At how much of a disadvantage with women is a 5'8" guy?

by Jamin2112
Tags: None
Jamin2112
Jan1-13, 10:41 PM
P: 863
Quote Quote by Hepth View Post
If you're an inch shorter than average and call yourself short, should a guy an inch taller than average call himself tall?
Maybe I'm an inch shorter than average if we're including Asians and Mexicans in the average, but in the relevant population of interest, White males, I'm about 3 inches below average.
Monique
Jan2-13, 02:40 AM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 4,613
Quote Quote by Jamin2112 View Post
Maybe I'm an inch shorter than average if we're including Asians and Mexicans in the average, but in the relevant population of interest, White males, I'm about 3 inches below average.
Start dating Asians and Mexicans and all your problem will be solved.
Char. Limit
Jan2-13, 05:48 AM
PF Gold
P: 1,930
Quote Quote by Jamin2112 View Post
It sounds to me like you're looking for excuses to call yourself short. If we pointed out some relevant characteristic of white men that makes you only barely short, or not at all, you'd probably go even further, like "white men in my specific region of America with degrees similar to my own" or something.

Perhaps it would help if you stopped focusing so much on your height?
RabbitWho
Jan2-13, 10:49 AM
P: 102
Being the exact same height is ideal, for the health of one's neck. This is why women bring measuring tapes with them to bars and wear shoes without laces that can easily be removed.
SW VandeCarr
Jan2-13, 11:23 AM
P: 2,490
Re: OP

In an earlier post, I pointed out that actor Tom Cruise is 5'7" and he is one of a number of successful "short" actors and Hollywood sex symbols. They broke into, and made a name for themselves in a highly competitive industry where looks and sex appeal are important for leading men and women (as opposed to character actors). How does a "short" guy break into this exceedingly competitive arena? Hollywood is full of hopeless "wanabees". 6'2" "hunks" work as part time security guards or park cars while they wait for the big break that will never come. Is it just a matter of talent? I doubt it. I think a positive attitude and confidence are the key in any competitive arena. Your negativity is apparent to nearly everyone who posted here. In general, people recoil from negativity and are attracted to positivity.
zoobyshoe
Jan2-13, 02:48 PM
P: 5,616
Quote Quote by SW VandeCarr View Post
In general, people recoil from negativity and are attracted to positivity.
Yes, we're all just electrons in Life's Big Circuit.
Jamin2112
Jan2-13, 03:20 PM
P: 863
Quote Quote by SW VandeCarr View Post
Re: OP

In an earlier post, I pointed out that actor Tom Cruise is 5'7" and he is one of a number of successful "short" actors and Hollywood sex symbols. They broke into, and made a name for themselves in a highly competitive industry where looks and sex appeal are important for leading men and women (as opposed to character actors). How does a "short" guy break into this exceedingly competitive arena? Hollywood is full of hopeless "wanabees". 6'2" "hunks" work as part time security guards or park cars while they wait for the big break that will never come. Is it just a matter of talent? I doubt it. I think a positive attitude and confidence are the key in any competitive arena. Your negativity is apparent to nearly everyone who posted here. In general, people recoil from negativity and are attracted to positivity.
Not only Tom Cruise, but also John Stewart and Mark Wahlberg, to name just two. But, you do understand that Hollywood does a good job of hiding their short stature; hence the fact that most people will act surprised when they learn that Tom Cruise is 5'7". Most people also probably don't know that FDR was wheelchair-bound. Amazing what the media can do.
RabbitWho
Jan2-13, 04:21 PM
P: 102
Quote Quote by zoobyshoe View Post
Yes, we're all just electrons in Life's Big Circuit.
Except psychology has told us that negative people attract other people as far as I know, certainly Attachment Theory suggests that, also "birds of a feather flock together" (The law of attachment and also la lay de emparejamiento.. don't know it in English) has been proven scientifically more times than "opposites attract" when it comes to human relationships.

In my own personal experience everybody likes positive people, no matter how they are personally, but that's not what my textbook says. o.O
jim hardy
Jan2-13, 05:42 PM
Sci Advisor
P: 3,139
Only as much as he believes himself to be.

Register to reply