Use geometry -Redshift derivation?

In summary: Delta x##, while Δt_em is the time it takes wavefront 2 to travel the distance d. In summary, to derive z = v/c where c is the speed of light and z = [v(obs)-v(em)]/v(em), we can use geometry and the Doppler effect to consider the observed and emitted frequencies of an electromagnetic wave emitted from a source receding from an observer. By considering the travel times of successive wavefronts, we can derive the equation for redshift in terms of frequency and velocity.
NanaToru
"use geometry"--Redshift derivation?

1. Use geometry to derive z=v/c where c is the speed of light and z = [v(obs)-v(em)]/v(em).

Homework Equations

None given... Though I am assuming that I am constant.

The Attempt at a Solution

I believe it has to do with the Doppler effect which gives Δf = (Δv/c)f. I'm not entirely sure what it means by geometry though; am I looking at the geometry of the changes of light, cause that seems super bizarre to me.

I feel so close to getting it but I feel like I'm missing something.

Physics news on Phys.org

What are v(obs) and v(em)? What about v? You cannot derive a formula without knowing what the different symbols mean

v-observed and v-emitted, I'm assuming. It doesn't clarify much more than that

First of all, you have to be careful with your symbols. Physicists often use the Greek letter "nu" (##\nu##) for frequency, rather than f. This is not the same thing as ##v##, the velocity of the source of emission. Secondly, your equation for redshift, in terms of frequency, should be ##z = (\nu_{em} - \nu_{obs})/\nu_{obs}##, as opposed to what you have there.

As far as solving the problem, using "geometry" just involves thinking about the source of emission receding from the observer, and considering the observed vs. emitted frequency that results. To do this, consider two successive wavefronts of the EM wave. After all, the frequency is just how often wavefronts pass by. Have the first wavefront be emitted at t = 0, when the source is a distance d from the observer. Then the second wavefront is emitted at a time t = Δtem later, this being the period between wavefronts, (which is the reciprocal of the emitted frequency). Note that at this later time, the source is now farther from the observer, so the second wavefront has a longer distance to travel than the first one did. At what time t1 does the first wavefront arrive at the obsever? At what time t2 does the second one arrive? What is the difference Δtobs between them? How does this differ from Δtem? So what is the frequency shift?

Thanks; I'll try to be more careful... I'm guessing I should be able to find it on the symbols haha.

Anyway, here's a picture I drew (sorry, I'm on a tablet so it's kind of messy)

So I'm guessing here that I can see that λ(obs)= λ(em) + x, and use that to figure out that z=x/cΔt = [itex]\nu[/itex] /c.

Is there significance in the fact that the it's an isosceles triangle?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    10.3 KB · Views: 393

I don't think you need a spacetime diagram.

Did you try the method I suggested using wavefront arrival times?

What is 'x' in your previous post ?

Here's my attempt at what you described, but it's got me all mixed up again.

I think t2 = t1+ some tΔx
Meaning that Δtobs=t2-t1 = t1 + tΔx - t1 = tΔx

Δtem=tem

So if I replace z=[[itex]\nu[/itex]em-[itex]\nu[/itex]obs)/[itex]\nu[/itex]obs, we wind up with

z=[itex]\nu[/itex]em/[itex]\nu[/itex][itex]\Delta[/itex]x

and so [itex]\nu[/itex]=[itex]\lambda[/itex]/v?

Is this the correct line of thinking so far?

NanaToru said:
Here's my attempt at what you described, but it's got me all mixed up again.

I think t2 = t1+ some tΔx
Meaning that Δtobs=t2-t1 = t1 + tΔx - t1 = tΔx

You're thinking along the right lines, you're just not quite getting the details. Say t = 0 is when wavefront 1 is emitted. Also, t2 is when wavefront 2 arrives. t1 is when wavefront 1 arrives. I'm assuming that Δt_x is the travel time required for wavefront 2. Therefore t2 is not t1 + Δt_x, because that would mean that wavefront 2 wasn't emitted until after wavefront 1 arrived. Instead, t2 = Δt_em + Δt_x, since Δt_em is the time interval between the emission of the two wavefronts.

1. What is redshift?

Redshift is a phenomenon in which the light from an object appears to be shifted towards the red end of the electromagnetic spectrum. This is caused by the object moving away from the observer, and is a result of the Doppler effect.

2. How is redshift related to geometry?

Redshift is related to geometry through the use of the distance-redshift relationship, which is derived from the geometry of spacetime. This relationship allows us to calculate the distance to an object based on its redshift.

3. What is the significance of redshift in cosmology?

Redshift is important in cosmology because it allows us to measure the expansion of the universe. As objects move away from us, their light appears more redshifted, which indicates that the universe is expanding.

4. How is the redshift of an object calculated?

The redshift of an object can be calculated using the formula z = Δλ/λ, where z is the redshift, Δλ is the observed change in the wavelength of light, and λ is the rest wavelength of the light.

5. Can redshift be used to determine the age of the universe?

Yes, redshift can be used to estimate the age of the universe through the use of the Hubble constant. This constant relates the expansion rate of the universe to its age, and can be calculated using the redshift of distant objects.