of covering spaces. This involves constructing a covering map from the universal covering space of S^1 to the circle, and then using the lifting property to show that the fundamental group of S^1 is isomorphic to the fundamental group of the universal covering space, which is known to be isomorphic to the integers.