IR Spectra: N-O Nitro group: Why two peaks?

by nbd
Tags: nitro, peaks, spectra
nbd
Jan26-13, 01:28 PM
P: 3
My IR spectra correlation chart for organic chemistry says that the stretch for a nitro N-O bond occurs at "1550 and 1400cm-1" and that it will look like "teeth". Why does N-O have two peaks? The rest of the functional groups on my chart list a range in which a single peak should appear, but why is N-O expected to generate two peaks?

Thanks!
Phys.Org News Partner Chemistry news on Phys.org
Patented research remotely detects nitrogen-rich explosives
Pocket-sized anthrax detector aids global agriculture
Structure of sodium channels different than previously believed
DrDu
Jan26-13, 04:58 PM
Sci Advisor
P: 3,368
Quote Quote by nbd View Post
My IR spectra correlation chart for organic chemistry says that the stretch for a nitro N-O bond occurs at "1550 and 1400cm-1" and that it will look like "teeth". Why does N-O have two peaks? The rest of the functional groups on my chart list a range in which a single peak should appear, but why is N-O expected to generate two peaks?

Thanks!
I suppose symmetric and antisymmetric stretching modes. Note the analogous feature for CH3 groups at around 1430 cm^{-1}.
nbd
Jan27-13, 02:47 PM
P: 3
That makes sense, thank you! In the same vein, I notice that my correlation chart also has the carbon dioxide stretch listed as a "doublet" appearing around 2350 cm-1. Is that for a similar reason as N-O/CH3? In my mind it shouldn't be, because CO2 is not bent and does not have resonance, so the anti-symmetrical stretching would not be IR-active. If that's true, what could be causing the two bands for the carbon dioxide stretch?

Edit: Since this is kind of a new question, I posted it in its own thread here.

Register to reply