Relationship between seminormed, normed, spaces and Kolmogrov top. spaces

by Ocifer
Tags: kolmogrov, normed, relationship, seminormed, spaces
Ocifer
Jan15-13, 06:42 PM
P: 30
I am having trouble with a result in my text left as an exercise.

Let (X, τ) be a semi-normed topological space:

norm(0) = 0
norm(a * x) = abs(a) * norm(x)
norm( x + y) <= norm(x) + norm(y)

My text states that X is a normed vector space if and only if X is Kolmogrov. It claims it to be trivial and leaves it as an exercise. I'm able to get one direction, but I'm not very happy with it.

------------------------------------------------------------
(=> direction)

Assume X is normed, let x,y be in X, such that x != y.

Then d(x,y) > 0. I am tempted to use an open ball argument, claiming that there exists an open ball about x which cannot contain y, but then how do I relate this notion of open balls in a metric space to the open set required by the Kolmogrov (distinguishable) condition?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In terms of the other direction, I am entirely lost (Kolmogrov and semi-normed imples normed).

Can anyone provide some insight, I just took a course in Real Analysis last semester and I did quite well, and I'm having trouble generalizing my insights now to topological spaces. With the semi-normed space we lose discernability, and I have a hunch that the Kolmogrov condition patches that problem, but I just can't get there.
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Cougars' diverse diet helped them survive the Pleistocene mass extinction
Cyber risks can cause disruption on scale of 2008 crisis, study says
Mantis shrimp stronger than airplanes
rasmhop
Jan22-13, 05:39 AM
P: 418
For the => direction you are on the right track. You want an open ball B with center x, but with radius small enough that y is not in B. d(x,y) seems to be the only number you have to work with so try choosing a radius based on that. If you can find a radius such that y is not in B, then you are done because open balls are open sets.

In the other direction you wish to show [itex]\|x\| = 0[/itex] implies x=0. Suppose [itex]x \not= 0[/itex], then by the Kolmogorov condition you can find an open neighborhood U of either x or 0 which does not contain the other. Try to use this to find a radius r such that B(x,r) or B(0,r) is contained in U, in which case you can show [itex]\|x\|\not=0[/itex].

EDIT: Here B(p,r) means the open ball with center p and radius r.
Ocifer
Jan28-13, 05:11 PM
P: 30
Thank you for your reply.

Register to reply