Tags: constant, phase
Sciencer
Jan22-13, 02:46 PM
P: 3
we have the wave equation as follows with non zero phase constant:

y(x,t) = ym * sin(k( x - PHI/k) - wt)
or

y(x,t) = ym * sin(kx - w(t + PHI / w))

I don't understand where did the PHI /k or PHI / w came from ??

I understand how did we derive the wave equation but I don't understand this part.
Phys.Org News Partner Physics news on Phys.org
Physicists design quantum switches which can be activated by single photons
'Dressed' laser aimed at clouds may be key to inducing rain, lightning
Higher-order nonlinear optical processes observed using the SACLA X-ray free-electron laser
yungman
Jan22-13, 02:53 PM
P: 3,843
Quote Quote by Sciencer View Post
we have the wave equation as follows with non zero phase constant:

y(x,t) = ym * sin(k( x - PHI/k) - wt)
or

y(x,t) = ym * sin(kx - w(t + PHI / w))

I understand how did we derive the wave equation but I don't understand this part.
You just substitute in and both equation are the same.

But the more basic thing is, I never seen any book write it this way, that is very confusing. The three terms are totally independent. [itex]\omega t[/itex] is the time dependent, kx is distance dependent, and [itex] \phi[/itex] is a phase constant. You don't confuse this more by mixing them together as if they are related.

People usually set either t=0 or x=0 as a reference and generate two separate equations that relate t or x with [itex]\phi[/itex]. With this, you can generate two separate graphs of (y vs t) or (y vs x).
Sciencer
Jan22-13, 03:10 PM
P: 3
I see but what is then the reason for putting it in this form? What is the logic behind it ?

yungman
Jan22-13, 04:10 PM
P: 3,843

Question about phase constant

I don't see the logic and I never seen any book that presented it this way. I disagree with the book. In fact, I am at this very moment doing a lot of digging and asking questions regarding to these very kind of phasing issue with respect to direction of propagation, been searching through a lot of books and no body tries to put the equation like this way.......as if it is not confused enough dealing with phase constant with respects to t and x alone.
andrien
Jan23-13, 01:18 AM
P: 977
they just come from simple manipulation,there is nothing special about it.Don't break your head on this.

Register to reply