Register to reply

Regarding Basis and Dual Basis

by simpleton
Tags: basis, dual
Share this thread:
simpleton
Jan21-13, 01:12 PM
P: 59
Hi, I'm learning about vector spaces and I would like to ask some questions about it.

Suppose I have a vector space [itex]V[/itex], and a basis for [itex]V \{v_1, ... v_n\}[/itex]. Then there is a dual space [itex]V^*[/itex] consisting all linear functions whose domain is [itex]V[/itex] and range is ℝ. Then the space [itex]V^*[/itex] has a dual basis [itex]\{x_1 ... x_n\}[/itex], and one way of constructing this dual basis is to let [itex]x_i[/itex] be a function that returns the [itex]i^{th}[/itex] coordinate of the vector when expressed in the given basis for [itex]V[/itex]. The claim is that the span of these functions is equal to [itex]V^*[/itex], and therefore the space and dual space have the same dimension.

I have a few questions. My textbook states that any linear function on [itex]V[/itex] can be expressed as a linear combination of the coordinate functions, but it does not explain why. May I know why this is the case? I am assuming that this is because a linear function on a vector must be a linear combination of its coordinates, but I'm not sure if this must always be the case, since I think a linear function is merely defined to be something that is closed under addition and multiplication under scalars.

The textbook also says that the coordinate functions are linear independent. By this, I think they mean that if there exists a linear combination of the coordinate functions such that any input vector returns 0 on the equation, then the coefficients of all the coordinate functions must be 0. I think this makes sense, but may I know if I interpreted it correctly?

Finally, it is mentioned that given any dual basis [itex]\{x_1...x_n\}[/itex] of [itex]V^*[/itex], you can construct a basis for [itex]V[/itex], such that the dual basis acts as coordinate functions for the basis of [itex]V[/itex]. By this, I think they mean that I can find a set [itex]\{v_1...v_n\}[/itex] such that [itex]x_i(v_j) = 1[/itex] iff [itex]i = j[/itex] and [itex]x_i(v_j) = 0[/itex] otherwise. But I'm not sure why this is true. I think that in order for this to be true, the following questions have to be answered.

1) Such a set [itex]\{v_1...v_n\}[/itex] exists.
2) Any vector in [itex]V[/itex] can be expressed as a linear combination of the vectors.
3) The constructed vectors are linearly independent.

I am not sure how 1) can be answered. I think 2) and 3) are actually the same question because we know that both [itex]V[/itex] and [itex]V^*[/itex] have the same dimension, and therefore both 2) and 3) have to be true at the same time so that the Linear Dependence Lemma is not violated. I am not sure how to prove 2), but I think I can prove 3). Suppose a linear combination exists, so [itex]\Sigma a_iv_i = 0[/itex] for some [itex]a_1...a_n[/itex]. But if I apply [itex]x_i[/itex] to this linear combination, I will get [itex]a_i = 0[/itex] so in the end I deduce that all the coefficients are 0. May I know if there is a way to prove 2) directly?

Thank you very much!
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Wildfires and other burns play bigger role in climate change, professor finds
SR Labs research to expose BadUSB next week in Vegas
New study advances 'DNA revolution,' tells butterflies' evolutionary history
Tenshou
Jan21-13, 08:06 PM
P: 150
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8M0LS...2ED373&index=2

Hope this video helps.
HallsofIvy
Jan23-13, 07:40 AM
Math
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
Thanks
PF Gold
P: 39,353
Let V be a vector space of dimension n. Then it has a basis [itex]\{x_1, x_2, \cdot\cdot\cdot, x_n\}[/itex]. For i from 1 to n, we define [itex]f_i[/itex] by requiring that [itex]f_i(x_j)= \delta_{ij}[/itex]. That is, [itex]f_i(x_j)[/itex] is equal to 1 if i= j, 0 if not. We define [itex]f_i[/itex] for any vector in V "by linearity": if [itex]x= a_1x_1+ a_2x_2+ \cdot\cdot\cdot+ a_nx_n[/itex] then [itex]f_i(x)= a_1f_i(x_1)+ a_2f_i(x_2)+ \cdot\cdot\cdot+ a_nf_i(x_n)= a_i[/itex].

Now, we show that this set of linear functions is a basis for V*. Suppose f is any linear function from V to its underlying field. For all i from 0 to n, let [itex]a_i= f(x_i)[/itex]. Then it is easy to show that [itex]f(x)= a_1f_1(x)+ a_2f_2(x)+ \cdot\cdot\cdot+ a_nf_n(x)[/itex] so that [itex]f= a_1f_1+ a_2f_2+ \cdot\cdot\cdot+ a_nf_n[/itex]. That is, this set of n linear functionals spans the entire space of all linear functionals on V.

Of course the linear functional f that takes all vectors in V to 0, in particular, takes all of the basis vectors, [itex]x_i[/itex], to 0 and so is [itex]f= 0f_1+ 0f_2+ \cdot\cdot\cdot+ 0f_n[/itex], showing that these functionals are independent.

(By the way, all of this requires that V be finite dimensional. Infinite dimensional vector spaces are not necessarily isomorphic to their duals.)

simpleton
Jan25-13, 01:14 AM
P: 59
Regarding Basis and Dual Basis

Hi HallsofIvy,

Thank you very much for your reply! I understand now how the linear functions work. Could you help me with the second part as well? How do you prove that you can find a corresponding basis [itex]\{v_1...v_n\}[/itex] exists given the basis of the dual space?
Fredrik
Jan25-13, 01:21 AM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 9,274
This is how I like to do these things: First a few comments about notation.

I use the convention that basis vectors of V are written with indices downstairs, and components of vectors of V are written with indices upstairs. So we can write a basis for V as ##\{e_i\}##, and if x is in V, we have ##x=\sum_i x^i e_i##. But I'll write this as ##x=x^i e_i##. The idea is that since there's always a sum over the indices that occur twice, and never a sum over other indices, it's a waste of time and space to type summation sigmas.

For members of V*, the convention for indices is the opposite. We'll write a basis as ##\{e^i\}##, and if x is in V*, we'll write ##x=x_i e^i##.

Since you're new at this, you may find it difficult to keep track of which symbols denote members of V and which symbols denote members of V*, so for your benefit, I will write members of V as ##\vec x## and members of V* as ##\tilde x##. I found this notation helpful when I was learning this stuff, but I don't use it anymore. By the way, I'm going to omit some "for all" statements, in particular "for all i" and "for all j". I hope it will be obvious when I'm doing so.

Let ##\{\vec e_i\}## be an arbitrary basis for V. I like to define the dual basis ##\{\tilde e^i\}## by saying that for each i, ##\tilde e^i## is the member of V* such that ##\tilde e^i(\vec e_j)=\delta^i_j##. For all ##\vec x\in V##, we have
$$\tilde e^i(\vec x)=\tilde e^i(x^j\vec e_i)=x^j\tilde e^i(\vec e_j)=x^j\delta^i_j=x^i.$$ To prove that ##\{\tilde e^i\}## is a basis for V*, we must prove that it's a linearly independent set that spans V*. To see that it spans V*, let ##\tilde y\in V^*## be arbitrary. For all ##\vec x\in V##,
$$\tilde y(\vec x)=\tilde y(x^i\vec e_i)=x^i\tilde y(\vec e_i)=\tilde e^i(\vec x)\tilde y(\vec e_i) =\tilde y(\vec e_i)\tilde e^i(\vec x) =\big(\tilde y(\vec e_i)\tilde e^i\big)(\vec x).$$ So ##\tilde y=\tilde y(\vec e_i)\tilde e^i##. To see that ##\{\tilde e^i\}## is linearly independent, suppose that ##a_i\tilde e^i=0##. Then ##(a_i\tilde e^i)(\vec x)## for all ##\vec x\in V##. This implies that ##(a_i\tilde e^i)(\vec e_j)=0## for all j. So for all j,
$$0=(a_i\tilde e^i)(\vec e_j) =a_i \tilde e^i(\vec e_j)=a_i\delta^i_j=a_j.$$ So all the ##a_i## are 0.

Now let ##\{\tilde e^i\}## be an arbitrary basis for V*. We want to use this to construct a basis ##\{\vec e_i\}## for V such that ##\tilde e^i(\vec e_j)=\delta^i_j##. Maybe there's a more direct approach, but this is the one I see immediately:

Let's write members of V** (the dual of V*) as ##\overleftarrow x##. We will write the dual basis of ##\{\tilde e_i\}## as ##\{\overleftarrow e_i\}##. Define a function ##f:V\to V^{**}## by ##f(\vec x)(\tilde y)=\tilde y(\vec x)##. (Since ##f(\tilde x)## is in V**, it takes a member of V* as input). It's not hard to show that this f is an isomorphism. Then we can define the basis for V by ##\vec e_i=f^{-1}(\overleftarrow e_i)##. Then we just verify that everything works out as intended.
lavinia
Jan25-13, 04:57 PM
Sci Advisor
P: 1,716
The vector space is isomorphic to the dual space of the dual space. Any vector v defines the linear map on dual vectors, l -> l(v).

The dual basis of the dual basis is the basis back again.

Register to reply