On which altitude does the heaven turns in black?

• Thread starter nickek
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Altitude
In summary, the conversation discusses at what altitude the sky turns black. While there is no exact point at which this happens, it is generally agreed upon that the transition is gradual as you go higher. Test pilots suggest that the sky appears black at 100,000 feet, while Concorde passengers claim it is black at 60,000 feet. The air pressure at these altitudes also decreases significantly, with the sky being indisputably black at 250,000 feet. However, it is noted that at around 70,000 feet, it will be very dark and by 100,000 feet, it will be more or less black. Ultimately, it is a matter of perspective and there is no specific altitude at which the
nickek
Hi!
Just got a question from my 6 years old nephew who just traveled in an aeroplane for the first time. He wonders where (which altitude) the heaven turns in black? Someone who knows?

Astronomy news on Phys.org
I don't have any specific numbers, but the transition is gradual (not sudden) as you go higher.

Test pilots unanimously assert the sky appears black at 100,000 feet. Concorde passengers have claimed the sky appears black at 60,000 feet. The air pressure at 60,000 feet is about 1 lb/in^2, at 100,000 feet it is 0.162 lbs/in^2, at 250,000 feet it is 0.000 lbs/in^2. Obviously, the sky is indisputably black when atmospheric pressure reaches 0.000.

Thanks for your answers!

While there's no point at which the sky turns black, you could ask when has it turned black by (in the same sense that you can't say exactly when it gets dark at night, but you could say that it will happen sometime before, e.g., 9pm. At around 70,000ft it will be very dark, and it will be more or less black by 100,000ft.

Edit: Oops, looks like Chronos snuck in while I was typing. Though, Chronos, maybe I'm misremembering but I thought the Concorde passengers said it looked black if they looked up out of their windows. So, not necessarily ambient blackness.

Nickek: That's a very bright question. You're nephew's one smart guy. :-)

1. What is the altitude at which the sky turns black?

The altitude at which the sky turns black varies depending on factors such as geographic location and atmospheric conditions. In general, the sky begins to turn black at around 12 miles (19 kilometers) above sea level.

2. Is it possible to see the sky turn black from the ground?

Yes, it is possible to see the sky turn black from the ground in certain conditions. For example, if you are in a location with clear skies and a high altitude, you may be able to see the sky turning black as you look up.

3. Are there any other factors besides altitude that can cause the sky to turn black?

Yes, there are other factors that can contribute to the sky turning black. For example, light pollution from cities and natural phenomena such as eclipses can also make the sky appear black.

4. Why does the sky turn black at higher altitudes?

The sky turns black at higher altitudes because there is less atmosphere to scatter and reflect sunlight. This results in a darker appearance as less light is reaching our eyes.

5. Is there a specific altitude at which the sky turns black?

There is no specific altitude at which the sky turns black, as it can vary depending on location and conditions. However, on average, the sky begins to turn black at around 12 miles (19 kilometers) above sea level.