linear combination of linear combinations?

by bonfire09
Tags: combination, combinations, linear
bonfire09
Jan25-13, 08:44 PM
P: 219
When the book says "Members of [[S]] are linear combinations of linear combinations of members of S". [S] basically means the span of the members in subspace S. Since
[S] = {c1s1 +... + cnsn|c1...cnεR and s1...snεS} what does [[S]] mean? does it mean a linear combination of atleast one linear or more linear combinations from [S]?
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Cougars' diverse diet helped them survive the Pleistocene mass extinction
Cyber risks can cause disruption on scale of 2008 crisis, study says
Mantis shrimp stronger than airplanes
Fredrik
Jan26-13, 01:52 AM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 9,010
Let V be a finite-dimensional vector space. For all subsets S⊂V, [S] is the set of all v in V such that v is equal to a linear combination of members of S. Since that makes [S] a subset of V, the definition applies to [S] as well. So [[S]] is the set of all v in V such that v is equal to a linear combination of members of [S].

It's possible to prove that if E,F⊂V, the following statements are equivalent (i.e. they're either all true or all false).

(a) E is the set of all v in V such that v is a linear combination of members of F.
(b) E is the intersection of all subspaces that have F as a subset.
(c) E is the smallest subspace that has F as a subset. (This means that if E' is a subspace that has F as a subset, E⊂E').

A set E for which these statements are true is, in your notation, denoted by [F]. If you only look at (a), it's not obvious that [[S]]=[S], but if you look at the other two statements, it is.

Two alternative notations for [S]: span S, ##\bigvee S##.
bonfire09
Jan26-13, 10:12 AM
P: 219
Yeah I forgot to mention [[S]]=[S]. But the book states that [[S]] is a linear combination of linear combinations of the members of [S]. Does this let's say set R={c1,1s1+...+cn,1sn,...,c1,m s1+...+cn,m sn} which is the set of all linear combinations of [S]. And [[S]] just means taking a linear combination of those members in R such as
r1(c1,1s1+...+cnsn)+...+rn(c1,m s1+...+c n,m sn) ? Oh s1,...sn. are elements of S and S is a subspace of V

Fredrik
Jan26-13, 10:56 AM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 9,010

linear combination of linear combinations?

Quote Quote by bonfire09 View Post
Yeah I forgot to mention [[S]]=[S].
I thought that was what you were asking about, not something you already knew.

But the book states that [[S]] is a linear combination of linear combinations of the members of [S]
You mean "of S", right? (Not "of [S]").

Does this let's say set R={c1,1s1+...+cn,1sn,...,c1,m s1+...+cn,m sn} which is the set of all linear combinations of [S].
What does that mean? And did you again mean S when you wrote [S]?

And [[S]] just means taking a linear combination of those members in R such as
r1(c1,1s1+...+cnsn)+...+rn(c1,m s1+...+c n,m sn) ?
I don't understand what you're asking, but the meaning of [[S]] is given by the definition of the [] notation.

Maybe you meant to ask this: If we define R=[S], does that make [[S]]=[R]? The answer is of course yes. The [[]] notation isn't something entirely different from the [] notation. It's just the [] operation done twice.

S is a subspace of V
It doesn't have to be.

I recommend that you start using LaTeX, or at least vBulletin's sup and sub tags. (Like this: E=mc2).

Register to reply