Register to reply

I had a dream where I was intimate with my mom?

by Jamin2112
Tags: dream, intimate
Share this thread:
Jamin2112
Jan15-13, 04:12 PM
P: 911
How "normal" is this? Let's be honest. It's not like anyone will get you in trouble for posting on PF.
Phys.Org News Partner Medical research news on Phys.org
Three-quarters of depressed cancer patients do not receive treatment for depression, new approach could transform care
Better classification to improve treatments for breast cancer
Oral contraceptive equal to antibiotics for acne care
Mentalist
Jan15-13, 04:18 PM
P: 32
Woah! lol, I'm sorry I am immature. But to be honest with you, I had a similar dream but with my grandmother. It really scared me to the point of not visiting my grandmother. I usually visit her every year around Christmas/Thanksgiving. Otherwise, I avoid. It's weird and I don't know what it means. Does it mean you are sexually attracted to your mother, or me to my grandmother?

To add another ounce of weirdness to it, I began thinking about it during the daytime when I am conscious, so... Glad to see someone else coming out with similar weird dreams, otherwise I'd keep it to myself.

But I am not sexually attracted to my grandmother or I don't think I am. Hopefully a psychologist has some answers or someone with extensive dream research experience.
Evo
Jan15-13, 04:52 PM
Mentor
P: 26,541
Moved to psychology so it gets proper responses, which must be backed up by mianstream, aprropriate sources.

lisab
Jan15-13, 09:51 PM
Mentor
P: 2,986
I had a dream where I was intimate with my mom?

It's hard to find good sources on this topic - lots of noise out there. But here's something from the counseling center at Columbia University:

http://goaskalice.columbia.edu/sex-d...about-dad-help

Same issue, but with a gender switch.
Evo
Jan15-13, 10:40 PM
Mentor
Lets also not forget that usually a dream is just a dream, they have no meaning. Not real, not something we'd do or want to do. Dreams don't have to make any sense.
Bobbywhy
Jan15-13, 11:12 PM
PF Gold
P: 1,908
Quote Quote by Evo View Post
Lets also not forget that usually a dream is just a dream, they have no meaning. Not real, not something we'd do or want to do. Dreams don't have to make any sense.
May I ask please, for this response where are the "mianstream (sic), aprropriate (sic) sources" that you yourself requested?

Or, could this be unsubstantiated conjecture?

Thank you for your attention,
Bobbywhy
Bobbywhy
Jan15-13, 11:24 PM
PF Gold
P: 1,908
Using Google search I could not find any "mainstream appropriate sources" discussing sex with mothers. There were lots of other forums and blogs, but I did not find any "peer reviewed" appropriate sources. Under the "Oedipus complex" much of the theory seems to stem from Sigmund Freud. And he seems to have lost most of his credibility as of late.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oedipus_complex
AnTiFreeze3
Jan15-13, 11:47 PM
P: 251
Quote Quote by Bobbywhy View Post
May I ask please, for this response where are the "mianstream (sic), aprropriate (sic) sources" that you yourself requested?

Bobbywhy
Watch out, Evo, someone knows enough about journalism to take petty shots at your grammar.

EDIT:

I'm also worried about someone who needs a verified source to know that dreams aren't real.
jim hardy
Jan16-13, 08:46 AM
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 3,657
For Laplace transforms there's a handy table of conversions in the back of CRC handbook.
I don't think there's any analogous table of dream interpretations that would be credible..

If you fellows are serious, try a search on terms 'dream' and 'psychology' and peruse the results.

Here's an easily readable review of an article describing a logical approach to getting started.
The author being reviewed is, interestingly, a Political Science major turned psychologist, exactly like Evo's friend Professor Noll. He too went to Harvard.

http://psychcentral.com/lib/2011/how...its-important/

The steps he describes pretty well parallel my experience and i've read a couple of the pieces in his 'suggested reading'. It seems a reasonable place to start.

If you want some more light reading, here's a Jungian analysis of the Chicken Little fable that , well, just rocks.
http://www.innercitybooks.net/pdf/bo...ckenlittle.pdf
Enjoy !

old jim
Evo
Jan16-13, 09:46 AM
Mentor
Quote Quote by Bobbywhy View Post

Bobbywhy
LOL. No, I just got distracted and went to bed, forgetting to add a link.

Neurobiologists and neuropsychiatrists tend to think of dreaming sleep as "physiologically determined" and shaped by the activation of brain neurons, according to J. Allan Hobson, M.D., a Harvard Medical School psychiatrist who directs the Neurophysiology Laboratory of the Massachusetts Mental Health Center. The implications of this activation hypothesis contrast sharply with the psychoanalytic view of the dreaming process.

"What is at stake here is a theory of dreams that is scientifically valid," Dr. Hobson told 21stC. "If psychoanalytic dream theory is not scientifically valid, then psychoanalytic dream interpretation is not scientifically valid. I believe it is not."

Mitchison argued in a Nature article3 that the brain's neural memory systems are easily overloaded and that humans experience dream-laden REM to eliminate cognitive debris. In other words, dreams are nothing more than a mechanism for the nervous system to clear the brain of unnecessary, even harmful memories.

Drs. Crick and Mitchison called their theory "reverse learning" and quipped in their 1983 Nature article that "We dream to forget." In essence, they described dreams as garbage to be discarded from memory. In a later article in Behavioural Brain Research, Crick and Mitchison stated, "There is no evidence to suggest that remembered dreams are anything more than an accidental by-product of this (REM) function";
furthermore, they directly attacked psychoanalytic theory by writing, "To a modern neuroscientist Freud's theories, in spite of their appeal to the contemporary imagination, seem little better than the common belief in earlier times that dreams foretold the future, a belief which also held strong intuitive appeal."4 Their views left little room for the idea that it is psychologically valuable to analyze dreams.

Hobson adds, "Psychoanalysts want people to believe that they can interpret dreams and discover deep-seated meanings that are at the root of the dream process. I just don't think there is any scientific reason to believe that."
http://www.columbia.edu/cu/21stC/iss.../breecher.html

In other words, the OP shouldn't be worried if it was just a dream. Now, if he is obsessed with such thoughts when he is awake, he might want to seek professional help.

There is scientific study of the physiological effects of dreaming, not interpretations of their content.
Evo
Jan16-13, 10:16 AM
Mentor
More about the difference between scientific study of the effects of dreaming as opposed to non-scientifc "dream interpretation".

Harvard University psychologist Deirdre Barrett might have some answers for us. In a recent review of evolutionary theories concerning the possible adaptive function of dreaming, Barrett shrugs off the better-known psychoanalytic theories of dreams (for example, Freud’s “wish fulfillment” and Jungian archetypes) as being irreconcilable with a Darwinian framework and instead highlights the major contemporary, biologically informed theories. Remember, the key question for us to consider is why dreaming occurs at all, since it’s not immediately apparent why natural selection wouldn’t have simply engineered a dreamless, non-REM sleep.
http://www.scientificamerican.com/ar...y-enigma-dream

Quote Quote by jim hardy View Post
Here's an easily readable review of an article describing a logical approach to getting started.

http://psychcentral.com/lib/2011/how...its-important/
This isn't science. That source isn't valid either, it's not on the list of acceptable sources. It's some guy's website.

The author being reviewed is, interestingly, a Political Science major turned psychologist, exactly like Evo's friend Professor Noll. He too went to Harvard.
Not even close to true.

Your "source" went to Harvard Divinity School for two years. He has an MA in Theological studies and an M.A. in Transpersonal Psychology from Southwestern college.

He does not even have a PhD.

Dr Noll Currently is Associate Professor of Psychology at DeSales University.

He has a Ph.D. in clinical psychology.

He taught and conducted research at Harvard University for four years as a postdoctoral fellow and as Lecturer in History of Science. During the 1995-1996 academic year he was a Visiting Scholar at MIT and a Resident Fellow at the Dibner Institute for the History of Science and Technology.

Again, managing to pull a thread off topic with irrelevant comments.
jim hardy
Jan16-13, 11:58 AM
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 3,657
Dierdre Barrett's own words:
Theoretically, I'm an evolutionary psychologist; I believe that dreams are essentially thinking in a different biochemical state and that they can be extremely helpful because of focusing on our life-issues from a very different perspective.
I use dreams in my own self-exploration, in work with psychotherapy clients, and in psychology research.
http://dreamtalk.hypermart.net/membe...e_barrett.html

But we're getting procrustean here.

Psychology is in same state as electricity three hundred years ago - almost a parlor game.
There's much basic scientific work to be done.
RabbitWho
Jan19-13, 12:13 PM
P: 103
Apparently this happens to everybody. The only way it will ever be a problem for you is if you feel really guilty and weird about it, or if you try really really hard not to think about it, in which case you won't be able to think about anything else. It's normal, you're not sick, no worries.

Register to reply