Rotation on a plane

by lendav_rott
Tags: plane, rotation
lendav_rott
Jan24-13, 04:22 AM
P: 221
1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
On a X-Y plane we have a square with its 4 corners A(3,1) B(7,3) C(2,6) D(0,2).
We are to rotate the rest of the square around the point A clockwise by 70 degrees.

2. Relevant equations
(I am not sure how they are called in English)
The rotation matrix 2x2 1st row: cosa ,-sina 2nd row: sina, cosa - call it G(a) so that
X' = G(a) * X

3. The attempt at a solution
I know how to use this matrix transposition or conversion (not sure how it is called) when I am rotating a vector around the 0-point, but I don't know how to rotate a vector around a point on the plane.

EDIT: Just as I posted this I got a revelation - I will Rotate the vector AB using the rotation matrix and then add point A's x and y coordinate respectively to the product of the matrixes. And all the same with the other corners - construct vector AC AD and deja vu.

Now there is a question:
When I do the product of G(a) * A , where A is the vector matrix - the vector spins counterclockwise, but when I do the product of AT * G(a) - the vector spins clockwise. I don't understand why - does it mean that AT * G(a) = G(-a) * A?
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Cougars' diverse diet helped them survive the Pleistocene mass extinction
Cyber risks can cause disruption on scale of 2008 crisis, study says
Mantis shrimp stronger than airplanes
HallsofIvy
Jan24-13, 06:03 AM
Math
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
Thanks
PF Gold
P: 38,896
Yes, the rotation matrix,
[tex]\begin{bmatrix}cos(\theta) & -sin(\theta) \\ sin(\theta) & cos(\theta)\end{bmatrix}[/tex]
is orthogonal- its columns or rows, considered as vectors, are "orthonormal", perpendicular and of length 1.

Also, the transpose is, as you say, equal to the reverse rotation:
[tex]\begin{bmatrix}cos(\theta) & sin(\theta) \\ -sin(\theta) & cos(\theta)\end{bmatrix}= \begin{bmatrix}cos(-\theta) & -sin(-\theta) \\ sin(-\theta) & cos(-\theta)\end{bmatrix}[/tex]
because cosine is an "even" function and sine is an "odd" function:
[itex]cos(-\theta)= cos(\theta)[/itex] and [itex]sin(-\theta)= -sin(\theta)[/itex].
oay
Jan24-13, 06:54 AM
Quote Quote by lendav_rott View Post
On a X-Y plane we have a square with its 4 corners A(3,1) B(7,3) C(2,6) D(0,2).
Funny looking square!

lendav_rott
Jan24-13, 08:42 AM

Rotation on a plane

Yes I know it's not a square :D But that's what the assignment said, it's not important though. I guess you can call it a polygonia or however it is called in English :/

Also thanks HallsofIvy - read some about it and played around with the numbers a bit and I understand how it works :)

Register to reply