Abstract Algebra, Sets Proof

In summary, abstract algebra is a branch of mathematics that studies algebraic structures using abstract concepts. Sets in abstract algebra are collections of elements with shared properties, and proofs involve logical arguments to demonstrate the truth of mathematical statements. Abstract algebra has practical applications in fields such as computer science and cryptography, and common proof techniques include induction, direct proof, proof by contradiction, and proof by contrapositive.
ktheo

Homework Statement

Question 1. Let U be a universal set, A and B two subsets of U.
(1) Show that
B ⊆ A ∪ (B ∩ A^c).
(2) A = B if and only if there exists a subset X of U such that A ∪ X = B ∪ X and X\A^c = X\B^c.

The Attempt at a Solution

My attempt at a solution is as follows:

Part 1: Showing B ⊆ A ∪ (B ∩ A^c)

(A∪B)∩(A∪A^c)
(A∪B)∩([itex]\bigcup[/itex])

Since A∪B are both in universe, it serves that B ⊆ A ∪ (B ∩ A^c).

Part 2
A = B if and only if there exists a subset X of U such that A ∪ X = B ∪ X and X\A^c = X\B^c.

So I claimed double inclusion proof here, letting X[itex]\in[/itex]A

Case 1: X[itex]\in[/itex]X

X[itex]\in[/itex]A[itex]\cup[/itex]X[itex]\Rightarrow[/itex]X[itex]\in[/itex]B[itex]\cup[/itex]X[itex]\Rightarrow[/itex]X[itex]\in[/itex]B

Case 2: X[itex]\notin[/itex]X[itex]\Rightarrow[/itex]X[itex]\in[/itex]X\A^c[itex]\Rightarrow[/itex]X[itex]\in[/itex]X\B^c[itex]\Rightarrow[/itex]X[itex]\in[/itex]X or X[itex]\in[/itex]B^c but X[itex]\notin[/itex]X so X[itex]\in[/itex]B

So I think the problem with this question is that I am not fully understanding the concept of the property known as the difference.

Physics news on Phys.org
ktheo said:
My attempt at a solution is as follows:

Part 1: Showing B ⊆ A ∪ (B ∩ A^c)

(A∪B)∩(A∪A^c)
(A∪B)∩([itex]\bigcup[/itex])

Since A∪B are both in universe, it serves that B ⊆ A ∪ (B ∩ A^c).
I don't understand your proof. May I suggest something along these lines: if [itex]b \in B[/itex], and [itex]b \not\in A[/itex], then [itex]b \in B \cap A^c[/itex]. Therefore...
So I think the problem with this question is that I am not fully understanding the concept of the property known as the difference.
You may find it helpful to use the following identity: [itex]A \setminus B = A \cap B^c[/itex] for any sets [itex]A, B \subset U[/itex].

jbunniii said:
I don't understand your proof. May I suggest something along these lines: if [itex]b \in B[/itex], and [itex]b \not\in A[/itex], then [itex]b \in B \cap A^c[/itex]. Therefore...
Therefore B[itex]\in[/itex]B and B[itex]\in[/itex]A? Is that what you're implying? I'm confused where B[itex]\in[/itex]B comes into play. I'm not sure I know how I'm supposed to approach this then... I thought I was supposed to manipulate the side B into the right side using the property for AUA^c equal to the universe. Or am I supposed to do some sort of proof using inclusion... I kind of use A=B as the signal that I am supposed to do that. I'm sorry bear with me I am quite new to all this...
You may find it helpful to use the following identity: [itex]A \setminus B = A \cap B^c[/itex] for any sets [itex]A, B \subset U[/itex].

When A and B in this case are already compliments, that makes no difference? I can still switch using that identity?

ktheo said:
When A and B in this case are already compliments, that makes no difference? I can still switch using that identity?
Yes, the identity is valid in all cases. If you have something like [itex]X \setminus A^c[/itex] then that equals [itex]X \cap(A^c)^c[/itex] = [itex]X \cap A[/itex].

Hi jbunni, could you check out my second attempt at question part 1:

So B⊆A∪(B∩A^c)

To show this, we can say that when x∈B, implies there exists an x∈A∪(B∩A^c)

We will let x∈B,

Case 1: x∈ A

x∈ A--->x∈ A or x∈(B∩A^c). So clearly, x∈A.

Case 2: x∉A

x∈A or x∈(B∩A^c). We have declared x∉A, so x∈B and x∈A^c. Now we note that X∈A^c is = to X∉A.

Thus proving that B⊆A∪(B∩A^c)

ktheo said:
Hi jbunni, could you check out my second attempt at question part 1:

So B⊆A∪(B∩A^c)

To show this, we can say that when x∈B, implies there exists an x∈A∪(B∩A^c)

We will let x∈B,

Case 1: x∈ A

x∈ A--->x∈ A or x∈(B∩A^c). So clearly, x∈A.

Case 2: x∉A

x∈A or x∈(B∩A^c). We have declared x∉A, so x∈B and x∈A^c. Now we note that X∈A^c is = to X∉A.

Thus proving that B⊆A∪(B∩A^c)

I think you have the right idea, but I would word it somewhat differently. See if this sounds cleaner to you:

Let [itex]x \in B[/itex]. We consider two cases:

Case 1: [itex]x \in A[/itex]. In this case [itex]x \in A \cup (B \cap A^c)[/itex] because [itex]A \subset A \cup (B \cap A^c)[/itex].

Case 2: [itex]x \not\in A[/itex]. Then [itex]x \in (B \cap A^c)[/itex]. Therefore [itex]x \in A \cup (B \cap A^c)[/itex], because [itex](B \cap A^c) \subset A \cup (B \cap A^c)[/itex]

In both cases, we have established that [itex]x \in B[/itex] implies [itex]x \in A \cup (B \cap A^c)[/itex]. This shows that [itex]B \subset A \cup (B \cap A^c)[/itex].

1. What is abstract algebra?

Abstract algebra is a branch of mathematics that studies algebraic structures, such as groups, rings, and fields, using abstract concepts rather than specific numbers or equations. This allows for the generalization of algebraic concepts and the creation of new mathematical structures.

2. What is a set in abstract algebra?

A set in abstract algebra is a collection of elements that share a common property or properties. Sets are often used to represent mathematical objects, such as numbers or vectors, and can be manipulated using operations such as union, intersection, and complement.

3. What is a proof in abstract algebra?

A proof in abstract algebra is a logical argument that demonstrates the truth of a mathematical statement. It typically involves using axioms, definitions, and previously proven theorems to show that a statement is true for all elements of a given algebraic structure.

4. How is abstract algebra used in real life?

Abstract algebra has many practical applications in fields such as computer science, cryptography, physics, and engineering. For example, it is used in coding theory to create error-correcting codes, and in cryptography to secure data transmission.

5. What are some common techniques used in abstract algebra proofs?

Some common techniques used in abstract algebra proofs include induction, direct proof, proof by contradiction, and proof by contrapositive. These techniques involve using logical reasoning and mathematical properties to show the validity of a statement.