Standing Wave Speed?

by ahaanomegas
Tags: physics, standing waves
ahaanomegas
Jan22-13, 08:46 PM
P: 27
My Friend and I were discussing standing waves and I made problem about speed, inspired off a concept taught in my Physics book: [itex]v = \sqrt {\frac {F_T}{m/L}}[/itex]. My Friend asked a very valid question: "How in the whole can you defined speed of a standing wave when it's not changing position?" - He understands the formula but not what velocity in a standing wave means. And he stumped me on it. I couldn't find an answer to that question.

Can you?
Phys.Org News Partner Physics news on Phys.org
Physicists consider implications of recent revelations about the universe's first light
Vacuum ultraviolet lamp of the future created in Japan
Grasp of SQUIDs dynamics facilitates eavesdropping
AlephZero
Jan22-13, 09:31 PM
Engineering
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
Thanks
P: 6,383
You can think of a standing wave as the superposition of two travelling waves moving in opposite directions.

For example ##\cos(x - vt)## and ##\cos (x + vt)## are two travelling waves, and their sum is ##\cos(x - vt) + \cos(x + vt) = 2\cos x \cos(vt)## which is a standiing wave.

Register to reply