Question about Inertia: Force to Overcome Mass of 1kg?

• Thread starter Macrobe
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Inertia
In summary, the amount of force needed to overcome inertia for a 1kg object depends on the desired acceleration, according to Newton's second law. However, there is no specific measurement for overcoming inertia that is independent of acceleration. The force required to move a stationary object also depends on the coefficient of static friction and weight of the object.
Macrobe
I have a question regarding Inertia. Exactly how much force, in Newtons, is required to overcome the inertia of exactly one kilogram of mass? It seems to me there must be some sort of quantity for it.

Physics news on Phys.org
It depends on how fast you want to accelerate the object. The equation is ##\vec{F_{Net}} = m\vec{a}##, or in words, (net force acting on the object) = (mass of the object) x (acceleration of the object). This is Newton's second law. It takes, for example, 1 Newton of force to accelerate a 1kg object at 1m/s2.

Ah. Okay...not exactly what I was looking for, but what I was looking for was probably wrong ;) thanks.

Yes, if you were looking for some measure of a force required to overcome inertia that is independent of acceleration, then there's no such thing.

yeah, it is pretty counter-intuitive that f=ma, because in our everyday lives, most of the time there are frictional forces.

I think Macrobe meant to ask how much force would be required to get a body off its stationary position. On a flat surface, it is equal to the co-efficient of static friction x Weight of the body (weight, not mass). If the body is on, say, a road, the force required to get the body would be around 0.7 times the weight of the body.

1. What is inertia?

Inertia is the property of an object to resist change in its state of motion. It is directly proportional to the mass of the object.

2. How is inertia related to force?

Inertia and force are inversely related. The greater the inertia of an object, the more force is required to overcome it and change its state of motion.

3. How much force is required to overcome the mass of 1kg?

According to Newton's Second Law of Motion, the amount of force required to overcome the mass of 1kg is 1 Newton (N).

4. How does inertia affect an object's motion?

Inertia affects an object's motion by making it difficult to change its velocity or direction. Objects with greater inertia require more force to accelerate or decelerate.

5. How does mass affect inertia?

Mass and inertia are directly proportional. The greater the mass of an object, the greater its inertia, and the more force is needed to change its state of motion.