by Infinitarian
Tags: moderator, number, positions
russ_watters
Jan7-13, 01:16 PM
Mentor
P: 22,007
Quote Quote by harrylin View Post
Just a side note:

That's not what "excommunication" means. ;-)

Excommunication is the exclusion of a member from contact (communication) with the group, so that his/her opinions will not be heard anymore. That could create a social problem for that person if there are no serious alternative groups. However there are a few serious alternatives to physicsforums - and many more crappy uncensored ones.
That's not right either: In most religions, people are not allowed to have opinions. In the middle ages Catholic church, they weren't even allowed access to source material for the religion to help themselves to the knowledge!
OmCheeto
Jan8-13, 02:57 PM
PF Gold
P: 1,370
All this talk about "excommunication" made me look it up in wiki:

In Matthew 18:15-17 Jesus says that an offended Christian should first draw the offender's fault to the offender's attention privately1; then, if the offender refuses to listen, to bring one or two others2, that there may be more than a single witness to the charge; next, if the offender still refuses to listen, to bring the matter before the church, and if the offender refuses to listen to the church, to treat the offender as "a Gentile and a tax collector"3.
1. Mentor sends poster a "Private Message", telling them of an offense.
2. Mentors meet in mentor-land to discuss offender.
3. Offender is banned!

hmmm.....

Actually, these are the exact steps taken where I work when someone breaks a rule, and continues to break them.

------------------------------
Wraps humor badge around head to soften the blow of the impending lumpy salmon thwap, wielded by the almighty. Whom I will still praise, and give thanks, that I should be worthy of such an honor.
micromass
Jan8-13, 03:39 PM
Mentor
P: 16,692
Quote Quote by OmCheeto View Post
All this talk about "excommunication" made me look it up in wiki:

3. Offender is banned!

hmmm.....

Actually, these are the exact steps taken where I work when someone breaks a rule, and continues to break them.

------------------------------
Wraps humor badge around head to soften the blow of the impending lumpy salmon thwap, wielded by the almighty. Whom I will still praise, and give thanks, that I should be worthy of such an honor.
The mentors will now retreat to discuss this post privately...
Borg
Jan8-13, 04:09 PM
PF Gold
P: 729
3. Offender is banned!
Quote Quote by micromass View Post

Notices that there are no steps for poster to correct behavior...
micromass
Jan8-13, 04:25 PM
Mentor
P: 16,692
Quote Quote by Borg View Post

Notices that there are no steps for poster to correct behavior...
We are now discussing two offenders...
Evo
Jan8-13, 04:38 PM
Mentor
P: 25,958
To be honest, the member posted a banned topic, he was sent a zero point "warning" that the topic was banned. He did not get an infraction, nothing, not being infracted, he was not at risk of any mentor action, it was just a "heads up" and that's what caused his outburst. He never contacted the mentor with any questions, he basically appeared to have never read any of the forum rules, but that is our fault for having rules.
Drakkith
Jan8-13, 04:38 PM
PF Gold
P: 11,056
We are now discussing two offenders...
Beat them with the Ban Hammer until their fingers can no longer press the keys!!!
OmCheeto
Jan8-13, 04:53 PM
PF Gold

It has begun....

Borg
Jan8-13, 05:01 PM
PF Gold
P: 729
Quote Quote by Drakkith View Post
Beat them with the Ban Hammer until their fingers can no longer press the keys!!!
What was this thread about again? Oh, never mind...
OmCheeto
Jan8-13, 05:16 PM
PF Gold
Quote Quote by Drakkith View Post
And if you and berkeman would please stop mentioning helicopters, I will stop sharing my flashbacks.

----------------------------
Bang bang Evo's Ban Hammer came down on their hands, doop, de, doo, doop.....
Sung of course to the tune of Maxwell's Silver Hammer
Drakkith
Jan8-13, 05:30 PM
PF Gold
P: 11,056
Ah, back before the universe condensed into Technicolor...it must have been depressing with everything always so monochrome.
OmCheeto
Jan8-13, 07:35 PM
PF Gold
Quote Quote by Evo View Post
To be honest, the member posted a banned topic, he was sent a zero point "warning" that the topic was banned. He did not get an infraction, nothing, not being infracted, he was not at risk of any mentor action, it was just a "heads up" and that's what caused his outburst. He never contacted the mentor with any questions, he basically appeared to have never read any of the forum rules, but that is our fault for having rules.
I was quite serious the other day when I praised Greg's Super Moderator Guide. I was going to start my own thread in FF&A to the effect that that guide should be read before you start complaining.

After some years, one can interpolate the rules and structure of the forum without ever having read them. (I'm a man. I never read the instruction manual....) I was amazed though that this whole forum is still sticking to an apparently well thought out plan.

Perhaps you could institute a multi-phased set of rules for newbies:

for those with severe ADD (or men in general)
1. Play nice or Die

for those with short attention spans
2. 10 basic rules of the forum........
1. Play nice or Die
2. No swearing
3. No spam
4. No trolling
5. No fighting(except in the P&WA forum)
6. No fighting(unless it is about magnets. even Feynman wouldn't explain them.)
7. No, um, what are the rules?
8. No banned topics(hyperlink to list)
9. No crackpottery(hyperlink to definition)
10. Play nice or Die
for the wannabelawyers
3. Full set of rules..........(TLDR)

for the curious
4. Reference the S.M.G. as a guide to who and what these demi-gods called mentors are, where they come from, why they are necessary.

for anyone 16 and older
5. Tell people a 16 year old started this forum, and ask what they did when they were 16, besides pick their nose.

6. etc. etc. etc.
AlephZero
Jan8-13, 07:50 PM
Engineering
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
Thanks
P: 6,384
Quote Quote by jtbell View Post
Evo can be the Lord High Executioner. (Or should that be Lady High Executioner?)
She can have any part she wants, except Katisha...

OmCheeto
Jan8-13, 08:47 PM
PF Gold
Quote Quote by AlephZero View Post
She can have any part she wants, except Katisha...
I'm never quite sure about where and when to reveal my level of ignorance of things. At 50+, I've heard of the Mikado at least 1000 times.

But, I've never known what it was, where it was from, nor from what time it came.

Thank you, AlephZero.

I appreciate everything I can get.

Wow.

One would not think such a voice could be humanly possible.

More opera please.
berkeman
Jan8-13, 11:11 PM
Mentor
P: 39,683
I was quite serious the other day when I praised Greg's Super Moderator Guide. I was going to start my own thread in FF&A to the effect that that guide should be read before you start complaining.

After some years, one can interpolate the rules and structure of the forum without ever having read them. (I'm a man. I never read the instruction manual....) I was amazed though that this whole forum is still sticking to an apparently well thought out plan.

Perhaps you could institute a multi-phased set of rules for newbies:

for those with severe ADD (or men in general)
1. Play nice or Die

for those with short attention spans
2. 10 basic rules of the forum........
1. Play nice or Die
2. No swearing
3. No spam
4. No trolling
5. No fighting(except in the P&WA forum)
6. No fighting(unless it is about magnets. even Feynman wouldn't explain them.)
7. No, um, what are the rules?
8. No banned topics(hyperlink to list)
9. No crackpottery(hyperlink to definition)
10. Play nice or Die
for the wannabelawyers
3. Full set of rules..........(TLDR)

for the curious
4. Reference the S.M.G. as a guide to who and what these demi-gods called mentors are, where they come from, why they are necessary.

for anyone 16 and older
5. Tell people a 16 year old started this forum, and ask what they did when they were 16, besides pick their nose.

6. etc. etc. etc.
You left out the Homework Help admonitions. That seems like about half of what we Mentors deal with daily...
OmCheeto
Jan8-13, 11:37 PM
PF Gold
Quote Quote by berkeman View Post
You left out the Homework Help admonitions. That seems like about half of what we Mentors deal with daily...
Really? That's a surprise. Are people solving other peoples homework? Maybe I should sneak a problem in. I have a poly-dimensional mathematical problem that I don't even know how to write down, much less solve.
jtbell
Jan9-13, 05:59 AM
Mentor
P: 11,252
No, the "Homework Help admonitions" are for newcomers who haven't found the HH forums yet and start out by posting homework exercises in the other forums. You probably don't see very many of them because we move most of them pretty quickly.
harrylin
Jan11-13, 06:47 AM
P: 3,178
No. He owns this place.

Holy Moses! The SMG is an excellent read. (saved to desktop!) Good job Greg. Did you make all that up yourself?
[..]
Hmm... probably - and regretfully - the following rule is applied here:

If there’s a dispute between a member and a moderator, side slightly with the moderator. Of course, there are always exceptions to this rule, but try to follow it as much as possible. -http://www.sitepoint.com/super-moderator-guide/

Register to reply