Share this thread:
PhizKid
Jan24-13, 11:40 AM
P: 476
zoobyshoe
Jan24-13, 12:10 PM
P: 5,641
Quote Quote by Jimmy Snyder View Post
Some experts suggest that while we were advancing on Yorktown, they were headed for a pleasant day of sightseeing at Williamsburg.
History comes alive in your hands, JS. I feel like I'm actually there, seeing the exhalations of breath, the smell of sweat, the crunch of Nikes on asphalt, as the experts make their slow, tortuous advance on Williamsburg.
Kinase
Jan24-13, 04:11 PM
P: 17
Quote Quote by turbo View Post
It is colder than -10 deg F, and I think our furnace died. I got up to go to the bathroom and was freezing. Now, I am stoking the woodstove, trying to get the indoor temperature into the 60s.
i was skiing in Colorado and it was -20F. I've never been that cold before. It's freezing here and there's still no snow, just wind.

Anyway, I'm trying to buy a mountain bike, and I know that disc brakes, which apply the braking force nearest to the axel are better than those which just apply it to the rim, far from the center of the wheel. Physics behind that? torque or something? I'm a bio guy.
Jimmy Snyder
Jan24-13, 04:52 PM
P: 2,179
Today we did an inspection tour of the settlement at Jamestown. No relation. 100 men and 4 boys arrived there from England in 1607, no women, no farmers. They formed the first permanent English settlement in America. They had instructions not to displace the natives and they landed on what they thought was an uninhabited island. It wasn't an island but was connected to land by a sand bar and while the natives didn't live there, they did hunt and plant there. The boys were brought with the intention of exchanging hostages. They didn't bring women because they didn't want to alert the natives that they intended to stay permanently. They didn't bring farmers because they had no intention of farming. The idea was to trade with the natives for food. Also to send lumber and other goods back to England, look for gold, and for a water passage to the Pacific Ocean which they believed to be 300 miles to the west. The venture was paid for by The London Company, with the intention of returning profits to the stockholders. It took some time until they found that they could become profitable by planting a strain of tobacco sweeter than the local variety. The arrived at the early stages of a 6 year long drought. The natives were not in a position to trade much food with them and many died as a result. Pocahontas was 10 years old when they arrived and as daughter of Chief Powhaten was sent with goodwill gifts of food. She caused something of a scandal as it was the custom to go naked until the age of 12. She eventually married John Rolfe and he brought her to England where she died. The astronomer Percival Lowell is a descendant as are Edith Wilson (president Wilson's wife) and Nancy Reagan.
PhizKid
Jan24-13, 07:41 PM
P: 476
This is not me:
- Go into Subway on campus
- Hot chick working at counter
- mess up my order fumbling my words because she's hot
- Try to make joke about "11-inch Footlong"
- She bertstares me
- I let out nervous laugh
- Asks if I want cheese
- I make awkward joke trying to save face "Only if its non-dairy hehehe"
- Bertstare even more prominent this time around
- People around us are starting to laugh at me
- I get to the counter to pay, grab a cup, other chick asks me if I'd like any chips+drink
- I say no, pay for footlong and take cup with me
- Calls me back, says I didn't pay for cup
- I apologize profusely, and leave my sandwich there along with cup
- Calls me back to get my sandwich
- At this point I notice two people are filming me on phones
- First hot chick stopped making sandwiches, is just staring at me and laughing
- Tell myself I'm never coming back again to this Subway as I leave...
- I come back a minute later because I left my fking backpack in 1 of the booths (was planning on eating there, saved seat)
- Never going back there again
lisab
Jan24-13, 08:28 PM
Mentor
P: 3,008
Quote Quote by PhizKid View Post
This is not me:
Oh dear... ...sorry, I couldn't help myself. I'm laughing *with* you, not at you !

I truly feel for those of you who have to operate every day under the influence of testosterone.
turbo
Jan24-13, 08:33 PM
PF Gold
P: 7,363
Quote Quote by lisab View Post
I truly feel for those of you who have to operate every day under the influence of testosterone.
Don't you watch the evening news? Some of us have "Low-T"
Borg
Jan25-13, 08:40 AM
PF Gold
P: 784
The Onion strikes again. Radio host tricked by Onion story about drones at the Inauguration.

Kholdstare
Jan25-13, 03:37 PM
P: 390
If we combine history and electronics, do we get histrionics?
Borek
Jan25-13, 03:58 PM
Admin
P: 23,716
No, electors.
Kholdstare
Jan25-13, 04:06 PM
P: 390
Quote Quote by Kholdstare View Post
Or maybe electronics to cure hysteria as shown in the movie 'Hysteria (2011 film)'.
Jimmy Snyder
Jan25-13, 07:27 PM
P: 2,179
Quote Quote by Kholdstare View Post
The recent election indicates that the country is divided between Blue states and Red states. Today we walked into the Civil War Visitor Center in Richmond VA to demand that they explain this so-called war between the states. They flat out refused to discuss the matter, but they did try to electrify us with stories about battles that are lost in the mists of history. We were quite impressed with this, for lack of a better word, electory.

In 1862, General McClellan came to Richmond to see the Civil War Visitor Center, but several Confederate soldiers prevented him from entering. He did get within 5 miles and if he had succeeded, he probably would have ended the war. Richmond was not only the Capitol of the Confederacy, but also its most important industrial center. In 1864, General Grant came by with the same intention as McClellan and encountered the same bunch of ruffians. They killed 5,000 of his best friends. He retreated, went south, and besieged Petersberg. This seige lasted until it ended 9 months later with the fall of the city. Trains headed for Richmond had to pass through Petersberg and so the Confederates vacated the city and burned it behind them.

Then we went to Hollywood cemetery, saw the grave of Jefferson Davis, president of the Confederacy, and finally headed back to our villa. As we were driving, it started to snow. Not very heavy by South Jersey standards, but it brought traffic to a crawl and we passed 4 cars that had skidded off the road. When we got back, we headed for the outdoor hottub. Aaaah, hot body, cool head, you can't beat it.
jim hardy
Jan26-13, 11:19 AM
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 3,743
I was angry with my friend:
I told my wrath, my wrath did end.
I was angry with my foe:
I told it not, my wrath did grow.

wm blake
DennisN
Jan27-13, 09:45 AM
P: 484
Batman science.
Attached Thumbnails
BSC-FTLNeutrinos.jpg  
OmCheeto
Jan27-13, 12:52 PM
PF Gold
P: 1,435
I learned a new word today: mansplain

A Cultural History of Mansplaining
NOV 1 2012

Solnit didn't use the word "mansplain"; she merely, well, explained it, describing the time a man explained a book to her without acknowledging that she herself wrote it.
Although it appears to be gender specific, both men and women can mansplain things to others.

It simply indicates that the explainer knows less about the subject than the explainee.

A personal experience:
Om; "I wish I knew how solar panels worked"
Mansplainer; "It's simple Om. Solar panels work by light pushing the positrons out the back of the panel"
Om; "Why thank you for that mansplanation. It now all makes sense to me."
Bystander; "What did he say, I didn't catch all of that."
Om; "He was mansplaining to me how solar panels work. Say, doesn't it take at least a .5 Mev gamma ray to produce a positron via pair production?"
Bystander; "I don't know."
Om; "I can't remember either. It might be double that figure. It's been decades since I've studied that. But I think I'll google the energy level of visible light waves to see how far off Mansplainer is with his matter-antimatter theory."

---------------------------
And just in case anyone is curious, the answer was: Off by a magnitude of ~6
1.6 to 3.4 eV: the photon energy of visible light.
1 MeV: Or, 1.60210−13 J, about twice the rest mass-energy of an electron. - minimum energy level required for pair production
drizzle
Jan27-13, 12:57 PM
PF Gold
P: 526
Is it Sunday today?

It is Sunday..

Q: Why isn't there chat today?
AnTiFreeze3
Jan27-13, 02:10 PM
P: 251
Quote Quote by Gad View Post
Is it Sunday today?