How to find angle after two rotations

In summary, the conversation involves discussing rotations in a coordinate system and finding the angles between old and new axes in a transformation involving multiple rotations. The conversation also suggests using matrices or quaternions to represent these rotations.
1MileCrash
I have coordinate system A with bases a, b, c.

Say I rotate the whole system 30 degrees, so that the angle between a and a' is 30 degrees.

Then I make another rotation so that this plane of rotation is perpendicular to that of the old one.

What is the angle between a and a' now?

I am trying to find the angles to use in a tensor transformation law, but I am having problems understanding what the angles will be between the old and new axes when a transformation isn't just a single rotation in one plane of the system.

Tia

Mathematics news on Phys.org
You can write any rotation as a matrix multiplication. Then two rotations is given by the product of the two matrices.

For example, if you wrote 30 degrees around the z- axis, the rotation is given by
[tex]\begin{bmatrix} cos(30) & -sin(30) & 0 \\ sin(30) & cos(30) & 0 \\ 0 & 0 & 1\end{bmatrix}= \begin{bmatrix}\frac{\sqrt{3}}{2} & -\frac{1}{2} & 0\\ \frac{1}{2} & \frac{\sqrt{3}}{2}& 0 \\ 0 & 0 & 1\end{bmatrix}[/tex]

A rotation around the y-axis, through 30 degrees is given by
[tex]\begin{bmatrix} cos(30) & 0 &-sin(30)\\ 0 & 1 & 0 \\ sin(30) & 0 & cos(30) \end{bmatrix}= \begin{bmatrix}\frac{\sqrt{3}}{2} & 0 & -\frac{1}{2} \\ 0 & 1 & 0 \\ \frac{1}{2} & 0 & \frac{\sqrt{3}}{2}\end{bmatrix}[/tex]

The two rotations together would be given by the product of the two matrices.

1. How can I find the angle after two rotations using trigonometry?

To find the angle after two rotations, you can use the formula: angle = 2π x (number of rotations). This is based on the fact that one full rotation is equal to 2π radians. For example, if you rotate an object twice, the angle would be 2π x 2 = 4π radians.

2. Can I use the Pythagorean theorem to find the angle after two rotations?

No, the Pythagorean theorem only applies to right triangles and does not take into account rotations. It is better to use the formula mentioned in the previous answer.

3. What if I want to find the angle after two rotations in degrees instead of radians?

If you want the angle in degrees, you can use the formula: angle = 360 x (number of rotations). This is because one full rotation is equal to 360 degrees. For example, if you rotate an object twice, the angle would be 360 x 2 = 720 degrees.

4. Is there a difference between clockwise and counterclockwise rotations when finding the angle?

No, the direction of the rotation does not affect the angle. The formula to find the angle after two rotations applies to both clockwise and counterclockwise rotations.

5. Can I use a protractor to measure the angle after two rotations?

Yes, you can use a protractor to measure the angle after two rotations. Make sure to align the protractor with the starting point of the rotation and the end point to get an accurate measurement.