Register to reply

Spilt my drink in my laptop. Advice?

by Jd0g33
Tags: advice, drink, laptop, spilt
Share this thread:
Jd0g33
Jan22-13, 05:18 PM
P: 326
I before i got to turning it off right after i spilt the drink, the fan seemed to boost up to the highest speed in the laptop. Then i took out the battery and havent done anything else. I was just wondering how exactly water ruins a laptop, considering the water will eventually evaporate, right? Is there still hope?
Phys.Org News Partner Engineering news on Phys.org
Philips introduces BlueTouch, PulseRelief control for pain relief
3-D printing leads to another advance in make-it-yourself lab equipment
Nanoscience makes your wine better
Mordred
Jan22-13, 05:21 PM
P: 1,857
Provided you reemoved all power fast enough there is still hope keep all power removed dry out the laptop. Liquid damage unless it shorts a circuit does not necessarily damage a circuit board right away. if it shorted you should smell a sweet smell. If it didn't then drying it out may work
jedishrfu
Jan22-13, 05:25 PM
P: 3,097
Sometimes it rusts things. Its good it wasnt pool water with chlorine that how a lot of people lose cell phones.

http://www.popularmechanics.com/tech...o/tips/4269047

I once dropped a soda into my terminal keyboard which is bad but worse is I picked it up to dump out the soda and the soda then got to drip down the shaft of some keys. The end result was a bunch of perpetually sticky keys rendering it unusable

http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology...lled-on-laptop

My spill occurred because my drink was next the the keyboard and when I went to answer the phone and standup at the same time the phone cord snapped straight, hit the drink and puff the keyboard got soaked.

jim hardy
Jan22-13, 06:19 PM
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 3,757
Spilt my drink in my laptop. Advice?

try a rinse with distilled water - after removing the battery.

Then dry it in a warm place overnight.

good luck.
Mordred
Jan22-13, 06:26 PM
Actually I would recommend isopropynal alcohol. Most laptops have removable keys that you can pop. Temove the keys. Underneath you will see a row columm strip with graphite pads take the alcohol and pour a bit on a lint free cloth. Clean the pafs and remove any coffee film liquid.
dlgoff
Jan22-13, 07:49 PM
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 2,733
Use good hot soapy water and get the board & components warm/~hot (hot components evaporate the water faster) followed by jim hardy's distilled water rinse (don't wont to leave conductive impurities) then set aside to dry.
OCR
Jan22-13, 09:12 PM
P: 124
Quote Quote by Mordred View Post
Actually I would recommend isopropynal alcohol. Most laptops have removable keys that you can pop. Temove the keys. Underneath you will see a row columm strip with graphite pads take the alcohol and pour a bit on a lint free cloth. Clean the pafs and remove any coffee film liquid.
You probably meant isopropyl alcohol, right?...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Isopropyl_alcohol
Isopropyl alcohol is used in keyboard, LCD and laptop cleaning, is sold commercially as a whiteboard cleaner, and is a strong but safer alternative to common household cleaning products.

OCR
Mordred
Jan22-13, 09:30 PM
Yeah thats the one lol
skeptic2
Jan23-13, 09:11 PM
P: 1,822
I once spilled a Pepsi on a keyboard. I immediately grabbed it and put it under the cold water tap in the bathtub. After thoroughly washing it for about 10 minutes I washed it with distilled water. A couple of days later when I thought it was totally dry, I tried it. It didn't work and it never worked again. Good luck. Maybe one of the other solutions will work.
jedishrfu
Jan23-13, 11:38 PM
P: 3,097
So how did the OP Lundyjp make out? Did the computer survive our advice?
sophiecentaur
Jan24-13, 09:12 AM
Sci Advisor
Thanks
PF Gold
P: 12,266
It's always a good idea to remove the battery from any device that gets a soaking, asap.
anorlunda
Jan24-13, 03:22 PM
P: 215
Some keyboards have a moisture barrier that can prevent water from penetrating to the rest of the circuitry. For example, my Samsung notebook has such a barrier and it has survived splashes of salt water. Their protection against spills is not absolute, but better than no barrier.

Look for such a barrier the next time you shop for a computer.
Jd0g33
Feb2-13, 01:09 PM
P: 326
Hey sorry just looked at the thread again. My laptop is working perfectly fine now. I just pulled out the motherboard(where i expected the most liquid to be) and i wiped it down with alcohol and a microfiber cloth. I saw an area that had a little more dried soda so i gave it a little extra cleaning. Everything's perfect now. Thanks guys
turbo
Feb2-13, 01:29 PM
PF Gold
P: 7,363
For those who have not had much PC experience, please understand that spilling liquids on a keyboard is not a disaster. Rinse the KB thoroughly and let it dry and it will be fine. Spilling liquids on a laptop can be a real problem, because there is a lot of circuitry under that keyboard, and you can't just flush everything with warm water and expect it all to work out.

When I was the IT guy for a large ophthalmic practice, I would scold the clerks/secretaries when they would spill coffee/soda etc on their keyboards. I could easily rinse them off and dry them, but I would punish them by giving them a replacement keyboard that they would dislike. "No beverages on the desk" predated me, but it was widely ignored.
Mordred
Feb3-13, 09:55 AM
Glad everything worked out.

Register to reply