Why do so many polyatomic ions contain oxygen?

by mishima
Tags: ions, oxygen, polyatomic
mishima
Jan7-13, 11:53 AM
P: 284
Phys.Org News Partner Chemistry news on Phys.org
Space-tested fluid flow concept advances infectious disease diagnoses
New, more versatile version of Geckskin: Gecko-like adhesives now useful for real world surfaces
Researcher develops novel wastewater treatment fabric
mishima
Jan9-13, 10:54 AM
Is this a dumb question for some reason?
Einstein Mcfly
Jan9-13, 11:20 AM
P: 160
It's vague. Is there a specific reaction or set of reactions that you're interested in, in a particular kind of situation/environment? Otherwise, I don't really know what to say. There are some with oxygen and some without. I have no idea what "so many" means here.

mishima
Jan9-13, 11:37 AM

In most gen chem texts (or web search) there is a table or list of common polyatomic ions. It seems the vast majority of them contain oxygen. A few exceptions are CN-, and NH4+. I am curious if there is a physical reason for this pattern.
mishima
Jan9-13, 11:37 AM
For example this list:

http://www.iun.edu/~cpanhd/C101webno...s/polyions.jpg
ChaseRLewis
Jan26-13, 04:23 PM
P: 43
"Reason" is that molecules with oxygen are typically quite stable with a negative charge. Especially if the molecule contains a resonance structure near the oxygen. Since oxygen is very electronegative it doesn't mind keeping the charge to other molecules as easily as those without oxygen. Could be more technical I guess but that's the gist.
Alkim
Jan27-13, 02:30 PM
P: 98
Hi,
Nice question. I agree with ChaseRLewis. By definition an anion is a negatively charged ion that easily combines with metal cations or protons to form a salt or an acid. In order for an ion to be capable of easily donating electrons it must have a very polar or easily polarisable structure which at the same time must be stable. The most electronegative elements are fluorine and oxygen so they should form the most polar bonds, but flourine does not form stable dianions. There are, however some oxygen-free ions with relatively covalent bonds, which are relatively stable, such as (HS)-, (CN)- , (SCN)-, NH2- and a few others such as (N3)- (C2)2- or (RC2)2- whose compounds with metals are generally very unstable.

Register to reply