Register to reply

How long does entanglement last?

by San K
Tags: entanglement
Share this thread:
San K
Jan21-13, 01:23 PM
P: 915
once entangled photons are created (via say SPDC or quantum dots etc) .....how long does the entanglement last?

there is so much noise in the environment
so many things the entangled photons would interact with,
so many ways to transfer/exchange momentum with the surroundings
Phys.Org News Partner Physics news on Phys.org
First in-situ images of void collapse in explosives
The first supercomputer simulations of 'spin?orbit' forces between neutrons and protons in an atomic nucleus
Magnets for fusion energy: A revolutionary manufacturing method developed
bohm2
Jan21-13, 03:17 PM
PF Gold
P: 674
I'm not sure if someone has recorded longer than this for this size objects?
By combining the dissipative mechanism with a continuous measurement, steady state entanglement is continuously generated and observed for up to an hour.
Entanglement Generated by Dissipation and Steady State Entanglement of Two Macroscopic Objects
http://prl.aps.org/abstract/PRL/v107/i8/e080503
http://lanl.arxiv.org/pdf/1006.4344.pdf (full article pre-print)
LastOneStanding
Jan21-13, 05:11 PM
P: 718
Quote Quote by San K View Post
once entangled photons are created (via say SPDC or quantum dots etc) .....how long does the entanglement last?

there is so much noise in the environment
so many things the entangled photons would interact with,
so many ways to transfer/exchange momentum with the surroundings
You've more or less answered your own question: entanglement lasts as long as you can effectively mitigate those external factors. The larger the system is, the more difficult this is to do for extended periods.

Register to reply