Download the free PF App for iPhone/Android phones

• Thread starter Greg Bernhardt
  • Start date
In summary, the new PF App is based off the TapaTalk app, is very similar, and supports tex and list subscribed threads. There is a problem with not supporting LaTeX and I can't seem to find a way to list my subscribed threads. However, the subscribed threads are in Favorites. The app looks clean and supports Dark mode. There is a bug with white space around quotes, and the logo is not shown when starting the app. The app has been updated to version 2.4.4.1 and has 85 installs in under a week.
Download the new PF App for iPhone/Android phones! Please write rate and review too :)

It's based off the TapaTalk app, so if you are used to that, using this one will be very similar.

Download for Android phones:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.tapatalk.physicsforumscom

Download for iPhones/iPads:
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/physics-forums/id594086680?ls=1&mt=8

Download for Kindle:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00B5LJRDE/?tag=pfamazon01-20

Last edited:
Likes radiant_june, AGNuke and Alok Shah
Physics news on Phys.org

Way to go PF! :D

Anyone download it? :)

Likes Virendrachaudhary15

Any member who rates/reviews the app gets 6 month gold membership!

Likes jishnu and (deleted member)

Greg Bernhardt said:
Anyone download it? :)

Just did! :)

Got it! Reviewed it!

I noticed the Profile part loads as blank. I say someone gets banned for this.

It doesn't support tex and I can't seem to find a way to list my subscribed threads. :| Looks pretty clean though. :)

tahayassen said:
It doesn't support tex and I can't seem to find a way to list my subscribed threads. :| Looks pretty clean though. :)

The subscribed threads are in Favorites I believe.

tahayassen said:
It doesn't support tex

This is a problem and will hope to get it resolved.

6 months added to Gad, Pengwuino and tahayassen!

Tell me when it supports LaTeX. Until then I don't really see the point.

I experimented with Tapatalk for a few minutes until I realized I couldn't actually participate in any discussions I was interested in due to lack of math formulas. Deleted Tapatalk and got a refund.

Greg Bernhardt said:
This is a problem and will hope to get it resolved.

6 months added to Gad, Pengwuino and tahayassen!

You know I did not download it for that! :grumpy:

... But I don't mind it. :tongue2: :biggrin:

Awesome app and just reviewed it as well :)

AL

Greg Bernhardt said:
<snip>
An iPhone app will be coming late next week!

What about the old iPhone app? Is that one dead? I hope so :smile:

I'm so used to the web forum and a bit Aspergers about change but so far the thing I don't like is that when I view a thread and want to reply, I don't see a way to log in and have to go back to the subforum or main forum to press on the Login button but I don't know if that's a limitation of the backend or if this PF app was designed that way

Also I think it's kind of annoying to hit the menu button on my phone and then hit the Reply button to reply to a post but that might be because I'm used to the web view.

Ohhh I love the 'Dark mode' though. Never saw this option in the web view

also one thing I really dislike is that I can't view LaTeX. it's ok if I can't type it because it's rather bothersome even on a smartphone, but I would at least like to be able to read it

when I press on someone's profile, it just shows a blank page

Downloaded, used, loved, rated and reviewed. Much better than the mobile skin I've been using in a smartphone browser till now. (I can even see avatars.!) All functions are much simplified compared to the mobile version of the site. The ad in the bottom of the screen keeps appearing and disappearing randomly and I misclicked on the ads a couple of times.

The image that is shown while the app is loading looks lame in my mobile.

RfsW0.jpg

Maybe it was designed for larger screens..

Last edited:

hmmm I don't even see that logo when I start my app..it just goes straight to the forums/threads list

Download the new PF App for Android phones!

Thanks for all the input and reviews! Keep it coming! :)

Can you make the Android app available on the Google TV? It isn't currently; it says "This item is not compatible with your device."

lugita15 said:
Can you make the Android app available on the Google TV? It isn't currently; it says "This item is not compatible with your device."

I'll look into it, thanks!

Just got it. Haven't used it for more than a minute or two yet but I like what I see!

Rated and reviewed. Can I get my first gold membership please?

I_am_learning said:
Rated and reviewed. Can I get my first gold membership please?

Thank you!

I think there is some bug or glitch regarding white spaces around the quotes. I think a more tight design would be better.
For example compare the two screenshots, app vs browser.

Attachments

• 1358170569893.jpg
    1358170569893.jpg
    34.3 KB · Views: 613
  • Screenshot_2013-01-14-19-15-04.jpg
    Screenshot_2013-01-14-19-15-04.jpg
    26.6 KB · Views: 603
Last edited:
Updated to version 2.4.4.1

General:
- Updated Japanese / Arabic language support
- Improved startup performance
- Rate Us is now supported
- Fixed Android Profile view issue
- Added banner in thread view when entering from Notification

iPhone app update: I submitted the PF App to the Apple Store today. I hear it takes ~6 days to be reviewed. Should be ready by mid next week. I'll post when I know. Thanks!

Any news about the Google TV?

lugita15 said:
Any news about the Google TV?

No plans for the near future. Not many use Google TV.

Greg Bernhardt said:
Just hit 200 installs!

Nice! Now if only we can get 20,000 we can get that Super Secret Squirrel Decoder Ring we've been wanting!

Sorry folks, the iPhone app will be a little be longer. Apple rejected the app with a confusing reason. I'll figure it out. I must say the Android store process is vastly superior to the Apple store.

What's the reason they gave? iOS has its disadvantages, but, they are more stringent in their security measures, which is good. But in our case, I don't see the possibility of ill-intent. Maybe a lapse in the security of the app?

Drakkith said:
Nice! Now if only we can get 20,000 we can get that Super Secret Squirrel Decoder Ring we've been wanting!

We can use one of those here on campus... we have bazillions of squirrels to decode.

<h2>1. What is the PF App and what does it do?</h2><p>The PF App is a mobile application available for both iPhone and Android phones. It is a free app that allows you to easily access your PF account, track your workouts, and find nearby PF locations.</p><h2>2. How do I download the PF App on my phone?</h2><p>To download the PF App, simply go to the App Store for iPhone or the Google Play Store for Android. Search for "PF App" and click on the download or install button. The app will then be downloaded and installed on your phone.</p><h2>3. Do I need a PF membership to use the app?</h2><p>Yes, you will need a PF membership to use the app. You can either sign up for a membership through the app or use your existing membership information to log in.</p><h2>4. Can I track my workouts with the PF App?</h2><p>Yes, the PF App has a workout tracker feature that allows you to log your workouts, set goals, and track your progress. You can also sync your workouts with other fitness tracking apps for a more comprehensive view of your fitness journey.</p><h2>5. Is the PF App available in all countries?</h2><p>The PF App is currently only available in the United States and Canada. We are working on expanding to other countries in the future, so stay tuned for updates!</p>

1. What is the PF App and what does it do?

The PF App is a mobile application available for both iPhone and Android phones. It is a free app that allows you to easily access your PF account, track your workouts, and find nearby PF locations.

2. How do I download the PF App on my phone?

To download the PF App, simply go to the App Store for iPhone or the Google Play Store for Android. Search for "PF App" and click on the download or install button. The app will then be downloaded and installed on your phone.

3. Do I need a PF membership to use the app?

Yes, you will need a PF membership to use the app. You can either sign up for a membership through the app or use your existing membership information to log in.

4. Can I track my workouts with the PF App?

Yes, the PF App has a workout tracker feature that allows you to log your workouts, set goals, and track your progress. You can also sync your workouts with other fitness tracking apps for a more comprehensive view of your fitness journey.

5. Is the PF App available in all countries?

The PF App is currently only available in the United States and Canada. We are working on expanding to other countries in the future, so stay tuned for updates!