Register to reply

Knot a Problem

by jedishrfu
Tags: knot
Share this thread:
jedishrfu
Jan22-13, 02:22 PM
P: 2,782
Interesting article from SciAm on transforming a rubberband into a trefoil knot and how math in the knot world of zero thickness says no but the real world says yes.

http://www.scientificamerican.com/ar...band-into-knot
Phys.Org News Partner Mathematics news on Phys.org
'Moral victories' might spare you from losing again
Fair cake cutting gets its own algorithm
Effort to model Facebook yields key to famous math problem (and a prize)
micromass
Jan22-13, 07:55 PM
Mentor
P: 18,036
Very cool video!!

However, using a knife to cut the band is a bit cheating, so it becomes a bit less impressive Still cool though.
jedishrfu
Jan22-13, 10:31 PM
P: 2,782
Quote Quote by micromass View Post
Very cool video!!

However, using a knife to cut the band is a bit cheating, so it becomes a bit less impressive Still cool though.
True, I liked the thinking outside the box even though we knew this trick from the mobius strip. I also liked how he compared the real to the math to show how one allows it but the other doesn't.

Number Nine
Jan22-13, 10:53 PM
P: 772
Knot a Problem

Quote Quote by jedishrfu View Post
True, I liked the thinking outside the box even though we knew this trick from the mobius strip. I also liked how he compared the real to the math to show how one allows it but the other doesn't.
That's not strictly true. The math allows for a torus to be made into a trefoil knot, which is what he did. It's a lesson in choosing mathematical models carefully. Still, it was a very cool video; I think I'll make one for myself.

Register to reply