Register to reply

Are open sets in R^n always homeomorphic to R^n?

by iLoveTopology
Tags: homeomorphic, sets
Share this thread:
iLoveTopology
Jan19-13, 01:47 PM
P: 11
I know that open intervals in R are homeomorphic to R. But does this extend to any dimension of Euclidean space? (Like an open 4-ball is it homeomorphic to R^4?)

My book doesn't talk about anything general like that and only gives examples from R^2.
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
World's largest solar boat on Greek prehistoric mission
Google searches hold key to future market crashes
Mineral magic? Common mineral capable of making and breaking bonds
Bacle2
Jan19-13, 02:47 PM
Sci Advisor
P: 1,169
No for general open sets; look at, e.g., an open annulus, or any disconnected open set. But an open n-disk D:={x in R^n : ||x||<1 } (or any translation of it) is homeomorphic to R^n.
disregardthat
Jan22-13, 05:37 AM
Sci Advisor
P: 1,741
Any connected open set in R^n is homeomorphic to R^n, for any n. An open set in R^n is homeomorphic to the disjoint union of equally many R^n's as connected parts of your open set.

Bacle2
Jan22-13, 08:05 AM
Sci Advisor
P: 1,169
Are open sets in R^n always homeomorphic to R^n?

Actually, an open annulus is open and connected, but not homeomorphic to R^n, since it is not simply-connected.
disregardthat
Jan22-13, 06:14 PM
Sci Advisor
P: 1,741
Quote Quote by Bacle2 View Post
Actually, an open annulus is open and connected, but not homeomorphic to R^n, since it is not simply-connected.
thanks for the correction, i meant simply connected :)
micromass
Jan22-13, 07:13 PM
Mentor
P: 18,038
Quote Quote by disregardthat View Post
thanks for the correction, i meant simply connected :)
Also not true, then open set [itex]B(0,1)\setminus\{0\}[/itex] of [itex]\mathbb{R}^3[/itex] is simply connected but not homeomorphic to [itex]\mathbb{R}^3[/itex].
mathwonk
Jan23-13, 04:31 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
P: 9,453
notice R^n is contractible. But even that is not enough. Look at this:

http://math.stackexchange.com/questi...c-to-mathbb-rn

Register to reply