Tags: moderator, number, positions
Share this thread:
OmCheeto
Jan6-13, 04:51 PM
PF Gold
P: 1,420
Quote Quote by berkeman View Post
Great find!

But I want another title now. I'm kind of partial to "Governor"...

Being a former militaristic type person, I looked at the size of this forum, and could not comprehend how you maintained order without Generals, Admirals, Sergeants, and Corporals.

But then I found out you had Evo.

----------------------------
runs... jumps into bed... pulls covers over head.....
berkeman
Jan6-13, 05:43 PM
Mentor
P: 40,730
Quote Quote by OmCheeto View Post

Being a former militaristic type person, I looked at the size of this forum, and could not comprehend how you maintained order without Generals, Admirals, Sergeants, and Corporals.

But then I found out you had Evo.

----------------------------
runs... jumps into bed... pulls covers over head.....
Rapelling down from the PF helicopter now with Evo and the other Generals. You think your covers will protect you?! Hah!
Drakkith
Jan6-13, 06:26 PM
Mentor
P: 11,600
Rapelling down from the PF helicopter now with Evo and the other Generals. You think your covers will protect you?! Hah!
Have no fear OmCheeto!
Commander Drakk is here!! And I've brought my guardian beast, Sir Phinds-a-lot !
Stay in your home, for we will protect you!
Phinds, attack! Aim for the one that looks like a lumpy Salmon!!

*A great battle ensues*

BTW I think we should give a someone the title of "Expert-Guide Grandmaster General of the Forums*. EGGGF. Try sounding that one out...
OmCheeto
Jan6-13, 07:21 PM
PF Gold
P: 1,420
Quote Quote by Drakkith View Post
Have no fear OmCheeto!
Commander Drakk is here!! And I've brought my guardian beast, Sir Phinds-a-lot !

*A great battle ensues*

BTW I think we should give a someone the title of "Expert-Guide Grandmaster General of the Forums*. EGGGF. Try sounding that one out...
Ahhhh!!!!!!!

jtbell
Jan6-13, 08:57 PM
Mentor
P: 11,628
But I want another title now.
Greg can be the Grand Pooh-Bah.

Evo can be the Lord High Executioner. (Or should that be Lady High Executioner?)

We can be Lords High Everything Else.
Drakkith
Jan6-13, 09:04 PM
Mentor
Quote Quote by jtbell View Post
Greg can be the Grand Pooh-Bah.

Evo can be the Lord High Executioner. (Or should that be Lady High Executioner?)

We can be Lords High Everything Else.
Can I just be "Lord Drakkith"? I'll let you borrow the moat whenever you want!
phinds
Jan6-13, 09:57 PM
PF Gold
P: 6,126
Have no fear OmCheeto!

*A great battle ensues*

If anyone attacks Evo, I'm on it. If anyone attacks you, I will give them a severe talking-to. Eventually. Maybe.
Drakkith
Jan6-13, 10:43 PM
Mentor
Quote Quote by phinds View Post
If anyone attacks Evo, I'm on it. If anyone attacks you, I will give them a severe talking-to. Eventually. Maybe.
What if Evo was the lumpy salmon though?
Evo
Jan6-13, 11:00 PM
Mentor
P: 26,482
Drakkith
Jan6-13, 11:43 PM
Mentor
Quote Quote by Evo View Post
Look Evo, we all know we're all a little lumpy. And you do have a few things "fishy" about you. But at least you aren't phinds after a tromp in the rain. I had to spray him with a skunk just to be able to get near him.
Evo
Jan7-13, 12:27 AM
Mentor
P: 26,482
Look Evo, we all know we're all a little lumpy. And you do have a few things "fishy" about you. But at least you aren't phinds after a tromp in the rain. I had to spray him with a skunk just to be able to get near him.
harrylin
Jan7-13, 06:18 AM
P: 3,185
Quote Quote by Astronuc View Post
that is, one who is impartial and without a perceived political and/or personal bias.

We've actually contacted a number of experts who declined to moderate GW/CC here. Some have their own forum and/or blog, and it would be a full time effort to moderate discussions on GW/CC.

We've had great difficulty in keeping politics and personal opinion out of the scientific discussion.
That is hardly possible, only exceptionally such persons can be found; I had no idea that such utopia was aimed at. Already the forum rules include "political" position and personal opinion. And that can't be helped. Inviting an expert on global warning as moderator implies to at least partially impose that person's opinion; but without such rules and moderation it becomes a cranky mess.
I did not see that (deleted?) thread as I was away, but thanks for the clarifications!
Borg
Jan7-13, 06:36 AM
PF Gold
P: 760
I'll add my voice to the list of people who disagree with you Infinitarian. This site is a quality site because of the Moderators and all of the work that they do. I also got whacked upside the head on one of my first posts but, I didn't take it as an insult or a reason to rant. I took it as a learning opportunity to understand the forum better before posting.
harrylin
Jan7-13, 06:51 AM
P: 3,185
Just a side note:
Quote Quote by Ryan_m_b View Post
[..]
I find it pathetic and utterly repugnant that mass persecution over a long period is being compared to having rules on an Internet forum. You are denigrating the suffering and struggle of countless people when you make such melodramatic and crass comments. [..]
That's not what "excommunication" means. ;-)

Excommunication is the exclusion of a member from contact (communication) with the group, so that his/her opinions will not be heard anymore. That could create a social problem for that person if there are no serious alternative groups. However there are a few serious alternatives to physicsforums - and many more crappy uncensored ones.
Ryan_m_b
Jan7-13, 07:04 AM
Mentor
P: 5,406
Quote Quote by harrylin View Post
Just a side note:

That's not what "excommunication" means. ;-)

Excommunication is the exclusion of a member from contact (communication) with the group, so that his/her opinions will not be heard anymore. That could create a social problem for that person if there are no serious alternative groups.
I'm well aware of what excommunication means and I still stand by what I said. Especially as some excomunications throughout history in small settlements would be accompanied by a public shaming and significant social problems afterwards.
Quote Quote by harrylin View Post
JustHowever there are a few serious alternatives to physicsforums - and many more crappy uncensored ones.
You're not wrong there
phinds
Jan7-13, 09:39 AM
PF Gold
Quote Quote by Ryan_m_b View Post
I'm well aware of what excommunication means and I still stand by what I said. Especially as some excomunications throughout history in small settlements would be accompanied by a public shaming and significant social problems afterwards.

You're not wrong there
+1 on both of those statements.
phinds
Jan7-13, 09:41 AM
PF Gold
I love salmon but in Evo's case would spare her being devoured, which is what I normally do with salmon.
russ_watters
Jan7-13, 12:05 PM
Mentor
P: 22,244
It is worth noting that we have far more lurkers than members and they can get a lot from PF without joining. That's not a common feature of religions, particularly Catholicism (not picking on Catholicism per se, that's just the main historical reference).

Register to reply