Register to reply

Spilt my drink in my laptop. Advice?

by Jd0g33
Tags: advice, drink, laptop, spilt
Share this thread:
Jd0g33
#1
Jan22-13, 05:18 PM
Jd0g33's Avatar
P: 326
I before i got to turning it off right after i spilt the drink, the fan seemed to boost up to the highest speed in the laptop. Then i took out the battery and havent done anything else. I was just wondering how exactly water ruins a laptop, considering the water will eventually evaporate, right? Is there still hope?
Phys.Org News Partner Engineering news on Phys.org
Greater safety and security at Europe's train stations
Fingerprints for freight items
On the way to a safe and secure smart home
Mordred
#2
Jan22-13, 05:21 PM
Mordred's Avatar
P: 1,857
Provided you reemoved all power fast enough there is still hope keep all power removed dry out the laptop. Liquid damage unless it shorts a circuit does not necessarily damage a circuit board right away. if it shorted you should smell a sweet smell. If it didn't then drying it out may work
jedishrfu
#3
Jan22-13, 05:25 PM
P: 3,001
Sometimes it rusts things. Its good it wasnt pool water with chlorine that how a lot of people lose cell phones.

http://www.popularmechanics.com/tech...o/tips/4269047

I once dropped a soda into my terminal keyboard which is bad but worse is I picked it up to dump out the soda and the soda then got to drip down the shaft of some keys. The end result was a bunch of perpetually sticky keys rendering it unusable

http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology...lled-on-laptop

My spill occurred because my drink was next the the keyboard and when I went to answer the phone and standup at the same time the phone cord snapped straight, hit the drink and puff the keyboard got soaked.

jim hardy
#4
Jan22-13, 06:19 PM
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
jim hardy's Avatar
P: 3,686
Spilt my drink in my laptop. Advice?

try a rinse with distilled water - after removing the battery.

Then dry it in a warm place overnight.

good luck.
Mordred
#5
Jan22-13, 06:26 PM
Mordred's Avatar
P: 1,857
Actually I would recommend isopropynal alcohol. Most laptops have removable keys that you can pop. Temove the keys. Underneath you will see a row columm strip with graphite pads take the alcohol and pour a bit on a lint free cloth. Clean the pafs and remove any coffee film liquid.
dlgoff
#6
Jan22-13, 07:49 PM
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
dlgoff's Avatar
P: 2,726
Use good hot soapy water and get the board & components warm/~hot (hot components evaporate the water faster) followed by jim hardy's distilled water rinse (don't wont to leave conductive impurities) then set aside to dry.
OCR
#7
Jan22-13, 09:12 PM
P: 124
Quote Quote by Mordred View Post
Actually I would recommend isopropynal alcohol. Most laptops have removable keys that you can pop. Temove the keys. Underneath you will see a row columm strip with graphite pads take the alcohol and pour a bit on a lint free cloth. Clean the pafs and remove any coffee film liquid.
You probably meant isopropyl alcohol, right?...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Isopropyl_alcohol
Isopropyl alcohol is used in keyboard, LCD and laptop cleaning, is sold commercially as a whiteboard cleaner, and is a strong but safer alternative to common household cleaning products.


OCR
Mordred
#8
Jan22-13, 09:30 PM
Mordred's Avatar
P: 1,857
Yeah thats the one lol
skeptic2
#9
Jan23-13, 09:11 PM
P: 1,815
I once spilled a Pepsi on a keyboard. I immediately grabbed it and put it under the cold water tap in the bathtub. After thoroughly washing it for about 10 minutes I washed it with distilled water. A couple of days later when I thought it was totally dry, I tried it. It didn't work and it never worked again. Good luck. Maybe one of the other solutions will work.
jedishrfu
#10
Jan23-13, 11:38 PM
P: 3,001
So how did the OP Lundyjp make out? Did the computer survive our advice?
sophiecentaur
#11
Jan24-13, 09:12 AM
Sci Advisor
Thanks
PF Gold
sophiecentaur's Avatar
P: 12,186
It's always a good idea to remove the battery from any device that gets a soaking, asap.
anorlunda
#12
Jan24-13, 03:22 PM
P: 206
Some keyboards have a moisture barrier that can prevent water from penetrating to the rest of the circuitry. For example, my Samsung notebook has such a barrier and it has survived splashes of salt water. Their protection against spills is not absolute, but better than no barrier.

Look for such a barrier the next time you shop for a computer.
Jd0g33
#13
Feb2-13, 01:09 PM
Jd0g33's Avatar
P: 326
Hey sorry just looked at the thread again. My laptop is working perfectly fine now. I just pulled out the motherboard(where i expected the most liquid to be) and i wiped it down with alcohol and a microfiber cloth. I saw an area that had a little more dried soda so i gave it a little extra cleaning. Everything's perfect now. Thanks guys
turbo
#14
Feb2-13, 01:29 PM
PF Gold
turbo's Avatar
P: 7,363
For those who have not had much PC experience, please understand that spilling liquids on a keyboard is not a disaster. Rinse the KB thoroughly and let it dry and it will be fine. Spilling liquids on a laptop can be a real problem, because there is a lot of circuitry under that keyboard, and you can't just flush everything with warm water and expect it all to work out.

When I was the IT guy for a large ophthalmic practice, I would scold the clerks/secretaries when they would spill coffee/soda etc on their keyboards. I could easily rinse them off and dry them, but I would punish them by giving them a replacement keyboard that they would dislike. "No beverages on the desk" predated me, but it was widely ignored.
Mordred
#15
Feb3-13, 09:55 AM
Mordred's Avatar
P: 1,857
Glad everything worked out.


Register to reply

Related Discussions
What Laptop Would You Advice? Computers 17
Advice on purchasing new laptop Computing & Technology 8
Laptop advice? Computing & Technology 12
A laptop for the guy that doesn't really know if he needs a laptop Computing & Technology 23
What's your drink? General Discussion 58