Register to reply

Knot a Problem

by jedishrfu
Tags: knot
Share this thread:
jedishrfu
Jan22-13, 02:22 PM
P: 2,990
Interesting article from SciAm on transforming a rubberband into a trefoil knot and how math in the knot world of zero thickness says no but the real world says yes.

http://www.scientificamerican.com/ar...band-into-knot
Phys.Org News Partner Mathematics news on Phys.org
Heat distributions help researchers to understand curved space
Professor quantifies how 'one thing leads to another'
Team announces construction of a formal computer-verified proof of the Kepler conjecture
micromass
Jan22-13, 07:55 PM
Mentor
P: 18,296
Very cool video!!

However, using a knife to cut the band is a bit cheating, so it becomes a bit less impressive Still cool though.
jedishrfu
Jan22-13, 10:31 PM
P: 2,990
Quote Quote by micromass View Post
Very cool video!!

However, using a knife to cut the band is a bit cheating, so it becomes a bit less impressive Still cool though.
True, I liked the thinking outside the box even though we knew this trick from the mobius strip. I also liked how he compared the real to the math to show how one allows it but the other doesn't.

Number Nine
Jan22-13, 10:53 PM
P: 772
Knot a Problem

Quote Quote by jedishrfu View Post
True, I liked the thinking outside the box even though we knew this trick from the mobius strip. I also liked how he compared the real to the math to show how one allows it but the other doesn't.
That's not strictly true. The math allows for a torus to be made into a trefoil knot, which is what he did. It's a lesson in choosing mathematical models carefully. Still, it was a very cool video; I think I'll make one for myself.

Register to reply