Register to reply

PF Random Thoughts

by protonchain
Tags: random
Share this thread:
zoobyshoe
Jan3-13, 06:25 PM
P: 5,630
So, I just ran into a girl who used to be a barista at La Souris Perdue a few years ago. At that time she was quite the charmer. I stumbled upon her working in a Starbucks tucked into a grocery chain store. I didn't recognize her. There had been an addition of 60 or so pounds. It was all I could do to suppress the urge to say "OMFG! WTF HAPPENED TO YOU?" You know. How that is. When that happens.
rootX
Jan3-13, 07:57 PM
P: 1,294
Talking of strange news ..
http://news.yahoo.com/secret-us-cybe...230132788.html
Secret US cybersecurity program to protect power grid confirmed
turbo
Jan3-13, 10:05 PM
PF Gold
P: 7,363
A few days ago, one of my wife's cousins died. He was about 65 or so. His obituary was in today's paper. I know a couple of his sisters, and they used to call their mother Chesty. I figured they were tweaking her because of her enormous chest, but I was wrong. In the obituary, I found that her given name was Chestina. Had she survived, she would probably be in her mid-90's today. Times change.
BobG
Jan4-13, 01:19 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
P: 2,280
Quote Quote by Kholdstare View Post
Anybody knows how to keep from dozing off in boring meetings? I can never avoid that.
I recommend using the right hand rule during meetings. Let your index finger represent the x axis, your middle finger represent the y axis, and your thumb represent the z axis.

The origin should lie just below and just in front of the right ear.

Your primary goal is to keep your head upright, so the principal axis (the x axis) should lie along the side of your head, parallel with the spine and perpendicular to the jaw, and perpendicular to the ground.

The y axis should be perpendicluar to the x axis, parallel with the jaw.

The z axis should be perpendicular to the x axis, parallel with the collar bone.

This won't keep you from dozing off, but it will provide support along 3 different axes, preventing your face from impacting the conference table. The three axis support is much less likely to result in slippage than the fist method of supporting the forehead (as if you're intently analyzing the source material during the meeting), not to mention that the fist method leaves an annoying red spot on the forehead that makes it obvious that you sleeping.

Classic slippage from "fist on forehead" method:

Poor technique (not too mention a violation of the "never text while sleeping" rule):

Not that bad technique (but requires a double or triple chin to work well):

Bad technique (this will eventually cause misalignment of a persons teeth and jaw, resulting in early dentures, not to mention a rather lopsided looking face):

This is not bad technique, at all (but still not as good as full 3 axis support):

I'm sorry, but fake eyes just look disturbing:

Com'n man! At least keep your mouth closed! (This is an open invitation for coworkers to see who can toss the most small paperwads into your mouth.)

Now this is simply outstanding technique!! While the 3 axis right hand rule has an advantage in only requiring one hand, I have to admit the two-handed method can be a work of art when done by a professional. The slight stretch of skin applied by the fingers keeps the eyes open, even while asleep! The only disadvantage is drying of the eyes.

Notice that you can't find a single picture of a person using the 3 axis method - proof that this is an absolutely fail safe method of sleeping during meetings without being detected.

Caveat: There is one possible pitfall to this method. Never, never curl your index finger to point downward. While the chance of this happening is minimal, it can result in the speaker misinterpreting your reaction to what they're saying.

Using the 3-axis method works great! But, unfortunately, I still have some horrible dreams while sleeping during meetings:
HeLiXe
Jan4-13, 04:06 PM
P: 412
Quote Quote by zoobyshoe View Post
So, I just ran into a girl who used to be a barista at La Souris Perdue a few years ago. At that time she was quite the charmer. I stumbled upon her working in a Starbucks tucked into a grocery chain store. I didn't recognize her. There had been an addition of 60 or so pounds. It was all I could do to suppress the urge to say "OMFG! WTF HAPPENED TO YOU?" You know. How that is. When that happens.
I am also quickly becoming a fatty
trollcast
Jan4-13, 04:10 PM
PF Gold
P: 291
Quote Quote by Kholdstare View Post
Anybody knows how to keep from dozing off in boring meetings? I can never avoid that.
If you don't like any of Bob's suggestions you could shave a face onto your head:

HeLiXe
Jan4-13, 04:16 PM
P: 412
looks like that guy from mythbusters
BobG
Jan4-13, 04:19 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
P: 2,280
Quote Quote by trollcast View Post
If you don't like any of Bob's suggestions you could shave a face onto your head:

Ideas like this are why so many American college students accurately identify themselves as 'gifted'.
lisab
Jan4-13, 05:54 PM
Mentor
P: 2,990
Can a 3-D printer make a 3-D printer?
rootX
Jan4-13, 06:27 PM
P: 1,294
Quote Quote by lisab View Post
Can a 3-D printer make a 3-D printer?
:omg:
OmCheeto
Jan4-13, 08:41 PM
PF Gold
P: 1,434
Too many random thoughts.

Head explodes!
turbo
Jan4-13, 09:22 PM
PF Gold
Head not exploded yet. Good thing, because Duke might need another walk.
drizzle
Jan4-13, 09:24 PM
PF Gold
P: 526
Quote Quote by OmCheeto View Post
Too many random thoughts.

Head explodes!
Add one.

Why isn't there an instant pain killer?
turbo
Jan4-13, 09:36 PM
PF Gold
Quote Quote by Gad View Post
Why isn't there an instant pain killer?
There is, but please never use it, PF buddy.
zoobyshoe
Jan4-13, 10:05 PM
P: 5,630
Quote Quote by HeLiXe View Post
I am also quickly becoming a fatty
OMFG! WTF HAPPENED TO YOU!

(It's easier to let it out on the internet.)
Kholdstare
Jan5-13, 05:40 AM
P: 390
@BobG - yes. fist on forehead does not work. I tried and failed. I've used 2nd 3rd and 4th ones many times. Basically I keep cycling through them every time I wake up. 6th one happened to me on some random occasions.

The three axis support sounds good. I'll try that one when I'll have to sleep on the next meeting.

@trollcast - I am not going to shave my head no matter what.
Whovian
Jan5-13, 05:51 AM
P: 643
In trying to solve an integral that I found on a math forum, I just proved that 0 and 0 differ by a constant.
Jimmy Snyder
Jan5-13, 06:37 AM
P: 2,179
I'm trying to figure out what that constant would be but I've come up with nothing so far.

Register to reply