Register to reply

Contemporary Engineering Issues

by Engineer_Phil
Tags: contemporary, engineering
Share this thread:
Engineer_Phil
Jan22-13, 03:34 PM
P: 27
I am looking for ideas for a contemporary engineering issue to write a paper about and give a brief presentation on.
Phys.Org News Partner Engineering news on Phys.org
Student develops filter for clean water around the world
Developing the next evolution in underwater communication
Compact vibration harvester power supply with highest efficiency opens door to "fix-and-forget" sensor nodes
berkeman
Jan22-13, 04:03 PM
Mentor
P: 40,649
Quote Quote by Engineer_Phil View Post
I am looking for ideas for a contemporary engineering issue to write a paper about and give a brief presentation on.
What are your initial ideas? Which fields of engineering?
Bobbywhy
Jan24-13, 02:59 AM
PF Gold
P: 1,881
When I entered the terms “contemporary issues in mechanical engineering” (as a trial example) in Google search I got about 2,870,000 results in 0.28 seconds. A few sites I visited there had lists of over eighty specific contemporary issues. Have you tried this?

Engineer_Phil
Jan24-13, 10:42 AM
Contemporary Engineering Issues

Quote Quote by Bobbywhy View Post
When I entered the terms “contemporary issues in mechanical engineering” (as a trial example) in Google search I got about 2,870,000 results in 0.28 seconds. A few sites I visited there had lists of over eighty specific contemporary issues. Have you tried this?
Does google have an option to show me what people would find most interesting? I asked because I wanted input from people that have an interest in engineering, not a mindless list from a search engine.

I have decided that carbon sequestation would be a good topic to use.
berkeman
Jan24-13, 12:17 PM
Mentor
P: 40,649
Does google have an option to show me what people would find most interesting? I asked because I wanted input from people that have an interest in engineering, not a mindless list from a search engine.

Please mellow the attitude. One of the themes of the PF is that we expect people to do work and research on their own before asking questions here. And we expect to see evidence of those efforts in your original post (OP). That's why I asked the question that I did -- to see what you had done on your own.

We get people coming here all the time trying to get us to do their schoolwork for them, and we try to avoid doing that. Glad you found something that you like as a topic.
Engineer_Phil
Jan24-13, 12:36 PM
Quote Quote by berkeman View Post
Please watch the attitude. One of the themes of the PF is that we expect people to do work and research on their own before asking questions here. And we expect to see evidence of those efforts in your original post (OP). That's why I asked the question that I did -- to see what you had done on your own.

We get people coming here all the time trying to get us to do their schoolwork for them, and we try to avoid doing that. Glad you found something that you like as a topic.
I had no problem with your response, and I understand why you asked the question. The fact is that I was in a hurry when I made the OP, but I should have put more details. Any attitude that I had was directed towards the lecture that I recieved any how Google can give million or billions of results in a fraction of a second. Sorry I even asked the question.
Aero51
Jan24-13, 01:23 PM
P: 546
Hypersonic combustion.
Chestermiller
Jan24-13, 08:10 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
Thanks ∞
PF Gold
P: 5,044

I like the idea of carbon sequestation. Another topic along these same lines is fracing (hydrofracturing) in the production of natural gas from shales. This is a big issue in the northeast right now, and has global warming as well as environmental geological implications.
Engineer_Phil
Jan25-13, 01:43 PM
I wish I would have thought of the Hypersonic Combustion issue earlier. I rather loathe global warming discussions. But its a hot item right now, and I've already committed to the carbon sequestration topic.
Aero51
Jan25-13, 05:03 PM
P: 546
Its not like anyone would even know that was an issue unless you're studying fluids or combustion. I like your pun by the way.

Register to reply